Remembering Princess Diana on the 20th anniversary of her death

Golden Phoenix

Princess Diana died on 31st August 1997 in Paris.

Several TV documentaries about her this week.

She certainly made an impact and will be remembered for, amongst other things, her charitable works and bringing up her sons so well.

I remember a media creation. She was no more than incubator and doleful face. The moment she realised this must have been devastating. Right from the very outset - the announcement of the engagement - and Charles' throwaway "whatever that means" comment it was a trainwreck in progress. Difficult not to look at occasionally, though.

Gin Soaked

Agree with Des.

The recent documentary showing her frequently in tears on camera, actually made me change my opinion of her. Felt sorry for what was done to such a young girl. The cruelty metered out by Chas was stunning.

The Royals need him to take an early shower once Lizzie goes.

That said, the British Royals need to look to Europe for modern role models.

GDPR

As Des Q says, a media creation. A not really pretty girl in above her uneducated head with royalty. Puppy eyes, a pout, and a tall figure kept slim with eating disorders. She thought she had magical healing powers (!) Frankly I am not a fan and never was.

Charles has done much more substantial things, and had more to do with bringing up their sons than Diana ever did.

GDPR

Cruelly known in my house as Do-Di-Die-Day.

The Daily Mail has been on this for weeks, to distract from their support for BREXIT and the Tories.

eoghanacht

They done it.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Cruelly known in my house as Do-Di-Die-Day.

The Daily Mail has been on this for weeks, to distract from their support for BREXIT and the Tories.
Rots was living in the North of England when Di died and can honestly say the general reaction was underwhelming and nothing like it seemed to be down south at the time.

Ellen Ripley

As Des Q says, a media creation. A not really pretty girl in above her uneducated head with royalty. Puppy eyes, a pout, and a tall figure kept slim with eating disorders. She thought she had magical healing powers (!) Frankly I am not a fan and never was.

Charles has done much more substantial things, and had more to do with bringing up their sons than Diana ever did.
The Spencers are a far more ancient and aristocratic family than the Windsors, whom they would consider to be parvenus.

And to be fair to Diana, although she later learned to manipulate the Press to her advantage, she was in love with Charles when they married and he was unfaithful from the start. Public humiliation is hard to take, even if the upper classes have different ideas about marriage and fidelity to the Plebs.

Jeez, this is all a bit mean, isn't it?!
It's a sympathetic view to suggest that she was chewed up and spat out, by the media by the Palace and by her husband. She was a girl of little or no accomplishment when she took on the role. I'm certain that in her position I'd have been ground down in the mill too. She was presented with the illusion of luxury and comfort and sang prettily in her gilded cage for a while. If I were either of her children I'd never speak to my father again. But that's the royal family for you.

Ellen Ripley

Rots was living in the North of England when Di died and can honestly say the general reaction was underwhelming and nothing like it seemed to be down south at the time.
North of the Watford Gap is another country!

I was living in Manchester and she attended the launch of the new tram system, literally on the doorstep of the building where I worked. I had zero interest in seeing her, TBQH, and didn't leave my desk. :)

A Voice

It's a sympathetic view to suggest that she was chewed up and spat out, by the media, by the Palace and by her husband. She was a girl of little or no accomplishment when she took on the role. I'm certain that in her position I'd have been ground down in the mill too. She was presented with the illusion of luxury and comfort and sang prettily in her gilded cage for a while. If I were either of her children I'd never speak to my father again. But that's the royal family for you.
I agree.

So long as it is truthful. We have been fed Diana pap over the decades from some media groups and politicians like Tony Blair.
Truth hurts. I think she was somewhere between the airhead of the satirical periodicals and the latter-day saint of the tabloids. Whatever, it's a hard gig and she did OK. She was more human than the Windsors and she radiated warmth around her boys and they have benefited from that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies