• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Regulated by the Financial Regulator - The Irony!

MadAsHell

Ironic that all adverts and marketing by any of the banks, insurance companies etc., have to contain a "sign-off" statement making it clear that - blah, blah blah is Regulated by the Financial Regulator.

Unusual, in that it's anathema, normally, to put any negatives on marketing materials ;)

MadAsHell

It is, but to use the Alanais song - Isn't it Ironic?:)

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It is, but to use the Alanais song - Isn't it Ironic?:)
Well I suppose you could make a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland that the ad is misleading because it says they're regulated by the Financial Regulator, if you're arguing that they're not.

Tho making a complaint like that may be more for the purposes of mischief than anything else!

slx

To me it seems that the Financial Regulator was very good at focusing on minutia like ensure that bank ads had tag lines like "Regulated by the Financial Regulator. The value of shares may fall as well as rise. Past performance is no indication of future performance....."

This gave the impression that they were doing something i.e. making sure all the T's were crossed and all the I's were dotted. Meanwhile, they were letting the banks away with all sorts of insane behaviour in the areas that are actually very important that need to be regulated !!

I think these tags were entirely about optics.

I mean, who would you expect was regulating the banks ? The Food Safety Authority, or maybe the National Framework Committee for Work/Life Balance Enterprise :D

It's hardly necessary to cut into expensive advertising time with a statement of what is quite obvious to most people anyway!

charley

why are they still advertising anyway ,i don't see the point of them spending huge sums on advertising when they are begging off the state.before the bank gaurantee is renewed they should all have to cut down to 30% of their current size and present their accounts to anyone who asks,let them be regulated by everyone

ManfredJudge

Regulated by the Financial Regulator (Whispers In theory though maybe not in practise)

Hillmanhunter1

Regulated by the Financial Regulator (Whispers In theory though maybe not in practise)
We were told that the Financial Regulator was a principles-based regulator, however this approach may have been mis-interpreted as regulated in principle (but not in practice).

MadAsHell

The irony continues, the adverts for Quinn now include the line about the Administrators. Presumably from a marketing perspective destroying their ability to generate new business.

hammer

I see RTE had an item on the Quinn bailout levy €1.6 billion, maybe more.

Central Bank (w)ankers were in before some committee.

Reason they didn`t regulate insurance industry properly

"Under resourced" ................the excuses have been organised.

What a shower of thick ************************s.