Reality Bites

LeDroit

As some of you will know my business, like many, many others, has been under severe pressure. I have twelve full time employees. We've done the massive cost cutting, the wage cuts, and been virtually gymnastic in trying to bring in revenue but all to little avail. My own wage was below one of my employees for two months earlier this year. Over the summer things really got bad. Year on year we're down 40% in revenue.

I've been having ever more drastic meetings with my accountant but today, reality bit. I had to let two people go. These are wonderful workers; dependable, engaging, pleasant and loyal. One has been with me for eight years. I know their partners, one of whom is on the dole, and we have been to each others family events. It was a genuinely horrible experience- shock and tears.

Two years ago I would never have thought I would ever have been in this position. Much is said about 100 redundancies here, 200 there. The numbers mentioned on the news almost depersonalise the tragedy but it came front and centre for me today. The fact that there are ten others looking at their colleagues fate today will also undoubtedly create terrible worry for them too.

But the truly horrible thing is I don't think it'll be the last time I have to have that conversation.

Today, for me, Ireland's reality bit.

dresden8

It has bitten for a lot already.

Sorry to see it come to your door.

spidermom

While we have diasgreed with you over things in the past Droit..I feel for you today!

Really sorry!

LeDroit

While we have diasgreed with you over things in the past Droit..I feel for you today!

Really sorry!
It's worse for them but you're right, I've had better days. It was unreal to be the person who actually has to say the words.

TonyBird

Er yeah . Commiserations . Hard luck to the folks you had to let go aswell.:|

spidermom

It's worse for them but you're right, I've had better days. It was unreal to be the person who actually has to say the words.
As one who often delievers the most awful news I know how you feel.
Might I suggest a stiff drink!...(purely for medicinal purposes course!)

LeDroit

As one who often delievers the most awful news I know how you feel.
Might I suggest a stiff drink!...(purely for medicinal purposes course!)
I'm in at 7am so no drinking on a school night but can't wait til Friday!

spidermom

I'm in at 7am so no drinking on a school night but can't wait til Friday!
48 more hours!!!!....Take care of yourself...you had no other choice!!!

Cael

My own wage was below one of my employees for two months earlier this year.
A chara, sometimes we have to be stripped down so that we can see the truth. I think its time for you to start to question the basis of the capitalist system, and the lies it is based on. You may think Im being insensitive to your grief, but I am not. Its only in moments of great pain that we have the opportunity to learn.

I'm sorry LeDroit. I hope things will improve. In fact, I have a feeeeeling that they will, to copy my tarot card reader sister. I really do.

LeDroit

A chara, sometimes we have to be stripped down so that we can see the truth. I think its time for you to start to question the basis of the capitalist system, and the lies it is based on. You may think Im being insensitive to your grief, but I am not. Its only in moments of great pain that we have the opportunity ot learn.
Cael, I actually appreciate your tact which I didn't expect. But in your ideal world, my employees and I would be engaged in work for it's own sake, regardless of how useful that work was. Also I would have no prospect of earning more regardless of my endeavour, my risk or my enterprise. As bad as today is, there will be good times again for my employees and me. Under your system there is no hope of good times in the future. I'll stick with capitalism comrade.

Cassandra Syndrome

As some of you will know my business, like many, many others, has been under severe pressure. I have twelve full time employees. We've done the massive cost cutting, the wage cuts, and been virtually gymnastic in trying to bring in revenue but all to little avail. My own wage was below one of my employees for two months earlier this year. Over the summer things really got bad. Year on year we're down 40% in revenue.

I've been having ever more drastic meetings with my accountant but today, reality bit. I had to let two people go. These are wonderful workers; dependable, engaging, pleasant and loyal. One has been with me for eight years. I know their partners, one of whom is on the dole, and we have been to each others family events. It was a genuinely horrible experience- shock and tears.

Two years ago I would never have thought I would ever have been in this position. Much is said about 100 redundancies here, 200 there. The numbers mentioned on the news almost depersonalise the tragedy but it came front and centre for me today. The fact that there are ten others looking at their colleagues fate today will also undoubtedly create terrible worry for them too.

But the truly horrible thing is I don't think it'll be the last time I have to have that conversation.

Sorry to here about this LeDroit. I understand the stress, pain and sense of loss you are going through. Keep in mind you are doing your best and it is not your fault.

Keep the chin up and keep what you can afloat as stressful as that may seem, because when the country goes bankrupt we will need and will rely on our existing businesses to service the domestic economy and the last thing we need is a country of people, land and capital and businesses that are misallocated.

I hope you understand I didn't know about your tough day when I ranted earlier.

trekkypj

Tough break, LeDroit.

It's hard being in business in these times. You have to make these sort of terrible decisions to try and keep going. I sympathise.

It's a real shame that both yourself and your employees are in this situation. I hope that you all can muddle through, despite the recession, and hopefully be in a position to re-hire them (plus a few more) in the not too distant future.

LeDroit

I hope you understand I didn't know about your tough day when I ranted earlier.
Thanks but I expect nor want nothing less! I have forceful opinions and expect the same from other posters.

constitutionus

ah that sucks man.

its something thankfully i dont have to do being a mere employee but take consolation it was done from necessity instead of greed.

ive seen people get sacked simply so the boss's could up their profit and your NOT in that catagory so odds are the two dont blame you.

i know it doesnt help much but its is something.

and hey with a bit of luck in the next year or two things could turn around and you may even have the chance to hire em back. ive seen THAT happen too in some of the smaller business i deal with.

my sympathies tonight dude at having to do a really hard thing, particularly considering the size of your endevour which makes it all the more intimate.

PUFF DADDY

sorry to hear that news LeDroit. I follow and mostly agree with your posts and see you have mastered twitter well too ( :) )

My brother in law got let go today, totally unexpectantly, only in job a year and with partner pregnant and unemployed recently too and in neg equity hse etc...it is tough out there.

keep the faith !

and keep posting :)

eoghanacht

Genuinely sad to hear that LeDroit.

Perhaps we'll see a bit more empathy in your politics

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies