Record surge in CO2 in 2016

McTell

Twitter
No
I would say, break out the Sackcloth and Ashes. Except that would raise CO2 even more. petunia

The shocker with 2016 is that CO2 is rising, but human emitted CO2 is not. Or just a bit. Not enough to make a fuss about, but just enough to employ thousands of scientists and rake in billions in "levies" and extra taxes.

Record surge in atmospheric CO2 seen in 2016 - BBC News

Concentrations of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere surged to a record high in 2016, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Last year's increase was 50% higher than the average of the past 10 years.le.

But all is well

Global carbon growth stalls as US coal continues to slump - BBC News

Declining consumption of coal in the US last year played a significant role in keeping down global emissions of carbon dioxide, according to a new report.
The Global Carbon Project annual analysis shows that CO2 emissions were almost flat for the third year in a row, despite a rise in economic growth.
The slowdown in the Chinese economy since 2012 has also been a key factor limiting carbon.
Experts believe it is too early to say if global CO2 emissions have peaked.

The Field Marshal

I love the smell of co2 in the morning.

Dame_Enda

De-forestation might explain it as trees absorb carbon emissions. Still problems with rogue loggers including by US companies in Guatemala.

McTell

Twitter
No
De-forestation might explain it as trees absorb carbon emissions. Still problems with rogue loggers including by US companies in Guatemala.

Carbon emissions are good for plant growth.

Ice ages not so good. Plants = more food for us.

Turbinator

I would say, break out the Sackcloth and Ashes. Except that would raise CO2 even more. petunia

The shocker with 2016 is that CO2 is rising, but human emitted CO2 is not. Or just a bit. Not enough to make a fuss about, but just enough to employ thousands of scientists and rake in billions in "levies" and extra taxes.

Record surge in atmospheric CO2 seen in 2016 - BBC News

Concentrations of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere surged to a record high in 2016, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Last year's increase was 50% higher than the average of the past 10 years.le.

But all is well

Global carbon growth stalls as US coal continues to slump - BBC News

Declining consumption of coal in the US last year played a significant role in keeping down global emissions of carbon dioxide, according to a new report.
The Global Carbon Project annual analysis shows that CO2 emissions were almost flat for the third year in a row, despite a rise in economic growth.
The slowdown in the Chinese economy since 2012 has also been a key factor limiting carbon.
Experts believe it is too early to say if global CO2 emissions have peaked.
I suppose the alarmists have to hype up everything given the failure of most of their dire predictions to date.

roc_

Back in the 70's, James Lovelock foretold this, as a part of the warnings he heralded. He said, once a certain threshold is crossed, "feedbacks" start kicking in. E.g. a higher level of atmospheric CO2 causes the ocean to release stored CO2, which further raises atmospheric CO2 and again feeds back, and so on.

Wagmore

Cool the jets. More propaganda alert. Nearly collapsed listening to report of this on RTE news at one. Reporter stated that this was the highest level recorded for, I ************************ee you not, "thousands of years." WT and Fook off. Like the cavemen were logging carbon emissions. Who are these shaggin eco-zealots. And are they getting dumber as I get older

D

Deleted member 45466

Back in the 70's, James Lovelock foretold this, as a part of the warnings he heralded. He said, once a certain threshold is crossed, "feedbacks" start kicking in. E.g. a higher level of atmospheric CO2 causes the ocean to release stored CO2, which further raises atmospheric CO2 and again feeds back, and so on.
I think the CO2 ppm threshold was crossed this year?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/we-just-breached-the-410-ppm-threshold-for-co2/

Whatever the mechanisms are, the last time that happened was at the end of the Permian period?

We all know what happened next kids!

roc_

Cool the jets. More propaganda alert. Nearly collapsed listening to report of this on RTE news at one. Reporter stated that this was the highest level recorded for, I ************************ee you not, "thousands of years." WT and Fook off. Like the cavemen were logging carbon emissions. Who are these shaggin eco-zealots. And are they getting dumber as I get older
Rocks, geology, tell us fairly precisely levels of CO2 and corresponding temperature back through the millenia.

ger12

Volatire

Very positive news.

More CO[SUB]2[/SUB] => more plant growth => healthier ecosystems

Erudite Caveman

Very positive news.

More CO[SUB]2[/SUB] => more plant growth => healthier ecosystems
Course it's is as simple as that. Which is why Venus, with 96% of its atmosphere consisting of CO[SUB]2[/SUB], looks like this.

Thriving I tell ya, thriving.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies