• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

The Banker

I wouldnt dream of drinking in a bar that charges less than €5 a pint. It keeps the riff raff out

The Banker

Deserted? Well, it'll be something to look forward to the next time I'm there, probably Christmas. My local here is packed, even on a Wednesday night and gets too crowded, even after the introduction of a smoking ban earlier in the year. The smoking ban as it affects pubs looks set to be "modified" in any case. I wouldn't mind but at CHF 8.90 a pint of Hoogaarden, they're not exactly giving it away either.
Smoking ban modified?

Do tell

gayguy2000

Dublin is awful for pubs. Carlsberg Heino and Bud and the stouts on tap, in every place. Like a feckin' monopoly. Hate giving them my money these days and they deserve to go down.

Arracht

They are giving the customers what they want.

There are a some pubs which have the likes of O'Haras and Galway Hooker on draught, then of there's the Porterhouse and Messrs Maguire with their own beers.

ONQ

There is one pub I heard of in west Dublin who took the view that they wanted some more custom.

They became "family friendly" and cut the cost of the beer by €1.00.

That got the mums and dads in, who still had ot pay full what for the kids drinks.

My details may be wrong because I have this third hand, but the principle sounds right.

They made a fortune - still are.

Pubs went past their sweet price point a long time ago - they need to drop their prices.

As for the fags, what Single European Market?

You can buy a packet of twenty fags in Italy for €4.00

The same packet of fags costs €8.50 here and its to go up to €9.00.

That is ridiculous - I don't smoke myself, and I recommend everyone who does should cut back or give them up entirely - but that kind of pricing is ridiculous!

ONQ.

fat finger

Last edited:
Last edited:
Several pubs will open up again next week, kickstarting summer for the country's army of social drinkers. There'll be an odd smell of course in the first few days, but soon trade will be humming along nicely again as if coronabogus never happened. But please, customers, if you are not entirely comfortable spending time in your local pub again, STAY AWAY. Under no circumstances should patrons wear a face mask inside the establishment. If in any doubt about germs in the pub, do not enter it, stay at home instead. After waiting so long for this great reopening, social drinkers do not want to find their pub packed with moaning minnies. You enter the pub entirely at your own risk and if you don't like that risk, DO NOT ENTER the establishment.

Round tower

Several pubs will open up again next week, kickstarting summer for the country's army of social drinkers. There'll be an odd smell of course in the first few days, but soon trade will be humming along nicely again as if coronabogus never happened. But please, customers, if you are not entirely comfortable spending time in your local pub again, STAY AWAY. Under no circumstances should patrons wear a face mask inside the establishment. If in any doubt about germs in the pub, do not enter it, stay at home instead. After waiting so long for this great reopening, social drinkers do not want to find their pub packed with moaning minnies. You enter the pub entirely at your own risk and if you don't like that risk, DO NOT ENTER the establishment.
Agree

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Wonder are there any space-suits available on ebay. You could get the barman to plug in a drip and fill up the spacesuit with beer or sherry or whatever your tipple happens to be, up to the nose level. After that it is up to the customer to drink their way back to mobility before closing time. The radio calls between alconaut and pals would be fantastic after an hour or so.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Jacques Cousteau's son flippers his way into a well known Alconaut pub. Barman tells him to clear off as they don't serve his kind in that Astrobar :)

Betson

Pubs don't really open up proper until 20th July , some will open Monday but they won't really be functioning pubs as there will be time limits and mandatory food etc. That is not a real pub experience.

And there is still no guidelines issued yet for pubs that will open back proper on the 20th July.

puffin

Jazz or no Jazz, a Friday night in Cork was always busy. The absence of young people was unnerving.

They have no money. No jobs. No prospects. A few of them also attached with a millstone of a mortgage for the rest of their lives.

Locals where I live are having their home heating oil stolen. By next March when the Govt can't borrow, Ireland is going to be a horrible and dangerous place to be.
The band is still playing, and the captain says there is nothing to worry about as the Euro is unsinkable, and you know what there isn’t enough life boats to go around.

gijoe

It was very telling that Wetherspoon's have not stocked Guinness in Ireland because of the different pricing in different territories. Wetherspoon's are getting good prices and discounts in the UK but not Ireland. Surely this should be a matter for a monopoly investigation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom