Recall Petitions in US politics

GDPR

In Nevada the GOP is attempting to recall three state senate seats won by two Democrats and one independent who votes with the Democrats. The wins were all very narrow and if the recall petitions are successful the GOP may regain control of the Nevada senate lost in the 2016 elections.

This is happening a year after the election and the reasons are mysterious. Read the full story in The Daily Beast:

A Mysterious, Republican-Backed Recall Campaign Could Flip Nevada Politics

This is yet another strange facet of US politics (at least to me). Is the option to recall an election commonplace in the USA? Is it at state and federal level? And can a petition be started to recall the last POTUS election? There are certainly grounds to do so imho, but is it available in law?

I have read somewhere that should Don "Capone" Trump be impeached or found guilty of some illegality in respect of his 2016 win, HRC may take the matter to court. I don't know how her legal team would go about this as it is apparently unprecedented.

So, legal eagles with knowledge of US law, do you have any answers to my various queries? Can those with knowledge of US history cite any other instances of the use of recall petitions and were they successful or not?

tipofdiceberg

In Nevada the GOP is attempting to recall three state senate seats won by two Democrats and one independent who votes with the Democrats. The wins were all very narrow and if the recall petitions are successful the GOP may regain control of the Nevada senate lost in the 2016 elections.

This is happening a year after the election and the reasons are mysterious. Read the full story in The Daily Beast:

This is yet another strange facet of US politics (at least to me). Is the option to recall an election commonplace in the USA? Is it at state and federal level? And can a petition be started to recall the last POTUS election? There are certainly grounds to do so imho, but is it available in law?

I have read somewhere that should Don "Capone" Trump be impeached or found guilty of some illegality in respect of his 2016 win, HRC may take the matter to court. I don't know how her legal team would go about this as it is apparently unprecedented.

So, legal eagles with knowledge of US law, do you have any answers to my various queries? Can those with knowledge of US history cite any other instances of the use of recall petitions and were they successful or not?
What's good for the goose is good for the gander so let the children play.

paddycomeback

Another troll thread from Bubba in Langley. Does P.ie get enough clicks from the US to justify allowing this takeover, or are the mods just too lazy to stop it?

Paddyc

The most famous one would be the "total recall" when Grey Davis was recalled and replaced as Governor of California by Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2003 .

Another troll thread from Bubba in Langley. Does P.ie get enough clicks from the US to justify allowing this takeover, or are the mods just too lazy to stop it?
The OP consists of some questions about procedures in US politics. It was posted in a section of a politics discussion site and was posted in the forum dedicated to US politics. The thread is entirely legitimate.in fact, the OP is remarkably well constructed.

GDPR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election

Skip to USA.

According to wiki (source of all truth - and nothing but the truth) 2011 was a bumper year for recalls.
This. I should add that members of Congress can also be expelled from Congress. So theoretically the people of Alabama might elect Roy Moore in a comparatively short while, then after he has taken his seat in the US Senate he might be expelled from the Senate by his colleagues - even in the absence of any conviction by a court. Such would trigger, I think, a new special election.

GDPR

This. I should add that members of Congress can also be expelled from Congress. So theoretically the people of Alabama might elect Roy Moore in a comparatively short while, then after he has taken his seat in the US Senate he might be expelled from the Senate by his colleagues - even in the absence of any conviction by a court. Such would trigger, I think, a new special election.
Can there be expulsion from the Senate by public petition?

GDPR

Can there be expulsion from the Senate by public petition?
No. It is for the Senate to decide on the expulsion of senators and for the House to decide upon the expulsion of Representatives according to the US constitution. Note that I'm not saying that Moore would be expelled if he were to win the election, mind you. I'm merely noting it's a possibility (if he wins, I would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if it were to even come to come to an expulsion investigation).

GDPR

No. It is for the Senate to decide on the expulsion of senators and for the House to decide upon the expulsion of Representatives according to the US constitution. Note that I'm not saying that Moore would be expelled if he were to win the election, mind you. I'm merely noting it's a possibility (if he wins, I would be surprised, and pleasantly so, if it were to come to that).
Thx. So recall does not happen at federal level for either Congress or the POTUS?

Finbar10

I think these mostly only happen at local level in the States (though I think a few states have such mechanisms too). I don't think it exists at federal level. While I'm generally in favour of direct democracy, I wouldn't be a fan of recall mechanisms (IMO injects too much potentially partisan instability) especially without some of the usual other direct democracy mechanisms. Even in Switzerland, there are no recall mechanisms at the federal level (parliament always lasts four years). A minority of the cantons have it, but it is almost never used (plenty of other mechanisms like initiative-triggered referendums for citizens to get their way; also governing in Switzerland is usually done by consensus, with the executive/cabinet having members from all major parties).

NYCKY

Thx. So recall does not happen at federal level for either Congress or the POTUS?
No, this is done at the state level or below that. There was an attempt to "recall" Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin a few years ago but it was defeated.

Not every state has such an option, it is typically the Western and newer states that have this.

New Threads

Most Replies