• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Redacted's INM henchmen linked to the Panama Papers

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Redacted's henchmen have deep links to Irish public life ...some of their affairs are now receiving greater scrutiny

INM chiefs linked to Panama Papers firm
The chairman of Independent News & Media, Leslie Buckley, and non-executive director Paul Connolly were both shareholders and directors of offshore companies associated with the Mossack Fonseca law firm, the leaked Panama Papers show.
Mr Buckley and Mr Connolly are both long-time associates of businessman Denis O’Brien, the largest shareholder in the Independent Media group. Mr [Aidan] Phelan was Mr O’Brien’s accountant and business partner in the late 1990s.
Mr Phelan and Ms Malone moved to the Isle of Man some years ago. Many of Mr O’Brien’s business interests in Ireland are owned by entities incorporated in the Isle of Man.
Accountant a link man between Lowry and O'Brien
May 26, 2001
Accountant Mr Aidan Phelan emerged this week as an apparent conduit between the former minister for transport, energy and communications, Mr Michael Lowry, and Esat founder Mr Denis O'Brien.
Described as a sophisticated financial expert by acquaintances, Mr Phelan has been a close associate of Mr O'Brien for many years.
May , 2012 : Taoiseach was told Denis O'Brien would be at NY Stock Exchange - Independent.ie

Kenny relied heavily on Flannery to keep his position as FG leader
Without the support of Shatter, Reilly and Hogan Bruton would have won the leadership challenge

Fionnuala Kenny was a Fianna Fáil press secretary and protégé of Haughey ...and PJ Mara

PJ Mara obituary: flamboyant character who was central to FF for three decades
Having hitched his star to Denis O’Brien, Mara was ultimately appointed to the board of Digicel, the mobile phone company with an international reach. Mara regularly travelled with O’Brien to the Caribbean and beyond on business trips.
Enda ? A drooling wally, nice that he had Fionnuala to look after him

[video=youtube;GHWJPAC1EN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWJPAC1EN8[/video]

cYp

Ardillaun

I see one of the accountants responsible for Mr. Buckley's COMPLETELY legal tax vehicles has the wonderful name of Charles Vanderpump.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Vanderpump was I notice a partner with Deloitte Isle of Man.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could become more interesting in early May when the Panama Papers I understand will have the names of some 214,000 individuals and companies dealing with offshore funds released.

mr_anderson

Could become more interesting in early May when the Panama Papers I understand will have the names of some 214,000 individuals and companies dealing with offshore funds released.

Some day I want to be rich enough to be on a list like that.

turdsl

Are those the same guys that tried to muzzle the Dail,thanks to Catherine Murphy they did not. RTE and the Irish Times ran scared, and the Taoiseach was not to be found that week.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Formations House does not just create companies in Britain, but also in Gambia, Hong Kong, the Seychelles, the British Virgin Islands, Ireland, the US state of Delaware, Panama, Gibraltar, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Belize and Mauritius. Its website boasts of having formed more than 450,000 corporate entities: that is more companies than there are in Jersey, Guernsey and the Cayman Islands put together.'

Offshore in central London: the curious case of 29 Harley Street | Oliver Bullough | Business | The Guardian

eoghanacht

I fully expect this to be ignored by the state broadcaster in favour of the charade of a Muppet show that is Dáil Eireann.

TARZAN

So some of the same big tax dodgers have supported both FF and FG. Why am I not surprised?

RasherHash

Some day I want to be rich enough to be on a list like that.
Keep working hard on your jobbridge course, doing those long hours and early starts with enthusiasm and you just never know :)

HereWeGoAgain

Wonder how much O'Brien and Buckley made from this transaction last year which was bought for 30 million dollars where upon news of announcement of sale, local reports state
some staff at the website business reacted angrily after being told their positions were being made redundant
No sale price was disclosed for ChinaHR, which cost Mr Buckley and Mr O’Brien about $30 million two years ago. The business had struggled under its previous owner, Monster, which paid about $254 million buying up the Chinese unit between 2005 and 2008.
In a Sunday Times interview with Mr Buckley in 2013, it was reported the two businessmen planned to invest up to €70 million in ChinaHR, although it is unclear if the full level of that investment had been made before the business was sold to 58.com.
At the time Mr Buckley said they could “easily bring this business to €100 million a year from its then €30 million annual revenues”.
Link
Businessmen Denis O

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I fully expect this to be ignored by the state broadcaster in favour of the charade of a Muppet show that is Dáil Eireann.
RTE really excelled itself this time around the leak of the Panama Papers. A co-ordinated release of the story by 70 media outlets and just under 500 journalists internationally in an unprecedented operation and it is worth noting that RTE weren't involved. To follow that up when ever other media outlet was covering the release RTE's first article on its website about the matter looked like a Mossack Fonseca press release bemoaning the whistleblowing. Bit of an insight into RTE there I'd say.

Aindriu

O'Brien is up to his neck in all this. They just haven't released the papers with his name on them yet.

Sister Mercedes

As of 2014, Digicel's markets comprise: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bonaire, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Dominica, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Montserrat, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Myanmar, Nauru, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, and Vanuatu.
Quite a few tax havens among that bunch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digicel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_haven

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The reason why some people are rich is because they have access to the offshore economy.

That and an unparalleled greed.

It would ne nice to think that the Revenue Commissioners would interest themselves in how exactly a figure well connected to Fine Gael managed to earn a quarter of a million which he had in a British Virgin Islands account in the 1990s.

And even more importantly had he paid tax on or declared the related earnings in the first place?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies