recommend me a book/resource about WW2

asset test

OK, I'm interested again. Studied it at school and College, but that was so long ago.

I want to get an overview of the whole thing again. Was speaking with a Polish guy recently and it piqued my interest once more. He was a mine of information about the impact the war had on his country.

Anyway, just want some tome that will cover all fronts in an accessible way.

If anyone can recommend that would be great. I am going to brush up on my history again.

I don't want any criticisms of my lack of personal research thanks!, The subject is so wide it seems to be quite difficult to just get a broad picture. After that I can look into things that specifically interest me.

I hope I am not making anyone grind their teeth with derision. :p

stopdoingstuff

"We were taken to a secret location, known only to us and the enemy."

dresden8

Max Hastings is always good. Very British but good with it.

Beevor is also good.

sgtharper

For a start, any book on the subject by Anthony Beevor or Max Hastings and you won't go far wrong.

drummed

Bloodlands - Timothy Synder.

Tells you what you need to know about Poland, Ukraine and Belarus. And Russia.

O

Oscurito

For a start, any book on the subject by Anthony Beevor or Max Hastings and you won't go far wrong.
You stole my punchline, Mr Harper. When the family Kris Kindle comes around, I'll be dropping subtle hints about this - his most recent release.

Accidental sock

Have only read some of the books referenced....and would like to get my hands on Antony Beevor...but...

I have finished Medal of Honour, twice, on PSII

drummed

You can also have a look at all the most excellent threads on this site concerning the holocaust. :rolleyes:

asset test

Thanks all so far. As someone else said, a few suggestions for the Christmas pressies there alright.

jmcc

Definitely the Max Hastings' books. They humanise the history in the way a good journalist does. Len Deighton's Blitzkreig book is also quite interesting. From a cryptographer's point of view, Stephan Budiansky's "Battle Of Wits" provides a very good background on the cryptography and its impact. One of Hasting's, ("The Secret War"), also covers it but from a more generalist perspective that focuses on the personalities.

Accidental sock

You can also have a look at all the most excellent threads on this site concerning the holocaust. :rolleyes:
ya had to fire up the bat-signal, didn't ya?

danger here

What I really liked about it is that the author manages to give an account of the war from as broad a perspective as possible and he goes outside of the traditional Western narrative. It gives you a good idea of how little a role the UK and US actually had overall, while it spends a lot of time in places like Belarus, Poland and Ukraine covering everything from civilian life to the practical effects of multiple occupations and expulsions inflicted on the locals in much of that part of the world. There really wasn't too much difference in their experience between the Nazis and Soviets.

Very engaging and really gives you a different perspective on things, particularly over the Saving Private Ryan type of bravado we associate with WWII.

former wesleyan

The Cambridge History of The Second World War. three vol set.

Written by historians, each with an area of speciality.

And there'll be a bibliography.

flavirostris

On the military side, has to be Beevor, especially his Stalingrad masterpiece. One of the most powerful books ever written and captures the descent of the Germans from full hubris and swagger into catastrophe over the course of a few months in late 1942.

dresden8

Read Beevor's book about the fall of Berlin. Can't currently recall the name. A relentless tale of rape in the most horrific circumstances. Had to give up.

drummed

Read Beevor's book about the fall of Berlin. Can't currently recall the name. A relentless tale of rape in the most horrific circumstances. Had to give up.

Downfall.

GDPR

I would recommend Richard J. Evans' The Third Reich at War. It is not a military history and won't always go very in depth when it comes to battles and such, but it will provide you with a focus on the German experience of the war and will also discuss the German home front.

Although it is not exactly what you're asking for I can also recommend Ian Kershaw's "The End: Hitler's Germany 1944-45". In essence Kershaw seeks to answer the question: Why did Germany fight on to the bitter end? It's a relatively rare thing to do for a state and a question worth asking.

New Threads

Most Replies