Religious Orders Wealth Submissions

oscartango

About a decade ago I was involved in a civil service-wide inventory of property (both owned and rented). I recall that the Land Registry said that the Catholic Church was either the biggest property and land owner in the country or one of the biggest.

oscartango

It would be interesting to take a peek at Catholic Church investments too. A few years ago they were found to have invested in the London Rubber Company, which makes Durex !

The C of E was found to have invested in the arms trade !

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
The Major property holdings of the Catholic Church are listed in the following table. The property investments are divided into visible property holdings and hidden property holdings.

Figures obtained here

One can trace back the hoarding of wealth by the Catholic Church for selfish ends to its early history. We need only read Geoffrey Chaucer’s magnum opus “The Canterbury Tails” written around the 1380’s wherein he details churchmen who con and deceive the common folk into emptying their pockets and spending their last farthings for the benefit of the church and its officers.

Last edited:

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Wasn't that the Vatican Bank, Banco Ambrosiano which has now been rebranded after the Robert Sindona scandal?

I recall reading that they were so busy diversifying industrial shareholdings that they bought shares in a group which made some of its money from condoms:)

The Annual Report of the Church Commissioners for the church of England alone for 2008 shows some interesting returns on investments;

Page 56 where they declare individual investments returning over £6million;

(Numbers are in millions and the amounts relate to STOCK EXCHANGE AND FIXED INTEREST HOLDINGS VALUED OVER £6m

Royal Dutch Shell 103.7
BP 92.8
Vodafone 78.3
HSBC 75.0
Legal & General All Stocks Gilt Fund 63.4
GlaxoSmithKline 60.6
AstraZeneca 40.2
AXA Global Emerging Markets Fund 38.9
Fidelity Institutional
Emerging Markets Fund 35.8
BG 35.0
BHP Billiton 29.3
Tesco 27.5
Unilever 26.1
Treasury Variable Rate
Index Linked 2017 24.3
Nestle 22.9
Standard Chartered 21.2
Anglo American 18.4
Centrica 17.2
Exxon Mobil 17.2
Microsoft 16.8
Reckitt Benckiser 16.8
Treasury 2.5% Index Linked 2013 15.8
National Grid 14.4
US Treasury 2.375% 2025 14.1
Wal-Mart 13.9
Procter & Gamble 13.2
BT 13.1
Rio Tinto 13.1
Roche 12.2
Barclays 11.8
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial 11.5
AT&T 11.5
Prudential 11.2
Pfizer 11.2
VenCap 10 USD Fund 11.0
Novo-Nordisk 10.4
Arisaig Asia Fund 10.0
Aviva 10.0
Chevron 9.2
Scottish & Southern 9.1
US Treasury Variable Rate 2018 9.0
Royal Bank of Scotland 8.4

And this is a mere selection as you can see from that page in the report!

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/churchcommissioners/annualreport2008/2008report.pdf

I thought as I'd bothere to have a look at the CofE I'd maybe see if the Catholic Church in Ireland produce Annual Report and Accounts.

So I put into Google the following search terms: 'annual report catholic church ireland'

and the search returned a link to, and I quote (irony upon irony!): 'A look inside our prisons - CatholicIreland.net'

Can't see any Report and Accounts in the links after that;)

ah well.

FortyCoats

Quite obviously the people who posted the above haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Wouldn't ye all love to know how much the Church is worth? Nosey parkers.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Fill us in on the numbers then Fortycoats. If you are sure we don't know what we're talking about that implies that you do.

They've enough to employ lots of barristers to protect their paedophile community.

FortyCoats

I don't know the numbers. Nor does anyone else on this thread. Why don't you write to the Bishop and ask him? :lol:

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Why not just take it from them? Starting with the Christian Brothers INCLUDING the assets transferred to the Edmund Rice Schools Trust recently in order that the CB can turn around to the tame monkeys in Fianna Fail and plead 'an bheal bocht'.

All very honest and christian I am sure.

FortyCoats

Why not just take it from them? Starting with the Christian Brothers INCLUDING the assets transferred to the Edmund Rice Schools Trust recently in order that the CB can turn around to the tame monkeys in Fianna Fail and plead 'an bheal bocht'.

All very honest and christian I am sure.
That my friend, would be illegal. People left huge amounts of wealth to the Church to be used for good purposes, not to pay for an angry mob bankruptcy that's out of all proportion.

The Church has lots of other problems to deal with; not just the child abuse scandal.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

That my friend, would be illegal. People left huge amounts of wealth to the Church to be used for good purposes, not to pay for an angry mob bankruptcy that's out of all proportion.

The Church has lots of other problems to deal with; not just the child abuse scandal.
I'm aware of how many problems the church has as it keeps publishing them in a book they call the bible.

What if it was a choice between paying their rape-reparations and being crushed?

Tends to concentrate the mind.

joel

The Major property holdings of the Catholic Church are listed in the following table. The property investments are divided into visible property holdings and hidden property holdings.

Figures obtained here

One can trace back the hoarding of wealth by the Catholic Church for selfish ends to its early history. We need only read Geoffrey Chaucer’s magnum opus “The Canterbury Tails” written around the 1380’s wherein he details churchmen who con and deceive the common folk into emptying their pockets and spending their last farthings for the benefit of the church and its officers.

Didn't the Church of Ireland levy tithes on Catholics - not even members!

FortyCoats

The money is going into people's bank accounts. In as dignified a manner as can be. Sorry, but you won't be reading about it in the Sunday Independent. Reparation and recompense is a private matter for most people.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies