Realistic alternative to a corporate bank account?

loaf

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had advice / information on what (if any) are the alternatives in Ireland to holding a corporate bank account.

My question is not based on default-related fear. Instead it's about the potential an individual Irish resident has to conscientiously withdraw their participation in the private banking sector.

How realistic is this, for example, for someone receiving a wage that is electronically transferred?

I know in the UK co-operative banking is an option, but from what I can see there is no equivalent to this in Ireland. The Credit Union, from what I've read, is really not designed to be used as a day-to-day current account.

Any input would be gratefully receieved.

mixer73

You might be interested in this. The site is French but the campaign is being lead by International Superstar Footballer/Soccer Player Eric Cantona!

- bankrun2010.com redirected by MyOwn

loaf

You might be interested in this. The site is French but the campaign is being lead by International Superstar Footballer/Soccer Player Eric Cantona!

- bankrun2010.com redirected by MyOwn
Yeah I saw that earlier this week, and I support it's principles - which is partly why I'm asking about alternatives.

The link you provided doesn't really give practical advice on closing down such accounts. But thanks anyway.

goosebump

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had advice / information on what (if any) are the alternatives in Ireland to holding a corporate bank account.

My question is not based on default-related fear. Instead it's about the potential an individual Irish resident has to conscientiously withdraw their participation in the private banking sector.

How realistic is this, for example, for someone receiving a wage that is electronically transferred?

I know in the UK co-operative banking is an option, but from what I can see there is no equivalent to this in Ireland. The Credit Union, from what I've read, is really not designed to be used as a day-to-day current account.

Any input would be gratefully receieved.
If every one does what you propose to do, the only place to keep your money (if you have any) will be under your mattress.

loaf

If every one does what you propose to do, the only place to keep your money (if you have any) will be under your mattress.
I am aware of the consequences of a collapse of the private banking system. But with political will and genuine democratic support these consequences could be managed.

This strikes me as the much lesser of two evils when compared to allowing the current 'system' to continue.

Anyway, I wasn't necessarily advocating that everybody should close their bank account. This is a personal stand for now.

Tip - check your credit union isn't banking with AIB or BOI (sad fact of life is that CUs actually have bank accounts themselves).

Good news though - You'd be interested in this -

"Credit unions set to go electronic
Irish Examiner story
Monday, April 26, 2010
CREDIT unions are to offer debit cards and electronic transfers in a move described as the biggest single change to the movement in decades..."

Read more: Credit unions set to go electronic | Irish Examiner

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies