• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Redrawing of Westminster Constituencies throws up some surprises

Nordie Northsider

As you all know the projected Tory cull of Westminster Constituencies can go ahead now that those pesky Lib Dems are no longer around to veto it. The Boundary Commission have published their proposals and, as expected, the North stands to lose one Westminster seat. Boundary Commission: Belfast could lose a constituency - BBC News

So far, much as expected. More worrying for Unionists and the SDLP is how kindly some of the suggested changes fall for Sinn Féin. By some projections, including those of Nicholas Whyte (What will NI parliamentary boundary changes mean? - BBC News) the SF tally could go from 4 from 6. The SDLP seat in South Belfast will no longer exist, bringing their tally down to 2 seemingly safe bets. While the reorganised East Belfast won't contain enough Nationalists to win a seat it may just contain enough anti-DUP voters to allow Naomi Long retake the seat for Alliance. Gregory Campbell looks set to have more time to devote to political satire as the new Glenshane seat looks promising for SF. Nicholas Whyte isn't at all hopeful for the UUP's chances of retaining either of their seats: Fermanagh South Tyrone will lose Dungannon and take in much more Nationalist-leaning areas. Bye bye Farmer Tom.

By my reckoning it could see 6 SF seats + 2 for the SDLP, giving a total of 8 against 7 for the DUP, 1 for Lady Hermon and one for the 'agnostic' Alliance. Equal numbers of Nationalists and Unionists at Westminster?

Like I said, they're only proposals. I can't see the lovely Arlene wearing this one.

between the bridges

Imperialist plot to get the house trained shinners to take their seats in the mother of all Parliaments...

between the bridges

Morn Joey, which subject would ye like to beatch slapped on today...

Nordie Northsider

Imperialist plot to get the house trained shinners to take their seats in the mother of all Parliaments...
I've been listening to Unionists predicting that for many. many years. It won't happen because there's nothing in it for Sinn Féin. Have you anything grown-up to say about the subject of the thread?

between the bridges

I've been listening to Unionists predicting that for many. many years. It won't happen because there's nothing in it for Sinn Féin. Have you anything grown-up to say about the subject of the thread?
Moi does but if yer going to take that tone moi will huff...

between the bridges

The shinners will sit in Westminster because it's the only way Martyr can become Baron von Bogside...

CastleRay

Under those proposals East Belfast loses Dundonald to North Down and gains the east of Lagan part of South Belfast. That would likely mean it would be won again by a strong APNI candidate like Naomi Long. However, Dundonald is geographically and socially East Belfast. It recently got lumped in with Lisburn of all places in the most ridiculous council boundary redraw of all in NI. Dundonald is currently acting as some sort of Political football in a gerrymandering exercise.

Regarding Westminster, it really doesn't matter. All of our MPs have been and are in continuous opposition to the government. They are irrelevant to the Parliament and no good for the people who vote for them in that respect but they are very relevant to the parties because of the money it brings and the offices they fund.

Nordie Northsider

Regarding Westminster, it really doesn't matter. All of our MPs have been and are in continuous opposition to the government. They are irrelevant to the Parliament and no good for the people who vote for them in that respect but they are very relevant to the parties because of the money it brings and the offices they fund.
I agree. Having said that, the symbolism of Irish Unionism and Nationalist being at parity in any legislature isn't insignificant.

Se0samh

Morn Joey, which subject would ye like to beatch slapped on today...
Mornin' droichead........in which subject do you want proven woefully inadequate this time and which is bound to end, as ever, with you abandoning the field:rolleyes:. Go on pick a card, any card. Anyhoo, while you're thinkin':lol:, here's a little link for everyone else-https://www.boundarycommission.org.uk/

The Provisional Proposals(;)) can be viewed by clicking on the link-
https://www.boundarycommission.org.uk/2018-review

eoghanacht

hollandia

I've missed this. What are the legislative requirements for drawing up the new constituencies? Is it based on population size, to match local authority areas, or is it just to redraw the boundaries for the craic every couple of years?

between the bridges

My subject; unemployment, substance dependency and the alcoholism of nordie band members.
Moi is sure that some fit into all categories, moi is also sure that you would be disappointed by the number who fit any of the categories. However as someone who needs to demonise other's in order to deal with yer own inadequacies you are already a disappointment to anyone who has the misfortune to know ye...

Next...

between the bridges

I've missed this. What are the legislative requirements for drawing up the new constituencies? Is it based on population size, to match local authority areas, or is it just to redraw the boundaries for the craic every couple of years?
Nathing to do with ye mexician, jog on...

Se0samh

https://www.boundarycommission.org.uk/sites/boundarycommission.org.uk/files/media-files/BCNI 2018 Provisional Proposals Report.pdf

See Appendix B for the requirements you asked for, the Commission's interpretation will be the interesting part, they, on first glance, appear to have less leeway than heretofore. :D

Nordie Northsider

Symbolism is significant for who? Who is watching or listening?
This is happening in the context of a fall-off in the Nationalist vote in three elections. You need only look at Nationalist blogs and posts on sites like this to see a certain despondency among Nationalists and a corresponding cockiness among Unionists ('I won the election', as Arlene Foster gracefully observed after the last Assembly Elections). Since then, we have had Brexit. We have seen Dáil politicians stating publically that their preference is for an United Ireland (hardly radical, but hey, it's a long time since we've heard it). It seems to me that from a position of relative weakness Nationalism is in a position to re-assert itself. Equal numbers at Westminster will help, however great our lack of interest in what goes on there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies