• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Reglious Right attempting to stop Civil Partnership Bill here!!

USER1234

Petition on same-sex unions

THE CATHOLIC League and Priests For Life Ireland groups have launched a petition opposing the Civil Partnership Bill.

Launched in the last issue of the Catholic Voice newspaper (Catholic Voice - Website coming soon) it already has more than 2,000 signatures. The group said it would present them to Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern.

The Catholic League has already sent a letter to every TD and Senator expressing reservations about the Bill.

Anthony Murphy, founder of the Catholic League and publisher of the Catholic Voice , said in a statement: “It is clear that many people are puzzled and upset at the proposed legislation which can only undermine the institution of marriage by creating a kind of pseudo-marriage for same sex couples. This is deeply immoral and a crime against the natural law. It is the duty of every Catholic to oppose it”.
Sylvester Mann, founder of Priests for Life Ireland, is writing to every Catholic priest in Ireland asking for their support in opposing the Bill. His letter will also contain a copy of the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith’s document concerning legal recognition of same-sex unions.

Fr Sylvester said: “The concluding words of the Code of Canon Law remind us that the ‘care of souls is the supreme law of the Church’. To that end priests must preach the Gospel without compromise and lead others, including politicians, to live in the holiness of the Truth and to promote a Culture of Life. We must not be afraid to STOP (his emphasis) an immoral Bill from being bullied into law!”
(See her for full story: Irish Times, March 6th - Petition on same-sex unions

My Comments:
1) The religious should mind there own business, when it comes to civil law

2) This claim that civil unions will undermine the institution of marriage can somebody please explain this as i don't know how a same sex couple having a civil union which will be recognised by the state will affect the institution of marriage

3) Again this is Civil Partnership, a 2nd class form of marriage, it doesn't even go as far as civil marriage as you don't get all the right of civil marriage!!!

4) As for "an immoral Bill" they have a cheek calling anything immoral after the way the church has behaved over the last number of years,

5) As for "bullied into law" How, just like any other groups gay people, and groups can lobby their government, the government agreed to these laws and are bringing them in, it is also a civil rights issue so how is it being bullied in???

Much as the religious right may dislike it gay people have right too!!!

Last edited:

liamfoley

(See her for full story: Irish Times, March 6th - Petition on same-sex unions

My Comment:
1) The religious should mind there own business, when it comes to civil law

2) This claim that civil unions will undermine the institution of marriage can somebody please explain this as i don't know how a same sex couple having a civil union which will be recognised by the state will affect the institution of marriage

3) Again this is Civil Partnership, a 2nd class form of marriage, it doesn't even go as far as civil marriage as you don't get all the right of civil marriage!!!

4) As for "an immoral Bill" they have a cheek calling anything immoral after the way the church has behaved over the last number of years,

5) As for "bullied into law" How, just like any other groups gay people, and groups can lobby their government, the government agreed to these laws and are bring them in,it is also a civil rights issue so how is it being bullied in???

Much as the religious right may dislike it gay people have right too!!!
So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant, says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).

USER1234

So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant,
I have no problem with people who disagree with me but i have no time for people who are actively trying to squash another groups civil rights!!!

says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).
If you took the time to read what i posted you know the religious right i mentioned was The Catholic League (not the Americans group) and Priests For Life Ireland

Last edited:

evercloserunion

So you would silence all people who disagree with you, how tolerant, says more about you than the 'religious right' (whoever they are).
I don't see the OP attempting to silence the church. He is simply disagreeing with them.

USER1234

I don't see the OP attempting to silence the church. He is simply disagreeing with them.
Thanks

Plus i think a majority of Irish people think it good that the Civil Partnership Bill becoming law and that the current bill does not go far enough!!!

johnfás

For some contrast:-

Statement from the Evangelical Alliance of Ireland...

We suggest that evangelical Christians should support the basic thrust of the Bill. The Government is seeking to legislate for greater justice and fairness for co-habiting couples, both same-sex and opposite-sex couples. As Christians we should support that stance. Co-habiting couples are a reality - this legislation seeks to deal with that reality from a legal perspective.
The Christians Scriptures make it clear that God's purpose for his gift of sex is that it would be the ultimate physical expression of love between a man and a woman in the context of the covenant of marriage. However, the Gospel requires of us that we show grace to those who fundamentally disagree with our convictions and who do not shape their lives according to what we believe is good for them. Jesus requires of his followers that they love and do good to those who oppose them or who hold to different ethical standards than they do.
Evangelical Christians have no automatic right to have their views preferred to those of others. Nor do we have a duty to try and impose Biblical morality on public life by force of law.
It is possible to both articulate and live Christian values in a way that contributes to the debate on the lost point of moral reference in public life. In doing this we can and should support the notion of a public square in which all voices are free to present their case and argue for it in public life, including religious voices.

USER1234

Thanks johnfás!!!

Its nice to see that there are religious groups out there who know as they put it "have no automatic right to have their views preferred to those of others. Nor do we have a duty to try and impose Biblical morality on public life by force of law."

And have common sense when it comes to the roles of religion in public life

liamfoley

The Church? This is not the Church they seem to have a problem with but the so called "Catholic right." And you need to read what the OP is actually saying because that is exactly how I read it.

Dr Pat

Well, he clearly stated that the "religious right" (as Liam Foley states, "whoever they are" ) they should "mind their own business" which clearly implies that they do not have a right to be heard on this subject. That is anti-democratic and authoritarian.

Further, I do not see why you are trying to drag the Catholic Church as a whole into this. His op was referring to a group called the Catholic League.

jackryan

More in his line to be writing to the vatican about their latest gay scandal! What a w**ker

corelli

I, of course, agree that the Catholic Church, as one pressure group amongst many, should be allowed have their voice heard. That is a given.

However, are you suggesting that there is NOT in Ireland any such thing as an organised, or unorganised, right wing of the Catholic Church?. Or is it merely the definition of "right wing" that you have an issue with?

liamfoley

I, of course, agree that the Catholic Church, as one pressure group amongst many, should be allowed have their voice heard. That is a given.

However, are you suggesting that there is NOT in Ireland any such thing as an organised right wing of the Catholic Church?
The Catholic church is many things but organized is not one of them. When I read or hear of people talking like that I am reminded of Hillary going on about the 'vast right wing conspiracy' anytime something went wrong. I am absolutely certain that there are right wing Catholics out there, but to be honest it is the left leaning CORI (and Fr. Seán whats-his-name telling the government they cant cut the dole and then indemnifying criminals within his own ranks) that worries me m ore.

Last edited:

corelli

The Catholic church is many things but organized is not one of them. When I read or hear of people talking like that I am reminded of Hillary going on about the 'vast right wing conspiracy' anytime something went wrong.
Well, I would agree with that. Lots of little "continuity" catholic church organisations, all right. :)

cricket

Cóir, Youth Defence and many groupings with the words " family " and defence " in them spring to mind when people talk about right wing Catholic organisations. I know a few and they are scary people who seem to think they should regulate what consenting adults get up to in their bedrooms.
There was mention of a right wing Catholic organisation in that sickening incest case that concluded last week. AFAIK, they were never identified. I think it would be in the public interest to name and shame. Are they the same group of nuts referred to here ?

former wesleyan

"Ah the ‘bould Mina. I remember her well. She appeared a number of times on the Late Late Show in the 1980s as a very vocal representative of the anti-divorce, anti-abortion,anti-everything lobby. Constant letter writer to the Irish Times with views that would made Hitler blush. Tridentine Catholic into the bargain and rather unkempt – always looked like she needed a good wash. She got her come uppance for her holier than thou-ness when her son was up on charges of illegal gun ownership (the family were rabid Republicans into the bargain – pro-life unless you were a British soldier or RUC officer) and one of her daughters got pregnant of wedlock (at least she didn’t use unholy protection!). Much mirth all round at Mina’s fall from grace at the time. She obviously learned to keep off the airwaves and out of the papers, but she has been shockingly up to mischief still it seems. How sad."
From Twenty Majors Blog.

liamfoley

Cóir, Youth Defence and many groupings with the words " family " and defence " in them spring to mind when people talk about right wing Catholic organisations. I know a few and they are scary people who seem to think they should regulate what consenting adults get up to in their bedrooms.
There was mention of a right wing Catholic organisation in that sickening incest case that concluded last week. AFAIK, they were never identified. I think it would be in the public interest to name and shame. Are they the same group of nuts referred to here ?
You cannot call an organization Catholic just because it has Catholic members, if that was the case then every political party in the country would be Catholic. If you really want to use the term you have to define clearly and accurately what you mean.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies