• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Registrar admits e-vote machine storage

mmrebel

Josephine Duffy, the former Monaghan county registrar who is involved in a controversial e-voting machine storage deal, has admitted she “coerced” her nephew into building a shed which won a €542,000 contract.

Despite being in charge of finding storage for the voting machines, Duffy had claimed she was not personally involved in the process that led to Martin Duffy, her nephew, being chosen in 2004 to store 288 units at an annual cost of €21,685 for 25 years.

But in an interview recorded earlier this year, Duffy suggests she asked for the warehouse to be built.

The admission raises fresh questions about the validity and independence of any tender process undertaken in 2004 to find storage space in Monaghan.

According to the registrar, five other companies tendered for the contract but were refused because their facilities were inadequate.

She has said her nephew’s building, which is the subject of a planning investigation, was the most suitable and that the contract was reached between her solicitors and her nephew’s legal representatives, implying she was not involved.

But in an interview for a radio programme that has not been aired, Duffy shows the shed in Scotshouse to a reporter and is asked: “What was this building used for?”

She replied: “It wasn’t. I coerced him into building it for me. He’s not very happy with me.” Her nephew has been identified publicly as the owner of the contract.

Duffy, who has recently retired as county registrar in Monaghan, refused to explain the comment last week, on the grounds that her solicitor has told her not to speak about the e-voting contract.
Read the full article
Registrar admits e-vote machine storage - Times Online

jmcc

Guess it is time for an impartial investigation into the whole E-voting fiasco.

Regards...jmcc

The Cat

I think e voting would be good for the country. If Frank Fahey can't manage to do a Tá/Níl vote properly what would the less experienced grass roots FFer do? A sizable chunk of their 17% could go elsewhere.....

Last edited:

sandar

shocking but sadly not surpsising

thebig C

Stuff like this is unfortunately going on at every level. Mostly, its the result of people being dropped into jobs without merit. Even if the government changes, nothing will really change, unless there is a large cull of certain people accross the public service and there replacement by people qualified and able to actually perform!

The Cat

Stuff like this is unfortunately going on at every level. Mostly, its the result of people being dropped into jobs without merit. Even if the government changes, nothing will really change, unless there is a large cull of certain people accross the public service and there replacement by people qualified and able to actually perform!
Corruption, nepotism, strokes...it is embedded in the civil war culture. But certainly it is not near as bad in FG as it is in FF.

MsAnneThrope

*bump*

Guess it is time for an impartial investigation into the whole E-voting fiasco.

Regards...jmcc
With a new Government on the way this whole fiasco should definitely be investigated. I'd love to see Fergus O'Dowd get his teeth stuck into this one.

Here's hoping the new Government won't forget to vigorously investigate any waste of taxpayers' money over the past decade and take appropriate action where necessary.

hammer

With you on that one.

There are plenty of people who would volunteer their time for FREE to investigate such perceived wrong doing.

this reminds me - wasn't Gormley supposed to have all this sorted by now? I do remember some grandstanding on this topic going back a bit...

seosamh1979

Website
www.vica.ie
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izddjAp_N4I]YouTube - David Bismark: E-voting without fraud[/ame]

crubeen

From 12th July(orange day) - 10th Jan.????
Does this mean the e-machines are to be used? The cost of the e-machines is a much bigger story and maybe the new government will act on it.

MsAnneThrope

Does this mean the e-machines are to be used? The cost of the e-machines is a much bigger story and maybe the new government will act on it.
The machines are only good for scrap now and will never be used for their original purpose (€55m voting machines now worth only €1m). Any inquiry into the original purchase would only be met with a wall of acting 'on best advice' and 'in good faith'.

But there are definitely questions to be answered on the storage aspect, and not just in Monaghan.

The other side to this, which is rarely talked about, is that the State could be open to legal action from any unsuccessful or excluded bidders, were it to be found that contracts were awarded unfairly or without proper procedures being followed. e.g. Prison service contracts - one firm, no tender

This nonsense has been rampant in Ireland, especially in the past decade, and needs to be snuffed out. With a new Government on the way we can only hope they'll give these practices the attention they deserve, once and for all. It is not 'the way things are done' in any modern, supposed democracy.

Last edited:

Orbit v2

Very sensible approach, also seems as though the technology would not need to be very complicated to implement, a standard scanner, PC and a secure software system would suffice. Very good.
I've done a bit of research in this area myself. It's a fascinating subject for those with an interest in Maths or cryptography, which unfortunately points to the weakness of these systems - ie. that not many people are really interested in Maths and cryptography and if you want to really understand the system, then you have to do quite a bit of work. Of course not everyone needs to understand how it works, but some people do. Also, there are some very subtle things that can go wrong if you are not careful how it is designed.

I think it's much more likely that paper voting will persist for some time to come and electronic counting (using scanners, and software to do the count) will be brought in first.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies