Recognition of the Irish State

MichaelR

SF wants to be a Government party in the state known as the Republic of Ireland.

Moreover, it is campaigning for a United Ireland in the EU, with Adams slanted to speak in Cork soon (as in Saturday Jan 24). The only United Ireland that can be a part of the EU without an ascension process is an enlarged Republic of Ireland.

So I would like to understand Sinn Féin's position regarding this state, officially named Ireland, described and known as the Republic of Ireland, since its democratic adoption of the Constitution in the year 1937.

Does Sinn Féin recognize that this state, since 1937, is the legitimate Irish State?

Does Sinn Féin recognize that, since 1937, any and all violence against police forces of this State, civilian citizens of this State, and foreigners legally present in this State has been unequivocally and utterly wrong?

Does Sinn Féin condemn killing of all Gardaí by groups styling themselves IRA, from John Roche (1940) and Denis O'Brien to Jerry McCabe? If it does, why does its Kerry branch hold commemorations for Charlie Kerins, who was convicted for the murder of Denis O'Brien? Sinn Féin holds its annual Charlie Kerins commemoration this evening | Radio Kerry

This thread is not about the British state, its presence in the six counties known as Northern Ireland, or any engagement with its forces.

But I would appreciate if anyone could ask these questions in Cork. If Adams comes to speak in Limerick I'll try to ask him. Yes I am naturalized; I have, in that process, pledged loyalty to this State that I am asking about.

Eire1976

SF wants to be a Government party in the state known as the Republic of Ireland.

Moreover, it is campaigning for a United Ireland in the EU, with Adams slanted to speak in Cork soon (as in Saturday Jan 24). The only United Ireland that can be a part of the EU without an ascension process is an enlarged Republic of Ireland.

So I would like to understand Sinn Féin's position regarding this state, officially named Ireland, described and known as the Republic of Ireland, since its democratic adoption of the Constitution in the year 1937.

Does Sinn Féin recognize that this state, since 1937, is the legitimate Irish State?

Does Sinn Féin recognize that, since 1937, any and all violence against police forces of this State, civilian citizens of this State, and foreigners legally present in this State has been unequivocally and utterly wrong?

Does Sinn Féin condemn killing of all Gardaí by groups styling themselves IRA, from John Roche (1940) and Denis O'Brien to Jerry McCabe? If it does, why does its Kerry branch hold commemorations for Charlie Kerins, who was convicted for the murder of Denis O'Brien? Sinn Féin holds its annual Charlie Kerins commemoration this evening | Radio Kerry

This thread is not about the British state, its presence in the six counties known as Northern Ireland, or any engagement with its forces.

But I would appreciate if anyone could ask these questions in Cork. If Adams comes to speak in Limerick I'll try to ask him. Yes I am naturalized; I have, in that process, pledged loyalty to this State that I am asking about.
I think you're about 25 years too late with this thread matey

MichaelR

Then it would be easy to quote official party policy? I mean, if SF has officially become Clann na Poblachta make 2, that would be nice, but needs proof. And can you explain the yearly Charlie Kerins commemorations?

P.S. But on the topic of Clann na Poblachta - the 30th anniversary of Seán McBride's death was a few days ago and not a word from Mary Lou or Gerry? Or have I missed something?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Then it would be easy to quote official party policy? I mean, if SF has officially become Clann na Poblachta make 2, that would be nice, but needs proof. And can you explain the yearly Charlie Kerins commemorations?

P.S. But on the topic of Clann na Poblachta - the 30th anniversary of Seán McBride's death was a few days ago and not a word from Mary Lou or Gerry? Or have I missed something?
Why not write to them and simply ask?

GDPR

They accept it as a de facto reality that isn't going to go away any time soon. The people who really cared about "Republican Legitimism" left them in 1986 and those who sort of cared left around the GFA or their recognition of the PSNI.

GDPR

Write to who? I wrote to Ferris a few years ago on Facebook asking about the Kerins commemoration, he predictably ignored the question.
They would probably say that was than and this is now. Something that interested me greatly was finding out that what the caused the real massive falling out between Dev and the Republican Ultras was Dev's refusal to crush CnG. They had a great slogan- "No Free Speech for Traitors!". I have great respect for Dev but I really do think they were in the right and he was in wrong on this question.

Sync

Supra

I sense anger. You might try counting to 10 before trying to pick a fight.

hollandia

So let me get this right...
with Adams slanted to speak in Cork soon (as in Saturday Jan 24).
And you post this a 11pm on the 26th.

Nuff said.

hollandia

Write to who? I wrote to Ferris a few years ago on Facebook asking about the Kerins commemoration, he predictably ignored the question.
You could try and old fashioned letter. If you wanted to be particularly clever about it - by registered post. I'm pretty sure most politicians, if not, of all hues do not conduct business like this via facebook.

MichaelR

They would probably say that was than and this is now. Something that interested me greatly was finding out that what the caused the real massive falling out between Dev and the Republican Ultras was Dev's refusal to crush CnG. They had a great slogan- "No Free Speech for Traitors!". I have great respect for Dev but I really do think they were in the right and he was in wrong on this question.
So he should have destroyed Irish democracy after using it to get in power?

I actually respect Dev a lot for his sticking to democracy since 1932, despite disagreeing with him in a lot of things (including the mid-30s trade war). He reconstituted the state based on a referendum, ending the issue of the Free State that could be seen as founded by the British. And when he lost the elections in 1948, he stepped down.

asset test

An election will sort it out here. In ROI I mean.

But that could be a way off yet, still a week is a long time in........

redmonite

So he should have destroyed Irish democracy after using it to get in power?

I actually respect Dev a lot for his sticking to democracy since 1932, despite disagreeing with him in a lot of things (including the mid-30s trade war). He reconstituted the state based on a referendum, ending the issue of the Free State that could be seen as founded by the British. And when he lost the elections in 1948, he stepped down.
It's easy to be a democrat when you win and even Ind the late 40s and 50s Dev still got over 40% of the vote

InsideImDancing

Why do you care? I'm assuming you'd never vote for them anyway?

The Herren

Wrong , the questions are as relevant now more than ever because for the first time in it's history SF/IRA has potential to be part of a government in this State. Of course, SF/IRA will not give any honest anwer to any of the questions posed by MichaelR because their whole existence and legacy is based on lies. Asking SF/IRA to admit to the truth behind these questions would be like asking the Catholic Church to deny the death and resurrection of Christ.

Last edited:

The Herren

You could try and old fashioned letter. If you wanted to be particularly clever about it - by registered post. I'm pretty sure most politicians, if not, of all hues do not conduct business like this via facebook.
So you believe a scumbag like Ferris would reply to a registered letter? Why do you believe that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies