Removing 'Fianna Fáil' from chorus of national anthem and army cap badge.

B

birthday

From a young age children learn or are exposed to our national anthem.
'Fianna Fáil' is used in the first line of the chorus and although the National anthem (1907) precedes the Fianna Fáil party by 20 years, I have always been left with the conclusion that this association of a particular political party with a child's exposure to national consciousness is not healthy in a democracy.
Similarly the army cap badge of the defence forces also contains 'FF' in the emblem.

There are at least two ways in which this issue could be addressed:
1) FF voluntarily abolish or change their name
2) The national anthem and army cap badge are changed.

Although some might wish for 1) to be implemented, it is unlikely and it might be more practical to adopt 2). I will leave it to the scholars to suggest the appropriate changes of words.

Aindriu

Lets go for the belt and braces approach and do both.
It was Fianna FAIL who CHANGED the anthem to use those words in the first place!

Warriors of Destiny my hole!

slx

It should be changed, there's no question about it.

Can you imagine the UK National anthem starting with "God Save our Gracious Tories..."

TradCat

Can you imagine the UK National anthem starting with "God Save our Gracious Tories..."
Yet they still managed to be the most successful party. So maybe it has nothing to do with the anthem or the cap badge.

But we should drive FF out of national life with our votes.

Its not really democratic to have a national Anthem with the words Fianna Fail in it.

It could and should be changed.

Maybe we should just go with our real national anthem.

All Rise

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8WSe3KhQI"]YouTube - EU National Anthem[/ame]

supermonkey

I am a Fianna Fail member and I support changing the anthem. More because it is a dirge than because of any putative benefit to the party. I also feel that no party including ourselves should be allowed use green white and orange on political material. Also Sinn Fein is a historical term and no currently existing party should use the name.

I am a supporter of a bunch of traitors and I support changing the anthem. More because it is a dirge than because of any putative benefit to the party. I also feel that no party including ourselves should be allowed use green white and orange on political material. Also Sinn Fein is a historical term and no currently existing party should use the name.

Fixed it for ya.

D

Duth Ealla

It was Fianna FAIL who CHANGED the anthem to use those words in the first place!

Warriors of Destiny my hole!
Its not necessarily warriors of destinty. Inis Fail or the Island of destiny is a poetic name for Ireland. Banbha / Eire /Fodhla being others.

Warriors of Ireland would be accurate enough.

Still I reckon the suggestion that we scrap both the party and those words be acceptable. There is an element of de-baathification required. Its too much to ask that some of those Fianna Failers will be found guilty in a state court and hanged but we could settle for this.

Grumpy Jack

Oglaigh na hEireann and Amhran na bFhian both came before Fianna Fail the political party - there is no way either should be changed. Should we give up everything from our past because it may have been tainted by FF.

The Defence Forces have a proud tradition dating back to the first volunteers and 1916 - why should it give up its cap badge and reputation because of a bunch of gombeen chancers?

The anthem translation from English into Irish in 1923 alludes to that tradition and the brave men and women who fought for our independence and the Irish warriors throughout our history. It should not be changed either because it has been hijacked by politicians.

Remove FF the party from Irish life instead of removing FF from the DF cap badge or 'fianna fail' from Amhran na bFhian.

Last edited:
D

Duth Ealla

The chances that the English anthem would include an Irish word is very small.

Social Conscience

Can anyone tell me of a country who has changed their national anthem over the past 50 years? (Excluding new countries that have appeared all over the landscape of course)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies