Referendum to be held, on whether Irish citizens living abroad should have vote in Presidential Elections

Should Irish citizens living abroad be eligible to vote in presidential elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShoutingIsLeadership

Referendum to be held, on whether Irish citizens living abroad should have vote in Presidential Elections

An Taoiseach has announced this.

I think that I disagree.

Will this mean President Adams?

Referendum to be held on voting rights for Irish abroad

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Referendum is to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections." </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Fullforward

Referendum is to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections.

Just spotted this story,more to follow:

Will this be the beginning of a new chapter in Irish Politics? Could people in the Six Counties eventually elect TD's this side of a Border Poll?

What are the implications of having Hundreds of Thousands of Irish people living abroad voting in a Presidential Election?

Are FF/FG using it as a testing ground to see if they will suffer a backlash from those forced to leave Ireland?

Referendum to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections - Independent.ie

Fullforward

Enda Kenny said...........

Speaking in Philadelphia, Mr Kenny said: "Today's announcement is a profound recognition of the importance that Ireland attaches to all of our citizens, wherever they may be.

"It is an opportunity for us to make our country stronger by allowing all of our citizens resident outside the State, including our emigrants, to vote in future presidential elections."

Fullforward

Can the Mods merge this or close my thread please?

Sister Mercedes

Kenny wins the prize for the most referendums on pointless topics that no one cares about.

How about referendums on freedom of speech, competition in services, derelict lands, anti corruption etc etc ...

gleeful

Its only for Presidential elections I believe.

To be honest - Id probably vote against this. There are too many Irish citizens abroad and their turnout would be totally unpredictable. Wed risk the vote for the presidency being dominated by nutty US gender politics.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I'm actually in favour of emigrants having a vote in general elections, for ten years or so after leaving.

Presidential Elections and referendums could be significantly impacted by people in NI having a vote, for example. I don't think that's right

petaljam

French people living abroad have a vote, I think they are all counted as being in a single "overseas" constituency. That way they get a say without overwhelming the election results - would that be a possible solution here?

Though I think NI would deserve its own constituency also, so that'd possibly be two here.

(Needless to say I'm for! :) )

GDPR

I'm actually in favour of emigrants having a vote in general elections, for ten years or so after leaving.

Presidential Elections and referendums could be significantly impacted by people in NI having a vote, for example. I don't think that's right
Why?

gleeful

The French solution - to have constituencies for external regions - is the way to go.

Sister Mercedes

French people living abroad have a vote, I think they are all in a single constituency. That way they get a say without overwhelming the election results - would that be a possible solution here?

(Needless to say I'm for! :) )
Ireland has a disproportionately high number of citizens living abroad especially since we are so liberal handing out passports. Many of them couldn't find Ireland on an Atlas.

ger12

I'd rather it were extended only to the six counties.

But I'm very open to having my mind changed. :)

D

Deleted member 48908

Irish citizens living abroad, who have paid, or continue to pay personal income tax in Ireland, should be given a vote. Not just in presidential elections, but in all major elections. It's the 21st century, overseas ballots aren't that difficult to administer.

Edit: I would exclude Irish citizens who have dual citizenship.

ger12

An Taoiseach has announced this.

I think that I disagree.

Will this mean President Adams?

Referendum to be held on voting rights for Irish abroad

He'd be more than able, his international standing would enhance his position.

But sure it's a lovely distraction this Referendum, jaysas, and we thought Bertie was the most devious and cunning of them all.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Referendum is to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections." </Mod>

petaljam

Ireland has a disproportionately high number of citizens living abroad especially since we are so liberal handing out passports. Many of them couldn't find Ireland on an Atlas.
That's a different problem, and should be sorted out in its own right.
It certainly isn't a good reason for disenfranchising people who are interested in Ireland and its people's well being.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Irish citizens living abroad, who have paid, or continue to pay personal income tax in Ireland, should be given a vote. Not just in presidential elections, but in all major elections. It's the 21st century, overseas ballots aren't that difficult to administer.

Edit: I would exclude Irish citizens who have dual citizenship.

I don't like the association with tax. What of people forced to emigrate to earn a crust?

petaljam

Seems to me that in a Presidential election, that wouldn't work unless the foreign vote had a lesser weighting
Well what I was suggesting was a single "overseas" constituency, irrespective of numbers. That would be a sort of weighting I suppose.

And - I think - a second - "NI" - constituency because recognizing the people of NI is not quite the same thing as giving a vote to emigrants.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies