Reiki is dangerous and superstitious - says Catholic Church

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
In a document released March 25, the Committee on Doctrine of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops blasted Reiki, a practice developed in Japan in the late nineteenth century that has gained acceptance in some Catholic retreat centers and other institutions.

After distinguishing between natural medicine and supernatural healing effected by Christ, the bishops conclude:

Reiki therapy finds no support either in the findings of natural science or in Christian belief. For a Catholic to believe in Reiki therapy presents insoluble problems. In terms of caring for one's physical health or the physical health of others, to employ a technique that has no scientific support (or even plausibility) is generally not prudent.
Without justification either from Christian faith or natural science, however, a Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction.

The bishops add,
“Some forms of Reiki teach of a need to appeal for the assistance of angelic beings or ‘Reiki spirit guides.’ This introduces the further danger of exposure to malevolent forces or powers.”
Source & Links

DaBrow

Yoga and Taizé are more suitable

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Wasn't the Founder of Taizé a Protestant Calvinist pastor?

corelli

Obviously getting on your knees and knocking a few sparks of your rosary beads is more effective, from a Catholic viewpoint!

Seriously though, reading between the, very convoluted, lines, it would appear that they are trying to discourage people using it as an alternative medicine rather than traditional scientifically based ones.

Factorem

Seems to be a lot of directed Catholic-knocking going on here lately.

I myself would be wary even of yoga, let alone "reiki".

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
The Vatican cautioned Roman Catholics that Eastern meditation practices such as Zen and Yoga can “degenerate into a cult of the body” that debases Christian prayer. “ The love of God, the sole object of Christian contemplation, is a reality which cannot be “mastered” by any method or technique”, said a document issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. [at that time under Cardinal Ratzinger now Pope BVI. No Christians, should not do Yoga because Yoga is part of a Religious system that is not compatible with Judeo-Christianity and mixing the two is Syncretism and the Catholic Church warns against that. !!!

Source

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Factorem wrote:
You're joking of course!

Factorem

The Vatican cautioned Roman Catholics that Eastern meditation practices such as Zen and Yoga can “degenerate into a cult of the body” that debases Christian prayer. “ The love of God, the sole object of Christian contemplation, is a reality which cannot be “mastered” by any method or technique”, said a document issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. [at that time under Cardinal Ratzinger now Pope BVI. No Christians, should not do Yoga because Yoga is part of a Religious system that is not compatible with Judeo-Christianity and mixing the two is Syncretism and the Catholic Church warns against that. !!!

Source
Shock horror! :eek:

soubresauts

... the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science.
But it's okay for women, is it?

Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction.
Is that a fact? Begob, it's great to be informed about these things. I'd hate to think of the ignorance I'd be wallowing in if you hadn't told me.

Now I must repeat that quietly to myself, in case I forget it, like.

"Superstition corrupts one's worship of God..."

Bobert

Silly, silly church...

Factorem

Best way to get 100 replies to your thread: ensure the words "Catholic" and "Church" appear in the thread title.

I don't know what all those outside the Church get so worked up about. It's not as if I get my knickers in a twist when the Dalai Lama speaks out against something I happen to disagree with.

There appears to be a lingering guilt complex associated with the "new Ireland" and its secular ideals inherent in the Irish mindset. And yes, the baby was thrown out with the bath water. In no other country does the Catholic Church stir so much interest amongst so-called secularists/atheists.

corelli

Best way to get 100 replies to your thread: ensure the words "Catholic" and "Church" appear in the thread title.
Not really, just ensure that they publish something that can be interpreted in a number of ways. The condom issue is one such ambiguity.

This recent one can be taken a number of ways though, I read it as saying that notwithstanding the whole "holy god" bit, you should not use it as a substitute for scientifically tested treatment.

Oppenheimer

The Danes also debunked that acupuncture stuff a while ago didn't they? guess we'll have to find something else to stick our pins into.

CookieMonster

I myself would be wary even of yoga, let alone "reiki".
Sure that's always been the case. I don't know what reiki is but yoga is harmless (if you do it right, if you do it wrong it can be... well, sore).

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
sobresauts writes:
... Begob ...
Oh gosh, a stage-Irish guy from a 1950s movie!

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Factorem wrote:
It's not as if I get my knickers in a twist when the Dalai Lama speaks out against something I happen to disagree with.
That's a relief I bet

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
soubresauts wrote
Ah, The Quiet Man, filmed in Cong, before the Vietnam War.
And I'm sure you had as much input into that yarn as I had into my OP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies