Refused Non-Alcoholic Beer

mr_anderson

I understand the law states that an off-licence cannot sell alcohol after 10pm, but tonight I was unable to purchase NON-ALCOHOLIC beer from a supermarket.

The time was approximately 10:15pm.

Anyone know what the law states with regards to such beverages ?

HMprison

Private businesses can decide if they wish to sell you something or not. The till was probably all closed up for the night.

gijoe

I think it is that the premises has to be closed by 10pm. But you do wonder where supermarkets fit in that where the premises itself could be open 24 hours. Is their a blind eye being turned?

jc_ie

They can pretty much decide what to sell you when they like outside of legal restraints.

Non alcoholic beer still has a slight alcohol level in it. Its very slight but it still might count as legally.

On a practical level i imagine their tills lock out alcohol sales and they have to close their off licences. Both the Alcohol group of products and the off licence would containt their non alcoholic stuff.

centauro

I understand the law states that an off-licence cannot sell alcohol after 10pm, but tonight I was unable to purchase NON-ALCOHOLIC beer from a supermarket.

Why would you want to buy non alcoholic beer?

merle haggard

Because it's too late to buy the alcoholic version ! :p
but the alcohols the only good thing in it , tea and coffee actually tastes nicer. It was probably done for your own good . Your request obviously disturbed the cashier .
Having said that a freind of mine on holiday in mayo during the foot and mouth crisis had a jar of peanut butter confiscated from his car on the grounds it said BUTTER on the jar and was therefore a dairy product as far as the big fat, thick , red faced, bullock jowled ,jubilant , nordie hating garda was concerned .

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

A) Stupid staff
B) Non alcoholic beer is of course alcoholic, with up to 0.5% being permissible for trade description purposes

cYp

DCon

Is that you Taoiseach?

:p

davehiggz

This law is really stupid. If people want to buy drink at this hour, they should be free to do so! The government shouldn't act like mothers to the adults of this country. Most people now buy their alcohol during the day, which can be an inconvenience in itself, and it's even worse for the OP who is denied a free-market of beer when he's only 15 minutes after the time.

We need to remove silly laws like these and give people their freedom back.

EUrJokingMeRight

Cyb is correct. There is alcohol in 'non alcoholic' drinks, therefore it is illegal to sell these alcoholic beverages after a certain time!
would be interesting to see what would happen if someone got breath-tested by a garda and tested 'over the limit' after spending an evening drinking non alcoholic beer. I know my missus gets merry after a couple. Cheap date I know ;) but they should be clearly labelled as alcoholic drinks if they contain alcohol.

politicaldonations

Should be stocked on regular shelves as a soft drink.
Traditional British lemonade drink sparks row in U.S. over trace alcohol content

You can buy a product at any time that contains vannila essence preserved in 35% ethanol! The bottle contains the equivalent of two beers and can be bought in many tescos including those open through night. A friend bought it one night and drank it with coke, said it did the job.

Being a big drinker of non-alcoholic beer I've come across this a few times (usually in tesco) and from what I understand in tesco's case anyway, the till registers goods as offie regardless of whether they have alcohol in it. Once an item comes from the offie section then... :confused::eek::-(

So you could reason with the fella be=hind the till but he's just going to have to explain to his superior later on so...

Baron von Biffo

Non alcoholic beer still has a slight alcohol level in it. Its very slight but it still might count as legally.
That might be the reason. They're very low alcohol rather than no alcohol. Imagine the frenzy from the publicans and Off Licence reps if they saw a supermarket selling a product like that outside hours?

florin

They can pretty much decide what to sell you when they like outside of legal restraints.

No, it wouldn't. Soft drinks and fruit juices often have a tiny level of alcohol too, but less than 0.5% counts as non-alcoholic.

florin

Should be stocked on regular shelves as a soft drink.
Traditional British lemonade drink sparks row in U.S. over trace alcohol content

You can buy a product at any time that contains vannila essence preserved in 35% ethanol! The bottle contains the equivalent of two beers and can be bought in many tescos including those open through night. A friend bought it one night and drank it with coke, said it did the job.
angostura (used in cocktails) is about 45% but is sold as non-alcoholic.

Sierra

I always thought that non-alcholic beer did in fact contain alcohol, albeit in very small quantities (0.04% and the likes, so long as it is under 0.05%).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies