• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

remove charitable status for religious to fund compensation scheme for Magdalene laundries victims

joeclogs

The government is reluctant to set up a compensation scheme for the deserving victims of the Magdalene Laundries. There may be many reasons proferred but the only one that matters to the government is the likely cost. When seeking compensation from the religious, the difficulties of proving liability are often mentioned. As a partial solution I would propose removing charitable status from organisations that currently qualify under the heading of 'the advancement of religion'. I don't know how much this benefit is worth to the various religious organisations but I imagine it is very significant given that they are exempt from income tax, cgt, dirt,stamp duty, dividend withholding tax etc according to the revenue website Frequently Asked Questions - Charities . Also significantly they are exempt from the new property tax. To me this is a neat solution that helps right a wrong, raises money for the state and helps to separate church and state.

ruserious

'the advancement of religion'

Tis a long time since Religion advanced around these parts. The retreat of Religion is more befitting.
Do Priests pay income tax?

IbrahaimMohamad

The government is reluctant to set up a compensation scheme for the deserving victims of the Magdalene Laundries. There may be many reasons proferred but the only one that matters to the government is the likely cost. When seeking compensation from the religious, the difficulties of proving liability are often mentioned. As a partial solution I would propose removing charitable status from organisations that currently qualify under the heading of 'the advancement of religion'. I don't know how much this benefit is worth to the various religious organisations but I imagine it is very significant given that they are exempt from income tax, cgt, dirt,stamp duty, dividend withholding tax etc according to the revenue website Also significantly they are exempt from the new property tax. To me this is a neat solution that helps right a wrong, raises money for the state and helps to separate church and state.
How much are Religious Orders benefiting from Charitable Status?

Popular Threads

Most Replies