• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Record numbers in poverty!

Fr.Ted Crilly

b.a. baracus

Maybe Fr Healy should ask Pope Benny (In Administration) to sell off some of the billions of goodies in the Vatican as a leaving gesture to help out his poor flock.

goosebump

How is poverty measured and calculated?
If I recall correctly, its something to do with the number of pairs of shoes you have, the numbers of times you eat a roast joint of meat each week, and what version iPhone you have.

Mackers

They all need to get jobs in RTE. I heard some prat called Mooney on the radio saying people shouldn't eat cheap burgers, and should do what he does and only buy your meat from the local butcher. So everyone head up to Montrose and ask for a start.

IbrahaimMohamad

If I recall correctly, its something to do with the number of pairs of shoes you have, the numbers of times you eat a roast joint of meat each week, and what version iPhone you have.
It is the based on a percentage of the average income.. Such Statistical poverty is impossible to fix.

b.a. baracus

Nobody in Ireland should live in poverty. The social welfare system is adequate to meet all basic needs plus you receive rent allowance and free world class medical care.

There is little or no absolute poverty in Ireland but of course these things don't measure real poverty they measure relative poverty which is a pile of poo-poo.

It is an insult to those who live in the 3rd world to suggest that somebody in Ireland lives in real poverty. The rare cases of real poverty in Ireland are caused by neglect of children by parents, severe mental health problems and perhaps some addictions.

IbrahaimMohamad

Nobody in Ireland should live in poverty. The social welfare system is adequate to meet all basic needs plus you receive rent allowance and free world class medical care.

There is little or no absolute poverty in Ireland but of course these things don't measure real poverty they measure relative poverty which is a pile of poo-poo.

It is an insult to those who live in the 3rd world to suggest that somebody in Ireland lives in real poverty. The rare cases of real poverty in Ireland are caused by neglect of children by parents, severe mental health problems and perhaps some addictions.
Do you realise we can't have a poverty industry without some kind of definition of poverty that defines a sizeable lobby group?

What is Poverty?
"People are living in poverty if their income and resources (material, cultural and social) are so inadequate as to preclude them from having a standard of living which is regarded as acceptable by Irish society generally. As a result of inadequate income and other resources people may be excluded and marginalised from participating in activities which are considered the norm for other people in society."

This is the Irish Government's definition of poverty in its National Action Plan for Social Inclusion 2007-2016.

http://www.combatpoverty.ie/povertyinireland/whatispoverty.htm

So what is the Standard of living that is regarded as acceptable?

Last edited:

Tin Foil Hat

Porkypie

Maybe Fr Healy should ask Pope Benny (In Administration) to sell off some of the billions of goodies in the Vatican as a leaving gesture to help out his poor flock.
The goodies in the Vatican belong to Italy and not the RC as was pointed out to me when I made the same suggestion.

True Republican

All funding should be stopped to the poverty industry, they are full of bleeding heart, middle class do gooders.

feargach

How is poverty measured and calculated?
I would propose education as a key determinant. If a child attends a school where the majority of students obtain 250 or more points in the Leaving Cert, that child is very unlikely to be poor. Ditto, if child attends a school where the majority of students obtain 100 or fewer points in the Leaving Cert, that child is very likely to be poor.

b.a. baracus

The goodies in the Vatican belong to Italy and not the RC as was pointed out to me when I made the same suggestion.
They always have a bullsh*t story about why they have to keep the gold chalices and million dollar pieces of art. That is just the latest one.

Fr Healy's pals still owe us hundreds of millions for the Redress Board by the way.

feargach

Can people afford to get hammered drunk every weekend?
They can in most cities in non-Muslim Africa! Ergo, non-Muslim Africa is very rich.

Are you aware that getting drunk requires nothing more than the ability to obtain fermentable sugars and the know-how to ferment them? Lots of loot are not required.

Or are you under the impression that Ireland was sober back in the 1980s when it was poor?

b.a. baracus

Do you realise we can't have a poverty industry without some kind of definition of poverty that defines a sizeable lobby group?
Of course.

You are I assume also aware that research always provides the results the person who commissioned it wants.

There has never been a case involving ANY NGO where the situation is getting better and they require less funding. And if it is shown that the situation is getting better then they move the goalposts.

Ruhama will always say prostitution is getting worse and they need more cash.
ASH will always say smoking is getting worse and they need more cash.
The Immigrant Council of Ireland will always say racism is getting worse and they need more cash.
There is probably a smallpox society out there getting a few hundred million off the State to combat smallpox.

Irish National member

They can in most cities in non-Muslim Africa! Ergo, non-Muslim Africa is very rich.

Are you aware that getting drunk requires nothing more than the ability to obtain fermentable sugars and the know-how to ferment them? Lots of loot are not required.

Or are you under the impression that Ireland was sober back in the 1980s when it was poor?
so why do they come here in their droves?

sondagefaux

Social Justice Ireland has challenged the Government
Fr Seán Healy, S.M.A. and Sr Brigid Reynolds, S.M. are to lead Social Justice Ireland. This organisation will take over the programmes and projects run in recent decades by CORI Justice including its social partnership role.
Seán Healy and Brigid Reynolds to head Social Justice Ireland | Social Justice Ireland

The same CORI that stiffed the Irish taxpayer for hundreds of millions in compensation payments for the victims of clerical abuse?

I'll start taking CORI and its offshoots seriously when they start accepting financial responsibility for the children whose lives they ruined.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies