Religion in school

Lúidín

The Department of Education has instructed state secondary schools to provide alternatives for students who don't want to attend religion classes, Masses and other religious stuff.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0219/941717-school-religion/

Another baby step on the way to full civil rights for non-religious citizens but one that is already being watered down and resisted by the forces of ignorance. Today teacher organisations were first out of the traps claiming they would have to be paid more if kids move from religion to maths or English or any other subject.

It's a hard struggle and all uphill.

Catalpast

I loved Religion in School....:D

Probably the most important subject a young man or woman could study

- if its taught right....

Sync

I like the wording. “Religious instruction” is something to be phased out or at a minimum meaningful alternatives provided.

That said: I can see real value in a 30 minute weekly “Religious Studies” class for the first 3 years of secondary. Focused on all the major religions, their tenets, their history etc. Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism make about 50% of the people on the planet, Christianity about 35%. it seems reasonable for adults to leave school with a base understanding of their beliefs.

mr_anderson

I like the wording. “Religious instruction” is something to be phased out or at a minimum meaningful alternatives provided.

That said: I can see real value in a 30 minute weekly “Religious Studies” class for the first 3 years of secondary. Focused on all the major religions, their tenets, their history etc. Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism make about 50% of the people on the planet, Christianity about 35%. it seems reasonable for adults to leave school with a base understanding of their beliefs.

Can we also have part of that class time teaching why so much of it is utter rubbish ?

DaveM

Can we also have part of that class time teaching why so much of it is utter rubbish ?
Like an actual history of how each of the religions evolved as opposed to their own approved narrative? That would be no bad thing...

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
The Department of Education has instructed state secondary schools to provide alternatives for students who don't want to attend religion classes, Masses and other religious stuff.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0219/941717-school-religion/

Another baby step on the way to full civil rights for non-religious citizens but one that is already being watered down and resisted by the forces of ignorance. Today teacher organisations were first out of the traps claiming they would have to be paid more if kids move from religion to maths or English or any other subject.

It's a hard struggle and all uphill.[/QUOT

Where did the teacher unions say they wanted to be paid more?

Unions are stating the obvious - if a student or a group are going to another teacher for another subject - then you are going to have to hire another teacher to teach this student or group of students.

The minister hasn't thought this through - it will get very messy and will impact on the student expereince in school. If additional funding isn't in place it will mean that a a higher level maths teacher wih 16 students will also take on with another 12 pass level at the same time so that the 5 second years who don't do religion can have a maths classs. It is bonkers

Glenshane4

Why should children attending a Catholic school be taught anything about heresies? Perhaps, your suggestion refers only to State-owned schools.

Sync

Why should children attending a Catholic school be taught anything about heresies? Perhaps, your suggestion refers only to State-owned schools.
Sure, fully privately funded schools should feel free to teach whatever they want.

fergal1790

Get religion out of state run schools! no crosses or pictures of jesus or statues of martyrs or students wearing religious crap. No religion at all and then that time spent on Religious instruxtion can be spent on something important.

If lazy parents want their children indoctrinated they can do it on their own bloody time and at their own expense!

devoutcapitalist

I loved Religion in School....:D

Probably the most important subject a young man or woman could study

- if its taught right....
It was always a doss class for myself which most of us couldn't care less about. I used to Mitch off Religion class quite a bit.

Lúidín

It's a farse class anyway as many/most of the pupils don't give a damn about religion and that's not including the openly non-Catholic and atheist ones.

devoutcapitalist

I wonder If this new regulation regarding religion classes be extended to schools run by Religious Orders in the near future.

New Threads

Most Replies