'Recycling'

Dasayev

Interesting story from the Sunday Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/recycling-is-ending-up-in-the-dump-1062046.html

Apparently a lot of waste that is meant to be recycled is in fact going to landfill.

The Oxigen group has confirmed that almost all of its waste from its Robin Hood facility, and over 60 per cent of waste (35,000 tonnes) from its Dundalk facility, had been consigned to landfill in 2006.

In the same year, of the total waste content that the Thornton's waste management company sent to its facility on Killeen Road in Dundalk, 59 per cent ended up in a landfill, in comparison to the 41 per cent which has been recycled.

david

No surprises there.

Neither any surprises in the fact that we as a nation continue to produce vast mountains of unnecessary waste. One of the many imbecilic faces of the free market.

We have so much money we're perfectly happy to buy these ludicrous quantities of waste several times over.

clareman51

I agree. I can't close my recyclable rubbish bin with all the packaging after two weeks. My landfill bin I fill about every 3 weeks.

Rebel CNC

Landfill is disastrous for the environment. Much, much worse than modern incinerators.

L'Chaim

Well I am dreadful when it comes to recycling. I have a black bin and a green bin and I could sell the green bin as new. I have never used it. Everytime I go shopping i buy plastic bags to bring the stuff home in. I wouldn't know where the nearest bottle bank is. Everything gets thrown in the black bin and that gets collected every week. Where it ends up, I couldn't care less.

Whenever I hear about recycling I'm reminded of Churchill asking the British people to hand in all their steel amd metal which, he said, would be melted down and used to make guns, bullets, weapons etc. to fight the germans. Most of it was just scrapped and wasn't used for anything at all, but it made the people feel they were doing something for the good for their country. To me recycling is the same. Everybody seperates rubbish and trundles down to bottle banks and switches off lights and pulls out plugs and everyone feels like theyre doing something for the good of the planet. And in the meantime the ozone is still in sh*te. The power of one is a PR exercise in propaganda. And as for staying home in Ireland to reduce my carbon footprint? I don't think so!

Rebel CNC

I agree but guess we have to do our bit. Considering China is building one new coal burning power station every week, even a huge decrease in Ireland's emissions is but a microscopic blip in the greater scheme of things.

padraigmcl

Better that it go into landfill here rather than be shipped around the world for "recycling" in a landfill in india or china.

FakeViking

L'Chaim said:
Well I am dreadful when it comes to recycling. I have a black bin and a green bin and I could sell the green bin as new. I have never used it. Everytime I go shopping i buy plastic bags to bring the stuff home in. I wouldn't know where the nearest bottle bank is. Everything gets thrown in the black bin and that gets collected every week. Where it ends up, I couldn't care less.

Whenever I hear about recycling I'm reminded of Churchill asking the British people to hand in all their steel amd metal which, he said, would be melted down and used to make guns, bullets, weapons etc. to fight the germans. Most of it was just scrapped and wasn't used for anything at all, but it made the people feel they were doing something for the good for their country. To me recycling is the same. Everybody seperates rubbish and trundles down to bottle banks and switches off lights and pulls out plugs and everyone feels like theyre doing something for the good of the planet. And in the meantime the ozone is still in sh*te. The power of one is a PR exercise in propaganda. And as for staying home in Ireland to reduce my carbon footprint? I don't think so!
What a pathetic excuse you really are. Maybe you should just f c u k off to Israel where you claim to belong to, rather than waste our time, energy, and landfill. Or are you too afraid?

pluralist

You crossed the line there, FakeViking.

Post reported.

darkknight

Who needs Poolbeg Incinerator when we have Ballymount? :shock:

Great work by the Emergency Services. Glad nobody was hurt.

The lack of adequate water pressure to cope with such an eventuality is worrying.

G

Gráinne O'Malley

there was a hug fire in caark as well over the XMASS at one of these RC centres
A trend..
Sabotage by an anti-environmental group
Whats the ignition ?

southwestkerry

Its hard to know whats going on here but fires in recycling plants tend to be common over the years.

G

Gráinne O'Malley

Well theres is plenty of fuel?
But whats the ignition ?
Maybe these opertaions need more regulation and planning

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
The term, redneck lightning, comes to mind.

southwestkerry

The ignition could well be heat from machinery running all day long. Dump some cardboard next to a generator and a few hours later you will have a high temp fire.
Yes it would want to be one dim wit who dumps paper or cardboard in the wrong place but it does happen.

G

Gráinne O'Malley

I wonder are some consumers putting the wrong and weird things in their bins
Batteries, chemicals or something that can can go bang, boom of hiss if thrown into the process without being detected*

*dile misiformed speculation

southwestkerry

I wonder are some consumers putting the wrong and weird things in their bins
Batteries, chemicals or something that can can go bang, boom of hiss if thrown into the process without being detected*

*dile misiformed speculation
That is a very good point.

ManInTheArena

Many waste operators get paid by local government to collect recyclables from householders. These waste operators then have to pay to sort it, transport it, and get rid of the (I understand large) percentage of it that can't be recycled.

An accidental fire would, of course, remove this overhead.

FakeViking

Who needs Poolbeg Incinerator when we have Ballymount? :shock:

Great work by the Emergency Services. Glad nobody was hurt.

The lack of adequate water pressure to cope with such an eventuality is worrying.
There is an absolutely huge ambient food warehouse just up the road. If that's been smoke damaged we could see shortages next week!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies