• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Rejoining Commonwealth in return for a United Ireland

Ireniall

We live in Northern Ireland. A different country.

Until you learn to accept that we will have a problem.
I know , I know. It's terrible but you know the f88king Irish-there's not a corner of the earth that they haven't reached including every part Ireland itself. You'd think that they might forget some little corner of the island but the bast*rds are everywhere and somehow-it's baffling really-but they actually think that Ireland is their country. I mean that just takes the biscuit.

Newrybhoy

I know , I know. It's terrible but you know the f88king Irish-there's not a corner of the earth that they haven't reached including every part Ireland itself. You'd think that they might forget some little corner of the island but the bast*rds are everywhere and somehow-it's baffling really-but they actually think that Ireland is their country. I mean that just takes the biscuit.
You can deny reality all you want,it's the Irish republican way.

It's easily done from the safety of the Republic.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
You can deny reality all you want,it's the Irish republican way.

It's easily done from the safety of the Republic.
Got that?

the safety of the Republic

Sounds almost as re-assuring as Dominic Behan's:
The sea, oh the sea is the gradh geal mo croide
Long may it flow between England and me
It's a sure guarantee that one day we'll be free —
Oh, thank God we're surrounded by water.
The Bould Ronnie does it for yers all right here:

Dearghoul

There was nobody at all there when these guys found it.

Terrus Nullus.

Not a soul.

Dearghoul

There was nobody at all there when the Gaels found it.

Terrus Nullus.

Not a soul.
Touche old boy.

I don't know how to do a fada. That too.

However the Gael's didn't pretend to make of it another place on a small Island (and entrap numbers of unwilling Firbolgs in the process).

recedite

The Gaels held sway for about a thousand years. Its almost that long since the Normans took it from them.
But before the Normans, and before the Gaels, milipod had already put the finishing coat of paint on his Newgrange monument.

Ireniall

There was nobody at all there when these guys found it.

Terrus Nullus.

Not a soul.
I'm trying to tell him that it's his country too -you know-but he has to share it with us like and have a bit of respect but..... Some of them came here still speaking Gaelic

Dearghoul

Lets not be too hasty here Cailleach.

A cost benefit analysis will help us through.

Costs: Alienation from more usual and growing cultural partnerships and markets(hundreds of years of continental connections) negative.

Alienation of newly found alliances. negative.

Elimination of European goodwill based on the above.negative

And now the benefits: Membership of a global arrangement with no hard and fast economic ties but with a wealth of goodwill from the mothership based on ties of loyalty to a foreign secretary/Prime Minister elect that refers to the inhabitants of this huge section of the globe as picanninies with watermelon smiles. I'll put that down as a negative as well on balance.

Eating humble pie in a relationship to what our forefathers did their utmost to set us free from. I won't go there.

Aha...knew there was something...closer ties with our Unionist co-inhabitants, under the benevolent gaze of our Mainland betters.

Oh look I'm going to have to put that down as a bit of a negative as well.

Sorry Unionists. But doing it in quite this way isn't a starter.

So yes, after exhaustive work, it might perhaps be no.

Last edited:

Newrybhoy

I'm trying to tell him that it's his country too -you know-but he has to share it with us like and have a bit of respect but..... Some of them came here still speaking Gaelic
Who are you to talk of respect?

You have no respect whatsoever for Northern Ireland or its people,instead pretending that it doesn't exist. The island was partitioned for s reason,the unionist fear that it would be Rome Rule,which proved 100% accurate.

There are two entities on the island of Ireland, as I said, your first task is to accept that.

Dearghoul

I think that old Rome Rule bogeyman can be laid to rest with a State funeral.

You'll have to think of something else.

Newrybhoy

I think that old Rome Rule bogeyman can be laid to rest with a State funeral.

You'll have to think of something else.
I didn't say it was current,(schools)however it was very true 100 years ago and was a perfectly legitimate reason for partition.

The laundries and thousands of dead babies are in your very recent past.

belcoo666

Would Southern Irish people be willing to rejoin the Commonwealth as part of a deal to get a United Ireland by consent?

While not a fan of the Commonwealth, I would consider it.

Also same question to NI Catholics and Protestants.
The Common wealth :rolleyes: :D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D

Ireniall

Who are you to talk of respect?

You have no respect whatsoever for Northern Ireland or its people,instead pretending that it doesn't exist. The island was partitioned for s reason,the unionist fear that it would be Rome Rule,which proved 100% accurate.

There are two entities on the island of Ireland, as I said, your first task is to accept that.
The Rome Rule of which you complain was a minor irritant compared to the mass exclusion which was attempted in NI. I mean the ban on contraceptives was highly embarrassing and childish but we all had to suffer it. What it meant was that the majority were still simpletons, incapable of properly understanding the limits of their legitimate jurisdiction in a free country which is exactly the same failing which allowed Stormont drive a horse and coaches through established democratic norms except that in the latter case there was an added malign sectarian selectivity to it.

I must say that I've always found it remarkable that prominent Unionists were so unrestrained in expressing almost racist depictions of southern society at various points through the troubles and after, John Taylor was a regular offender but far from the only one. I couldn't understand that people who had presided over such a pathetic shambolic failure that NI had been reduced to, were so retarded as to continue to openly express their prejudices against the stable and increasingly successful southern state which was still poor enough by European norms but made NI look like Haiti. Remarkably no Nationalist Irish politician ever responded to these redneck provocations that I remember. It must have been difficult to resist the obvious open goal that these people were offering but they did.

I presume that this bizarre feature of our discourse is related to the oft -mentioned propensity for Ulster Protestants and maybe all Protestants, to speak openly and bluntly what is in their thinking and that this was an unfortunate side effect to what is more often a positive trait. Allowances had to be made maybe. So then we had this horrendous soccer match in Belfast during which the southern officials and subs were subjected to unrepeatable and obscene threats and insults from scrotes in the crowd of the sort that every community has. But what struck me was Billy Binghams outrage that the southern supporters sang 'There's only one team in Ireland' during the next match between the two teams in Dublin some time later. What was this? Apparently Ulster Prods are human after all. They love the straight talking but don't like having to listen to it much.

Anyway-sorry for blathering on. The one and only Newton Emerson on why he is not the least bit Irish.

Not being Irish is a very serious and limiting problem for Unionists because it will mean that they will always be squatters and outsiders. They need to find a way to address it and we need to help them in as far as we can-which is not much.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies