• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Referendum on flags?

physicist

Referendum on flags?

Just putting it out there...as a suggesting a compromise to overcome the flag impasse ...

Parallel to Shadow Council elections
Confined to only the Belfast City Council region i.e. only open to Belfast City electorate
Result is implemented for duration of City Council term from the start of the new council set up.
PR-STV of multiple options including No flags, 365 days, Designated days, both flags, Tricolour, Civic Belfast Flag or simply a run off between designated days and 365 days.
Council is free to discuss policy of flags regardless.
A blanket ban on leaflets or election literature or other election material mentioning the flag or any other flag during election. With Fines on parties or independent candidates who breach this.
Referendum question must be in English, Irish and Ulster Scots, with options of other languages

Any thoughts?

SgtBilko

Referendum on flags?

Just putting it out there...as a suggesting a compromise to overcome the flag impasse ...

Confined to only the Belfast City Council region i.e. only open to Belfast City electorate
Result is implemented for duration of City Council term from the start of the new council set up.
PR-STV of multiple options including No flags, 365 days, Designated days, both flags, Tricolour, Civic Belfast Flag or simply a run off between designated days and 365 days.
A blanket ban on leaflets or election literature or other election material mentioning the flag or any other flag during election. With Fines on parties or independent candidates who breach this.
Referendum question must be in English, Irish and Ulster Scots, with options of other languages

Any thoughts?
Cart before the horse. Northern Ireland is still part of the Union.

The official flag of Northern Ireland is the Union Flag. If the people of Northern Ireland indicate that they wish to remain in the Union then they must also accept that the Union Flag will fly. Recent evidence suggests this to be the case.

Just out of interest, why do you suggest we restrict your proposal to Belfast only?

physicist

Cart before the horse. Northern Ireland is still part of the Union.

The official flag of Northern Ireland is the Union Flag. If the people of Northern Ireland indicate that they wish to remain in the Union then they must also accept that the Union Flag will fly. Recent evidence suggests this to be the case.

Just out of interest, why do you suggest we restrict your proposal to Belfast only?
Because Newry, Armagh, Lisburn and all the other councils can make flag decisions with the people there reacting peacefully, without nonsense about destroying heritage, culture or status. Similarly with many councils in Britain who choose no flags or designated days.

Last edited:

Levellers

Why would you need a referendum? There's already been a democratic vote in the council.

It's not like it is a important issue such as bin collections.

physicist

Why would you need a referendum? There's already been a democratic vote in the council.

Another injection of democracy might make a difference. Plus I do so on the proviso that the council parties return to real issues in their campaign.

between the bridges

My thoughts are it is a dumb idea, a waste of money and an excuse for more tension...

physicist

My thoughts are it is a dumb idea, a waste of money and an excuse for more tension...
They'll be run alongside Shadow Council Elections which would've went on anyway, if paying a few people to make a second count has any hope of making civic Belfast look at the true division of opinion here, and prevent 15 million pounds of damage happening again, I think it would be worth it.

SgtBilko

Because Newry, Armagh, Lisburn and all the other councils can make flag decisions with the people there reacting peacefully, without nonsense about destroying heritage, culture or status. Similarly with many councils in Britain who choose no flags or designated days.
Yes but you are advocating that the decision be taken out of council hands. If that is to be the case then the decision should be made Province-wide rather than restricted just to Belfast.

The City Hall in our capital is a significant building for all of us, not just residents of Belfast.

physicist

Yes but you are advocating that the decision be taken out of council hands. If that is to be the case then the decision should be made Province-wide rather than restricted just to Belfast.

Belfast City Hall is a very significant building for all of us, not just residents of Belfast.
Should we take it to Durban too? Anything outside the Belfast City Council area would seem like gerrymandering, if people outside of Belfast want to pay Belfast City rates and/or towards property damage as well as their own rates, I might consider it.

SgtBilko

Should we take it to Durban too? Anything outside the Belfast City Council area would seem like gerrymandering, if people outside of Belfast want to pay Belfast City rates and/or towards property damage as well as their own rates I might consider it.
Now you're being silly. We are talking about issues surrounding the flying of the official flag of Northern Ireland, in the capital of Northern Ireland. As an earlier poster pointed out.....we're not talking about changing the days the bins are colllected. Get real.

Dame_Enda

Let them get used to the flags situation. I say no. If the Unionists want to reverse the decision then they can vote out the Alliance.

rmn640

Thanks for your advice. You opinion will be considered in due course and we'll get back to you.....

**rolls eyes**
So you have to physically be in a place to have knowledge about it?

Do you have Neil DeGrasse Tyson's number? You should enlighten him

Last edited:

SgtBilko

So you have to physically be in a place to have knowledgeable about it?

Do you have Neil DeGrasse Tyson's number? You should enlighten him
When Neil DeGrasse Tyson's starts telling little green (or orange) men on Mars how to vote.....get back to me.

Maybe then you'd have a point.

belfast1981

Very much this, there are FAR, FAR more pressing issues in NI than a f*cking flag. Bin collection down here is horrible.3 collection days in a row now they have not been emptied. I would put Flags very low on the priority list of local councils.

Mickeymac

Referendum on flags?

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are with the only logical and sensible solution..............both flags or no flags 365.

physicist

Very much this, there are FAR, FAR more pressing issues in NI than a f*cking flag. Bin collection down here is horrible.3 collection days in a row now they have not been emptied. I would put Flags very low on the priority list of local councils.
If you need me to contact Colin Keenan, Bob Stoker, Carmel Hanna, Christopher Stalford or Máirtín Ó Muilleoir on the matter, I'd be happy to but that's probably as far as my connections go.

SgtBilko

My thoughts are with the only logical and sensible solution..............both flags or no flags 365.
Your finger is on the pulse there Mickey. According to very recent figures, approx one in ten people over here would agree with you and your 'sensible' solution.

physicist

Your finger is on the pulse there Mickey. According to very recent figures, approx one in ten people over here would agree with you and your 'sensible' solution.
Would here mean "Belfast" or Northern Ireland?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies