• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Red C / SBP Poll, 28 April: Strong support for the Public Sector

ShoutingIsLeadership

It would seem that p.ie might be somewhat out of touch with the general public's view of the public sector.

50% of respondents were opposed to the government legislating for pay cuts; 30% were in favour.

The Irish Examiner article says that ' 56% say the government should accept the union decision and try and re-negotiate the Croke Park Agreement'.

Will this strengthen the resolve of union members, in light of the pressure applied by govt. today?

Poll says 30% want govt to cut public service pay, but half of electorate is opposed | Irish Examiner

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0427/386928-croke-park/

Prester Jim

It would seem that p.ie might be somewhat out of touch with the general public's view of the public sector.

50% of respondents were opposed to the government legislating for pay cuts; 30% were in favour.

Will this strengthen the resolve of union members?

Poll says 30% want govt to cut public service pay, but half of electorate is opposed | Irish Examiner
Out of touch?
Some of them have been in orbit around Arcturus since 2007.:roll:

Good for them to see that they really are fringe dwellers though; some of them think they have Dev's gift to look into the heart of the Irish people.

making waves

Where is patslatt - he'll have a heart attack.

The poll also said that 56% support the unions on CP2 (23% against) and 54% want an end to austerity (with 25% against)

james5001

I wonder if this'll be in the Sindo tomorrow?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
- 54% want an easing of austerity by less spending cuts, but 68% believe if the government had any spare cash it should be used to cut taxes.
Math is not a strong point for respondents it would appear.

Plebian

Ha, all the recent spinning about things not being so bad has led to unreal expectations. Spin yer way out of that one.

Prester Jim

wombat

Are you in favour of austerity - no, Should taxes be cut - yes. I don't see the contradiction.
Do you want next weeks lotto numbers - yes, do you want a good summer - yes.:lol:

Prester Jim

Explain the conflict you see?
I think anyone with a mature brain can hold a few views simultaneously surely?

Ren84

The RedC poll also showed that a majority want to see taxes cut and spending increased. Seriously, WTF is wrong with this country? Have the stupid people commonly referred to the citizenry not learned anything from the crash?

FFailure is licking its lips knowing all it has to do is act like complete gombeens, give the people what they're calling for (lower taxes, lots of goodies for the masses) and they'll be returned to power like nothing has happened. I'm seriously thinking of emigrating in such a scenario.

anewbeginning

Cutting public sector pay is never popular.

But the choice is clear.

Cut pay or borrow the 300 million annually and add it to the growing national debt with interest. The latter is not really a viable solution no matter how popular with the electorate.

Now is not the time for populism or individualism.

Ren84

Explain the conflict you see?
I think anyone with a mature brain can hold a few views simultaneously surely?
A majority wants to cut taxes. A majority of responders also want spending to increase. This while we still have one of the highest deficits in the EU. You figure it out.

anewbeginning

Where is patslatt - he'll have a heart attack.

The poll also said that 56% support the unions on CP2 (23% against) and 54% want an end to austerity (with 25% against)
There is no alternative to austerity. Austerity essentially means balancing the books and everyone living within the means this country can afford. It would be great if we could spend more and tax less. Meanwhile in the real world we have to balance the books.

Ren84

Cutting public sector pay is never popular.

But the choice is clear.

Cut pay or borrow the 300 million annually and add it to the growing national debt with interest. The latter is not really a viable solution no matter how popular with the electorate.

Now is not the time for populism or individualism.
It isn't, but it seems the electorate want a return to the old sleeveen, gombeen politics of FFailure, along with the return of low taxes and high government spending.

ShoutingIsLeadership

A majority wants to cut taxes. A majority of responders also want spending to
increase. This will we still have one of the highest deficits in the EU. You figure it out.
They want taxes cut IF the government has spare cash. Read the data before getting onto your high horse!

anewbeginning

The only thing polls like these tell me is that the Irish electorate are stupid...nothing new there...every poll in the last 10 years has pretty much told me the same thing.

Prester Jim

A majority wants to cut taxes. A majority of responders also want spending to increase. This will we still have one of the highest deficits in the EU. You figure it out.
They were asked both questions separately, like this:
Would you like more spending on essential services?
Would you like to pay less taxes?

I would say yes to both questions on their own despite understanding the conflict and I would be more nuanced in my answer if I was asked both questions in one question that encompassed both concepts.
Wouldn't you?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies