• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Referendums 'turn people inward'

Armchair Activist

A bizare comment from senior US offical,

Ahead of a landmark speech by David Cameron on the UK's relationship with Brussels, the US assistant secretary for European affairs made clear Washington favoured a "strong British voice" within the EU.

Philip Gordon also warned that referendums could turn countries "inward".

"We have a growing relationship with the EU as an institution, which has an increasing voice in the world, and we want to see a strong British voice in that EU," he told reporters during a visit to London.

"That is in America's interests. We welcome an outward-looking EU with Britain in it."

The Prime Minister is due to make a speech this month in which he will set out his plans to renegotiate Britain's relationship with the EU - including clawing back many powers - and put that settlement to voters.

Some in his party advocate British withdrawal, a scenario which Conservative Mayor of London Boris Johnson has said would not be "the end of the world". Mr Johnson is also among those who have called for a referendum on the EU, something Mr Cameron is expected to promise for after 2015 in his forthcoming speech.

Mr Gordon said "referendums have often turned countries inward" and raised concerns about the internal debate in the EU about its structures in the aftermath of the eurozone debt crisis.
Are they afraid of people deciding things for themselves? Notice the language, "in Americas interest" for basically Britain to remain apart of the EU and further expose itself to the rot.

This is just more evidence of the role and power big foreign governments have over 'lesser governments'.

The state of sovereign and independent nations is been dissolved into much larger centralised planning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vega1447

I hate the way Leitrim Co Co try to dominate us Drumshambo folk.

Of course Drumshambo Town Council has a sacred duty to manage the (I do mean the) traffic light and reject the attempts by the Chamber of Commerce to ...

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...

james5001

History has shown us that the US administration hates economic nationalism.

Vega1447

Is that the us that is us or the us that is US?

james5001

Of course Drumshambo Town Council has a sacred duty to manage the (I do mean the) traffic light and reject the attempts by the Chamber of Commerce to ...

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...
What are you talking about? Also, Drumshanbo has 1 set of traffic lights. 1 traffic light would be a little dangerous.

Astral Peaks

What are "Referendndums"?

Any relation to "Referenda"?

FrankSpeaks

You take my point.

Big fleas etc...
Ah Fukk it Toman13 give it a rest!

hiding behind a poster

What are you talking about? Also, Drumshanbo has 1 set of traffic lights. 1 traffic light would be a little dangerous.
A lone traffic light would be kinda cool, though.

stopdoingstuff

History has shown us that the US administration hates economic nationalism.
Well, other countries' economic nationalism. But really, there you have it- once again the powers- that-be are doing their level best to weigh in against any meaningful input from the general public on their own future. At least in the good old days, one had to actually vote the wrong way before one lost the vote.

Last edited:

Spanner Island

Are they afraid of people deciding things for themselves? Notice the language, "in Americas interest" for basically Britain to remain apart of the EU and further expose itself to the rot.

This is just more evidence of the role and power big foreign governments have over 'lesser governments'.

The state of sovereign and independent nations is been dissolved into much larger centralised planning.
Most nations act in their own interests pretty much all of the time...

It's kind of normal although it may seem a bit strange to us Irish given the craven capitulation and failure of successive governments to act in the national interest while they excel at acting in their own interests and in the interests of their cronies...

As for American concerns... they like Britain being in the EU. Simple as... and the 'special relationship' will undoubtedly cool a bit if Britain leaves the EU...

Plus they've probably seen the way our referendums are run and how the hysterical extremes monopolise things with their lies, bullsh!t and scare tactics... and so they may suspect Britain will make a similar balls of any EU referendum they may or may not have...

Analyzer

Cameron, the buffoon. Essentially saying that more democracy is a problem.

Why not abolish elections altogether ?

From the Lucinda Creighton approach to consulting the population on matters relating to the nEU imperialism.

james5001

Also, where about is it located? I have forgotten.

james5001

When you say nation do you mean for the general population of the nation or the elites?

Armchair Activist

PlanetBertie

Also, where about is it located? I have forgotten.
Drumshanbo (Irish: Droim Sean Bhoth: Ridge of the Old Huts) is a small town situated in the heart of County Leitrim, Ireland. The town takes its name from the Irish, Druim-Sean-Bhoth or "Ridge of the old huts". Drumshanbo is surrounded by a scenic area of soft rolling hills, woodlands, lakes and the Sliabh an Iarainn and Arigna mountains. It is a beautifully preserved traditional town with traditional pubs, shops and restaurants.

james5001

Drumshanbo (Irish: Droim Sean Bhoth: Ridge of the Old Huts) is a small town situated in the heart of County Leitrim, Ireland. The town takes its name from the Irish, Druim-Sean-Bhoth or "Ridge of the old huts". Drumshanbo is surrounded by a scenic area of soft rolling hills, woodlands, lakes and the Sliabh an Iarainn and Arigna mountains. It is a beautifully preserved traditional town with traditional pubs, shops and restaurants.
I mean the traffic lights, not the town of drumshanbo!

Armchair Activist

It's kind of normal although it may seem a bit strange to us Irish given the craven capitulation and failure of successive governments to act in the national interest while they excel at acting in their own interests and in the interests of their cronies...

As for American concerns... they like Britain being in the EU. Simple as... and the 'special relationship' will undoubtedly cool a bit if Britain leaves the EU...

Plus they've probably seen the way our referendums are run and how the hysterical extremes monopolise things with their lies, bullsh!t and scare tactics... and so they may suspect Britain will make a similar balls of any EU referendum they may or may not have...
It was suggested that the EU is needed to succeed in order to serve as a model for other regional 'communities' such as the North American Union

Harmonica

Nothing to see here. He is the US assistant secretary for European affairs - his job is to look after US interests.

Armchair Activist

Nothing to see here. He is the US assistant secretary for European affairs - his job is to look after US interests.
Is that the US citizen interests or lets go for a walk.. wall street interests?

Nothing new if it was.