• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Rejoining Commonwealth in return for a United Ireland

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
No they were not.

There were far more Catholics elected to Stormont than there ever were Protestants elected to the Dail.

The lack of knowledge of the NI electoral system,pre 1969 is quite astounding given the willingness to give opinions on it.
William Grant had been a shipwright (he rose to be minister for labour in the Andrews administration). In 1927 he declared to Stormont that he was one:
who never cared whether there was any Opposition in the House or not. I am glad to see them here, but if they went out of the House today I would have no regrets. I would not care if they never came back again.
Then, in February 1929, Craig introduced his Bill to abolish PR — just three months before the coming election. Sam Kyle, for NILP, knew what was being done. The Bill was:
deliberately designed to favour the Unionist Party in that it will make it all the more difficult for minorities to seek representation.
Along with that went the redrawing of constituencies. It worked: the UUP representation increased to 38, the Nationalists reduced to 11, Labour reduced to one seat, and the two independent Unionists evicted. Democracy in the Six Counties was so thoroughly de-mocked, the thirty-three Stormont seats (over two-thirds) were uncontested.

2lazy

I assume that excludes all those claiming "no religion", a cohort almost identical to the Protestant decline whilst Catholic numbers have been static for years?
I figured you would latch onto this post - seen as it's almost the 12th I was trying to throw you a line saving you from drowning in the ocean of facts about the NI goverment before the civil rights movement

Don't bite the hand that feeds ya

Gin Soaked

We know enough of our past. As for whether joining the commonwealth is a good Idea? Not sure.

The only justification is a sop to the unionist tradition. Would the commonwealth games stop UVF knacks causing mayhem down south?

In short, we will need enough bribes and sops to contain the Loyalist scumbag fraternity. And is that even possible?

The GFA was underpinned by bribing both sides with jobs for the boys. Stormont has failed precisely because both sides need to have power.

There has been no integration in education. Young graduates in Queens are all post peace process kids yet most were educated separately. We wasted 20 years through cowardice.

Barroso

You can check those stats for yourself.
I did.
There's a nice little list here.
To prove what a corrupt little place it was under the unionist regime, I'll take the Labour party stats.
1933. 8.5% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
1945. 18.5% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
1949. 7.1% of the votes, 0 seats (0% of seats)
1962. 25.4 of the votes, 4 seats (8% of seats)
1965. 20.4% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
These are just some of the starkest results.
While unionism mightn't have wanted any catholics around the place, it is clear that Labour was an equally big enemy and in parliamentary terms came off even worse.
I wonder what your justification for this would be, given that Labour was not an "enemy of the state"?

Newrybhoy

I did.
To prove what a corrupt little place it was under the unionist regime, I'll take the Labour party stats.
1933. 8.5% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
1945. 18.5% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
1949. 7.1% of the votes, 0 seats (0% of seats)
1962. 25.4 of the votes, 4 seats (8% of seats)
1965. 20.4% of the votes, 2 seats (4% of seats)
These are just some of the starkest results.
While unionism mightn't have wanted any catholics around the place, it is clear that Labour was an equally big enemy and in parliamentary terms came off even worse.
I wonder what your justification for this would be, given that Labour was not an "enemy of the state"?
The first past the post system had the same effect on parties to this day.it was and is the UK way. They had a referendum to change it and it failed. Go figure.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I did.
[...]
I was running through my mental list of NILP and lefty MPs at Stormont, until boredom set in:
  • 1925: Jack Beattie (Belfast E); Sam Kyle (Belfast N); William McMullen (Belfast W);
  • 1929: Jack Beattie (Pottinger);
  • 1933: Jack Beattie (Pottinger: expelled from NILP 1934); Harry Midgley (Dock);
  • 1938: Paddy Agnew (South Armagh)
  • 1941 by-election: Harry Midgley (Willowfield, created his own Commonwealth Labour Party 1942);
  • 1945: Jack Beattie (Pottinger — independent Labour, rejoined NILP in 1949); Hugh Downie (Dock); Robert Getgood (Oldpark); Harry Midgley (Willowfield — Commonwealth Labour);
  • 1946 by-election: Francis Hanna (Belfast Central);
  • 1949: Francis Hanna (Belfast Central, as independent Labour);
  • 1953: Francis Hanna (Belfast Central, as independent Labour); Murtagh Morgan (Dock);
  • 1958: David Bleakley (Victoria); Billy Boyd (Woodvale); Tom Boyd (Pottinger); Harry Diamond (Falls, as Republican Labour); Francis Hanna (Belfast Central, as independent Labour); Vivian Simpson (Oldpark);
  • 1962: David Bleakley (Victoria); Billy Boyd (Woodvale); Tom Boyd (Pottinger); Harry Diamond (Falls, as Republican Labour); Gerry Fitt (Dock); Francis Hanna (Belfast Central, as independent Labour); Vivian Simpson (Oldpark);
  • 1965: Tom Boyd (Pottinger); Harry Diamond (Falls, as Republican Labour); Gerry Fitt (Dock, as Republican Labour); Vivian Simpson (Oldpark);
  • 1969: Paddy Devlin (Falls); Gerry Fitt (Dock, as Republican Labour); Vivian Simpson (Oldpark).
And that's it, unless I missed a hero ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies