Reluctance of Irish Institutions to Accept the Irish State

FrCrilly

Hi All,

I recently learned that after the Irish Free State came into existence, a number of institutions were reluctant to accept it.

The two stories I have come across are:

1. Trinity College continued playing “God Save the Queen” at graduations until well into the 1930s.

2. The Irish Rugby Football Union failed to fly the Irish Tricolour at Lansdowne Road for some time after independence.

If anyone has any further information on the above or has similar stories, please feel free to write them down.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Prester Jim

My sibling says that TCD reluctant to look at Irish candidates for lecturer positions in many depths. Particularly knows of chemistry depth but says not the only one.

ruserious

Queens University, Belfast is still the same.

Analyzer

Hiring at the main brewing oligopoly on the island for decades after independence involved cheking out the applicants background.

If the applicant had family members who served in old Empire forces, that was noted as "an indication of good character". If the applicant served, that was an even stronger qualification.

They got away with it, because they had scale and power to prevent competition being established.

Of course it was nepotism. Thanks to their power in the local advertising market, not only was it never covered in the media, the media gave them immense reverence.

Raise a glass to the Traitor !!!

Spirit Of Newgrange

the Teeming masses that had to emigrate out of the place for most of the 100 year history of this State. Choice : dole here or a job elsewhere.

what a broken promise this State became. Whole towns and villages decimated. Whole families destroyed. Can you blame the Irish people for reluctance to accept this State ? Commie levels of taxation and government spending/borrowing.

We need to start 'the Second irish republic' with an executive, legislative, and especially a judiciary that the people can trust. With financial and monetary accountability and transparency.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Can you blame the people for reluctance to accept this State ?
Except the OP is not about the people being relunctant to accept the state. It is about the garrison of empire 1.0 being reluctant to accept the state. It seems to be mostly be about feelings of loyalty. One can understand - their privileges were removed. It was hard on them having to live at the same level as the peasantry.

Garrison of empire 2.0 uses the state, to ensure they keep their own priveleges.

redneck

There was and still is a reluctance of a lot of businesses to accept say the Irish language. How many businesses have staff available for Irish speakers? The state has forms and answering machines as Gaeilge.
But very very very few businesses or organizations.

Levellers

My sibling says that TCD reluctant to look at Irish candidates for lecturer positions in many depths. Particularly knows of chemistry depth but says not the only one.
Absolutely true. It is changing slightly because of the high cost of housing in Dublin. I know of one case where the candidate chosen had a five bedroom house and swimming pool in his country of origin and could only afford a two bedroom house here.

The Irish Times refused to call the Gardai by that name for many years.

eoghanacht

The Royal College of Surgeons along with the legal system was a bastion of CoI Anglo-Irish west Brits right up til the mid to late decades of the last century.

eoghanacht

Half Nelson

the Teeming masses that had to emigrate out of the place for most of the 100 year history of this State. Choice : dole here or a job elsewhere.

what a broken promise this State became. Whole towns and villages decimated. Whole families destroyed. Can you blame the Irish people for reluctance to accept this State ? Commie levels of taxation and government spending/borrowing.

We need to start 'the Second irish republic' with an executive, legislative, and especially a judiciary that the people can trust.
When credible allegations surface of gardai doing favours for judges, but these allegations are quickly brushed under the carpet by politicians and media, then it's hard to blame anybody for a reluctance to pledge loyalty to such a state.

If you're ever up in court, ask yourself - was that a knowing look that just passed between the judge and the prosecuting garda?

Politics matters

Hi All,

I recently learned that after the Irish Free State came into existence, a number of institutions were reluctant to accept it.

1. Trinity College continued playing “God Save the Queen” at graduations until well into the 1930s.

2. The Irish Rugby Football Union failed to fly the Irish Tricolour at Lansdowne Road for some time after independence.

If anyone has any further information on the above or has similar stories, please feel free to write them down.

Even today the D4 elite and their beloved Rugby have nothing but loyalty to their Queen.

They're ashamed to be Irish, "Ireland's Call" and the "Triple Crown" are both an insult to the sacrifices made by this countries founding Fathers.

The fact that they shamelessly stand "shoulder to shoulder" with unionist elites, who treated our people like second class citizens for decades is quite frankly disgusting.

Bleu Poppy

Hi All,

Playing "God Save the Queen", when there was a King on the throne, probably reflected the college's foundation by the first Queen Elizabeth. In the same way that thanks is given to her at various ceremonies throughout the annual calendar.

It has always been my understanding that it was the address of a sporting body's H.Q. that reflected the organisation's reluctance, or otherwise, to recognise the new state- the Irish Football Association being the prime example.

But, FFS, have you such a tiny mind, and so little to be doing on this frosty, snowy, evening, that you reach back 95 years to find something to outrage you? The efforts some people go to to find something to upset them after 48 hours of a potentially catastrophic weather event, when the government and its agencies have managed to address the vast majority of issues in good time, is simply beyond belief.

Dame_Enda

On TCD. They werent required to take Catholics until 1871 when the Universities Test Act was repealed.

Bleu Poppy

Even today the D4 elite and their beloved Rugby have nothing but loyalty to their Queen.

They're ashamed to be Irish, "Ireland's Call" and the "Triple Crown" are both an insult to the sacrifices made by this countries founding Fathers.

The fact that they shamelessly stand "shoulder to shoulder" with unionist elites, who treated our people like second class citizens for decades is quite frankly disgusting.
No loyalty to the Queen, but complete and utter loyalty to Munster and Ireland.

Politics matters

No loyalty to the Queen, but complete and utter loyalty to Munster and Ireland.
Yeah right.

If it were up to those bastards, the Irish state would be obliged to make a formal apology to the British people because of the actions of the IRA, then we'd be forced to rejoin the union.

jams odonnell

I must say that I feel very much the same way about a considerable number of Institutions in England who still think that we are a colonial outpost of France.

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

La Reyne le veult.

Guillaume Le Vainquer lording it over us English outside the houses of parliament. Cultural cringe at its worst.

galteeman

Maybe their spelling wasn't up to scratch.......

General Urko

Hi All,

I think both are firmly under the thumb now!

Analyzer

Read my avatar. That gest to the essence of their stupidity.

Some circuses are entitled to look down on others.....apparently. Actually they are all absurd.

New Threads

Most Replies