• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

RedC Paddy Power Poll 65% favour United Ireland

Just Jack

gleeful

Norway is giving Finland a gift of a mountain for Finland's 100 year anniversary of independence. Our's is coming up in 2022. We should drop some hints to England.

Dame_Enda

And yet they have odds of 7-1 on a UI being passed if the vote was held tomorrow.

Just Jack

twokidsmanybruises

rapparree

If a referendum were held tomorrow, 65% of the population in the twenty-six counties would vote in favour.

https://twitter.com/pppolitics/status/758976903470469120

That's almost two-thirds, I wonder who are those against the completion of our national independence.
you can be sure that figure would significantly rise in the event of a campaign period, no one would have the balls to campaign against in the RoI

Just Jack

Those who are worried about a tax hike to pay for it, a la German reunification.
Self-interested, greed mongers.

In other words, the people who visited financial ruin upon the twenty-six counties.

Dame_Enda

A UI is well down my list of priorities now. After Brexit a period of stability is needed. The world is already destabilised by ISIS and Chinas role in the South China Sea. And our security forces are depleted, tiny and utterly unprepared for the security challenges NI would bring to the Republic.

Erudite Caveman

That's almost two-thirds, I wonder who are those against the completion of our national independence.
So we're up to 35%. That's a pretty solid start. Personally, I don't see the attraction in trying to integrate a million foreigners, seeing the trouble Germany, with a population of 100m, seems to be having, and all for the sake of symbolism and nationalist fervour.

Just Jack

you can be sure that figure would significantly rise in the event of a campaign period, no one would have the balls to campaign against in the RoI
An interesting point.

We know unionism/loyalism and partitionism is disproportionately represented within the Establishment classes, particularly within the hard-right of the twenty-six county media, but would they have the courage to defend their convictions during a campaign?

Erudite Caveman

An interesting point.

We know unionism/loyalism and partitionism is disproportionately represented within the Establishment classes, particularly within the hard-right of the twenty-six county media, but would they have the courage to defend their convictions during a campaign?
The implicit threat to anyone who would campaign on that basis is noted.

Just Jack

So we're up to 35%. That's a pretty solid start. Personally, I don't see the attraction in trying to integrate a million foreigners, seeing the trouble Germany, with a population of 100m, seems to be having, and all for the sake of symbolism and nationalist fervour.

In a united Ireland I can't see there being much appetite for keeping the 35% rump of twenty-six county anti-nationals.

Perhaps we could have mandatory deportation? Everyone wins.

Erudite Caveman

In a united Ireland I can't see there being much appetite for keeping the 35% rump of twenty-six county anti-nationals.

Perhaps we could have mandatory deportation? Everyone wins.
Keep it up. No quicker way of turning that 35% into 80% than having the likes of you out front and center.

rapparree

The big question will be:
Who will pay for it?
brits will for the first while, they would agree as it offers the prospect of not having to pay at some point in the future versus continuing to pay forever

and the only study done on the economic effect of reunification suggests a 36bn boost to the economy within 8 years

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies