Remembering 1641

former wesleyan

Interesting that these depositions - apparently the largest of its kind in the world - have remained "secret " for so long. I wonder why that could be ?petunia

Estragon

Are they going to refer to what led to 1641?

ocoonassa

The Irish Times subbie thinks it's 1941they are remembering. :D
Some people actually remember 1941 and I think Big Ian might be one of them. There's no way on earth that the young lad in the tshirt can remember it.

former wesleyan

I wonder will the Aubane Historical Society fit the release of these documents into their " revisionist " theme ? After all their ilk have denied that massacres of protestants ever took place.

Green eyed monster

The absence of a similiar list of documents outlining the massacre of Catholics in Ulster during this period is of course... conspicuous, it was legal to pretty much do almost anything to Catholics in those times - all of England and Scotland were by this time united by their Protestant zeal (and by their shared monarch).

In any event we (the Irish) hadn't harmed the Britons in Briton-land (the island) for the last 1000 years, apart from during the Troubles. That must be utterly astonishing to any tourist to Irish history who probably expected a Braveheart theme of threatening Britain and what not.

Whatever sufferings may have taken place in 1641 is the direct result of their harming us in our land.... never forget that, it could be compared to a discussion of the sufferings of Cortez' colonisers in The Americas or the sufferings of English in Africa or India... Needs to be placed in the overall context, what were they doing here in the first place? James I had no illusions, he stated the plantation was to de-Irishise Ireland, to set up a Britania minor on this island, that is what they were doing there.

That century would be marked not just by the wholesale slaughter of Irish in Ireland (more than the few thousand of 1641) but by the pinching of their land. Another important matter of context is that the Protestant extremists in Scotland at the time (the Covenanters) before 1641 had threatened to invade Ireland to attack Papists, indicating how the removal of this population from the North would have seemed eminently sensible in the minds of the Irish Catholics at that time. Another matter is the falsification of the stories of atrocity and how these falsifications were used to spin in England for a full scale invasion of Ireland - they were used by the Puritans in particular... If those were false maybe these depositions were too? It is possible given that the idea of massacres of colonists in Ireland was politically explosive at the time that such things could have been exaggerated or perhaps... made up.. too.

Are they going to refer to what led to 1641?
And what followed it (makes 1641 look like a Celine Dion concert).

Anyway i detect a political agenda aimed at falsely claiming equivalence between 1641 and the history of British colonisation in Ireland (and of course if they can find out a librarian was sacked in the last 90 years, add that to the theme of our dark pattern of sectarianism and unreasonable hatred against the poor unfortunate British and their colonists).

He graciously thanked those who had invited him to the event and in a rather benign reminder of the Rev Ian Paisley of old, he asked God’s blessing of everyone in the room, adding, “and in the words of Lord Carson, who was a great man – he was well known to Trinity and to this city – what did he say? He said God save Ulster”, to a room that erupted in clapping and laughter.
Ah, Trinity never changes... ;)

Ah Well

Regardless of the ins and outs I'd imagine that these Depositions are very useful in a historical sense ... and perhaps also in a limited genealogical sense ....

I look forward to perusing those relevant to my own County

Riadach

These are depositions with a politically purpose. They do contain a lot of factual information I'm sure, by they are sources that shouldn't be swallowed hole. But it's a great achievement to have published such an important array of documents online, and should be useful to anyone who wishes to consider them objectively (and possibly those who don't).

Ah Well

These are depositions with a politically purpose. They do contain a lot of factual information I'm sure, by they are sources that shouldn't be swallowed hole. But it's a great achievement to have published such an important array of documents online, and should be useful to anyone who wishes to consider them objectively (and possibly those who don't).
Ah yeah, take with a pinch of salt and all that. Still, might be able to glean some useful info here and there :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies