Recommend a book

Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Yours truly (finally!) will be taking a holiday this year, but rather than clubbing in some sunny tropic, I'll be spending it down the country, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I've amassed a pile of books I intend to get through over the time I'm away, some I've had for weeks, some months, and one or two have sat on my shelf never read, longing for me to have the time.

----

So, I want to ask you good P.ie People to recommend a book, one or two things to point out.

1) I don't do fiction, and if I do it's *very* rare, so if you're going to suggest a fictional text, be warned

2) I tend to read as much as I can in the area of media and politics, so anything in this area is a plus

But namely I genuinely interested in members of P.ie to talk about their favourite book and why.

The most convincing suggestions before Thursday will most likely result in their purchase in a bookshop before the weekend! ;)
 


Bobert

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
1,071
Re: Reccommend a book

About time you took a holiday.

How are you with History?

Biographies?

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia

My favourite historical book.

It goes into extraordinary detail of the influence the Mafia had on the politics and media (See... I didn't forget) of Sicily, Italy, and the U.S.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Re: Reccommend a book

Bobert said:
It goes into extraordinary detail of the influence the Mafia had on the politics and media (See... I didn't forget) of Sicily, Italy, and the U.S.
Crikey - I'm going on holiday, I'm not getting detention! ;)
 

Mr B

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
38
I recommend "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins. I found it has enlightened my perspective on global affairs. It was an interesting read as the author was someone who directly influenced multiple countries economic and political status.

A real eye opener on a global scale!
 

R Paul

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
29
Well, you'll need to get it on an inter-library loan (or equivalent) as it our of print, but you could try adding Jean Monnet's Memoirs to your book list. :)
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
I disapprove of books. Books are used by the middle-class to oppress us working class people.
 

Bobert

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
1,071
Re: Reccommend a book

David Cochrane said:
Bobert said:
It goes into extraordinary detail of the influence the Mafia had on the politics and media (See... I didn't forget) of Sicily, Italy, and the U.S.
Crikey - I'm going on holiday, I'm not getting detention! ;)
Fine, get a Mills & Boon.

Or, and this sounds fruity....

Wait until you get to wherever it is your going, then you can swap with other guests. The last holiday I went on had a guest swap box. Was good.
 

Jesus is Lord

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
6
It has to be The Holy Bible.........oh! and that other book...............Your Passport! :D :D :D :D :D
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
R Paul said:
Well, you'll need to get it on an inter-library loan (or equivalent) as it our of print, but you could try adding Jean Monnet's Memoirs to your book list. :)
7 Copies available on Amazon, but won't reach me by the weekend I figure. :(
 

Bobert

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
1,071
David Cochrane said:
[quote="R Paul":2qscy3uv]Well, you'll need to get it on an inter-library loan (or equivalent) as it our of print, but you could try adding Jean Monnet's Memoirs to your book list. :)
7 Copies available on Amazon, but won't reach me by the weekend I figure. :([/quote:2qscy3uv]


If you ring Charlie Byrne's bookshop, Middle Street, Galway, you should be able to get a copy. They supply the NUIG library on occasion and Monnet was on the curriculum a while back. Otherwise try the DCU and Trinity bookshop.
 

Jesus is Lord

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
6
David Cochrane said:
[quote="Jesus is Lord":3nsyhb86]It has to be The Holy Bible.
I said I don't do fiction!!! :roll:[/quote:3nsyhb86]

Thats no way to speak about an official document :shock:
 

FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,980
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Breaking the Mould by Stephen Collins is interesting, given that small parties are a breath of fresh air until they are assimilated by the Establishment borg.
 

Jesus is Lord

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
6
Jesus is Lord said:
It has to be The Holy Bible.........oh! and that other book...............Your Passport! :D :D :D :D :D
:D
 

Stíofán

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
83
Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
David Cochrane said:
2) I tend to read as much as I can in the area of media and politics, so anything in this area is a plus
How about the Lisbon Treaty? Available here.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
FutureTaoiseach said:
Breaking the Mould by Stephen Collins is interesting, given that small parties are a breath of fresh air until they are assimilated by the Establishment borg.
Read it, I have two copies (don't ask!) - I wasn't impressed actually, being a former PDer, I didn't find it particularly strong at the end, nor sufficiently critical of why the party failed. Great in the origins of the start of the party, but anything from 97 on was rather weak.
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,249
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Stíofán said:
[quote="David Cochrane":3hnud2rv]2) I tend to read as much as I can in the area of media and politics, so anything in this area is a plus
How about the Lisbon Treaty? Available here.[/quote:3hnud2rv]

I read Peadar's version a few times, I read Jens Peter Bonde's reader friendly edition some, but thanks for the lazy stupid comment, nice to see you're being productive with your evening.
 

Bobert

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
1,071
David Cochrane said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Breaking the Mould by Stephen Collins is interesting, given that small parties are a breath of fresh air until they are assimilated by the Establishment borg.
Read it, I have two copies (don't ask!) - I wasn't impressed actually, being a former PDer, I didn't find it particularly strong at the end, nor sufficiently critical of why the party failed. Great in the origins of the start of the party, but anything from 97 on was rather weak.
How much you want for one?
 

Stíofán

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
83
Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
Re: Reccommend a book

Bobert said:
Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia

My favourite historical book.
A fantastic book!
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top