Recommended books?

Alliance

So whats everyone been reading lately?

Just finished Nathaniel Philbricks Mayflower which was excellent and now reading his book At the heart of the sea, the story which inspired Moby Dick. Both highly recommended.

On a more serious note I started reading a book about the Irish Conservative Party published by Irish Academic Press. Packed with information. Nice read.

CookieMonster

Started reading The Reagan Diaries. Interesting stuff.

Catalpa

Forked out for Volume I of A New History of Ireland: Pre-Historic and Early Ireland

This is a big book but it is packed with info about our Country's early history and can be read in small chunks that are easy to take in.

There is quite a lot of extracts from it here:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=SJSDj1d ... ry_s&cad=0

Also working my way through:

Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars: The Invasions of Ireland 1306-1329
Author(s): Duffy, Sean

Preface
The Bruce Invasion of Ireland: a Revised Itinerary and Chronology
Sean Duffy

The Bruce Brothers and the Irish Sea World, 1306--29
Sean Duffy

The Bruce Invasion of Ireland: an Examination of Some Problems
James Lydon

The Scottish Soldier Abroad: the Bruce Invasion and the Galloglass
James Lydon

The Battle of Faughart
G.O. Sayles

The Impact of the Bruce Invasion, 1315--27
James Lydon

A Sequel to Edward Bruce's Invasion of Ireland
Ranald Nicholson

Appendix A The Brus: the History of Robert the Bruce King of Scots
Appendix B The Remonstrance of the Irish Princes to Pope John XXII, 1317
Notes 187
Illustration List 211
Bibliography

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
I'm reading Lord of the Rings again. Beautiful book, don't think I realised just how beautiful first time I read it.

The Collective.

I boutggt the Game. But I think I've lost it. The book I mean.

mothball

About to finish The Easter Rising by Dr. Barton and Dr. Foy.

It gives great first hand accounts on the events of the week from numerous sources, civilian, volunteers and the British.

Can anyone recommend a good book relating to the civil war with a similar tone?

Pauli

CookieMonster said:
I take it we are talking about Ronald Reagan, descendant of Ballyporeen.
Well, Cookie, you started at 2 so you should be finished now. Would you recommend it?

Alliance

Catalpa said:
Robert the Bruce's Irish Wars: The Invasions of Ireland 1306-1329
Author(s): Duffy, Sean
been meaning to pick that one up. Duffy has always had an exceptional ability to make his books very reabable, something rather rare in academic circles.

Catalpa

mothball said:
About to finish The Easter Rising by Dr. Barton and Dr. Foy.

It gives great first hand accounts on the events of the week from numerous sources, civilian, volunteers and the British.

Can anyone recommend a good book relating to the civil war with a similar tone?
Thought it was so- so myself - a bit too revisionist for my liking but had some interesting observations all the same.

Uinseann MacEoin, Survivors, Dublin, 1980 has pleanty of first hand accounts of those times from the Republican side incl the Civil War - if you can find a copy that is!

Ireland's Civil War by Calton Younger is broader based and a good read too - plenty of first hand accounts as well as a narrative history of what happened.

Alliance

Slartibuckfast said:
I'm reading Lord of the Rings again. Beautiful book, don't think I realised just how beautiful first time I read it.
Couldn't ever get into that one. Think it's in the love it or hate it bracket. I did enjoy reading many of the old icelandic sagas though. Not the same thing of course but must have been some inspiration for Tolkien. Just watched an old Icelandic movie last night called "The Raven Flies" about a group of Norwegian Vikings who raid Ireland and kill the mother and father of a family, take their daughter as a slave and the son then goes to iceland to beat the crap out of them all. maybe i'm just going off in another direction...the viking connection et cetra

CookieMonster

Pauli said:
CookieMonster said:
Well, Cookie, you started at 2 so you should be finished now. Would you recommend it?
I would. I'm a Reagan Fan anyway but the private insight to his thoughts is truly fascinating. You've to be well up on your American political history though or you may miss the people and events he is talking about. I'm finding myself hopping onto Wiki ever now and then to put things in context.

Catalpa

CookieMonster said:
Pauli said:
CookieMonster said:
I would. I'm a Reagan Fan anyway but the private insight to his thoughts is truly fascinating. You've to be well up on your American political history though or you may miss the people and events he is talking about. I'm finding myself hopping onto Wiki ever now and then to put things in context.
Can't say I've heard of this book but you've got me interested now.

Pauli

CookieMonster said:
Pauli said:
CookieMonster said:
I ask because I lived in the USA throughout his second term in office

CookieMonster

Catalpa said:
CookieMonster said:
Pauli said:
CookieMonster said:
Can't say I've heard of this book but you've got me interested now.
Amazon.com and NYTimes review.

CookieMonster

Pauli said:
Love him or lothe him it would be more interesting for you then, giving an unparalled insight behind the events that impacted you most.

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
Alliance said:
Slartibuckfast said:
Couldn't ever get into that one. Think it's in the love it or hate it bracket. I did enjoy reading many of the old icelandic sagas though. Not the same thing of course but must have been some inspiration for Tolkien. Just watched an old Icelandic movie last night called "The Raven Flies" about a group of Norwegian Vikings who raid Ireland and kill the mother and father of a family, take their daughter as a slave and the son then goes to iceland to beat the crap out of them all. maybe i'm just going off in another direction...the viking connection et cetra
I am certainly in the love it bracket. It was even my favourite book before now, and now it's growing even more in stature with me.

Oppenheimer

Slartibuckfast said:
Alliance said:
Slartibuckfast said:
I am certainly in the love it bracket. It was even my favourite book before now, and now it's growing even more in stature with me.
Any other "fantasy" recommendations? It is a genre I have become deflated with - probably because it became diluted in the past few years as many writers came into the field based on the success of TLOTR. I did in the past read a lot of Gemmell, Feist and Pratchett but have not gone too far beyond. I am reading "The Hobbit" with my kids at the moment and they're getting great fun out of it - Tolkien is a greatn "imaginer" even if the quality of his writing is not the best.

Pauli

CookieMonster said:
Pauli said:
Love him or lothe him it would be more interesting for you then, giving an unparalled insight behind the events that impacted you most.
The event at the time that impacted me most was the 1986 World Cup. Together with Scottish, Dutch and Swedish friends, I very quickly got fed up with the coverage on US television. (They missed 4 goals in the Denmark-Uruguay match because they had to advertise Izusu Pick-ups and Miller beer) So we watched it on SIN, the Spanish Independent Network. Most of the matches we watched in a Mexican Cantina where the majority of the patrons were from Central and South America. I got to know many Mexicans, Bolivians, Uruguayans, Argentinians, Colombians, Peruvians and Chileans during this particular World Cup. Very nice people. The Chileans were very interesting. They opened my eyes for me. They had been experiencing the Neo Con con job for 12 years at that stage, Friedmanist monetarism having being imposed on Chile in perfect conditions for such an economic experiment, a military dictatorship. Interestingly, the NeoCon experiment went totally off the rails 9 years into the experiment with a terrible financial crash in 1982. The entire banking sector had to be nationalised. Only at the end of the decade did Chile recover to income levels pre-Pinochet. After that, I looked at Reagan in a different light. Now, it seems, what happened in Chile in 1982 could be happening to the US itself. As Reagan's wife might have said.

"Monetarism. Just say No"

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
Ah his prose in LOTR is beautiful, especially when it comes to invoking the landscape in your mind.

No, haven't really read that many fantasy books, even though I like all that wizards, heroes, demons stuff. Gemmell's Waylander I've read, some other sagas I can't even mind the name of at the moment (they were good though). So not much help there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies