• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

GDPR

Rots was living in the North of England when Di died and can honestly say the general reaction was underwhelming and nothing like it seemed to be down south at the time.
It was underwhelming in most parts of London too, where I was at the time.

I listened to the funeral though on BBC radio (don't have TV). The royals are pretty good at doing good events, even at short notice as this one was. I particularly liked the bell tolling every minute.

willow68

I remember watching the wedding on tv as a little girl and wanting a meringue dress just like hers. She was hard done by, but ultimately not that bright. The Firm treated her abominably, and as a passing observer, I feel Chas and his horse should ride into the sunset to leave Wills and his Beanstalk rule ....apparently these two are good for the British economy.

GDPR

I agree.

Truth hurts. I think she was somewhere between the airhead of the satirical periodicals and the latter-day saint of the tabloids. Whatever, it's a hard gig and she did OK. She was more human than the Windsors and she radiated warmth around her boys and they have benefited from that.
Her boys were brought up well by their dad. Note that both quite like Charles too who isn't as cold as Diana-lovers prefer to believe.

Old Mr Grouser

It was underwhelming in most parts of London too, where I was at the time.
That's right; but I think it was a matter of ethnicity, not geography.

You'll remember she died in he early hours of a Sunday. At that time I was still a slave to Sin and to The Law, and attending Mass at the Carmelites in Kensington Church Street. As I was going there the bus started to fill up with Asians and Black people all carrying flowers and similar, but even when they all got off at the same stop as me (they were heading for Kensington Palace) I never connected it with the death of HRH.

Banjo Baker

Judging by some of the stories coming out recently she seemed like somebody who was suffering from mental health issues. The incident where she threw herself down a flight of stairs whilst pregnant with Prince William really shocked me.

It can't have been easy for Charles having to deal with her.

Granted it was his own fault for marrying her in the first while still pining after his true love Camilla.

When did this site turn into "True Royal Romance"?
I think that the word "romance" never applied in the bilateral sense. You must remember the complete obsession with her that the tabloids sustained. Her death was a huuuge story and almost the best bit was the aftermath of John Bull's forced tears and the weeping, the wailing, the dumping of ashes on heads. Then Elton arrived to salve our collective conscience by singing in a sad voice. What a week.

No.

It just leaves me cold. Like crown bowls or curling.
She kept a seriously well-maintained hamster cage while in school. Behave yourself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom