Renaming of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda

Estragon

Didn't see an existing thread, and not exactly sure this belongs under Health, but will leave further sifting in the hands of the mods.

There is a campaign afoot by the hospital management to rename Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. Unusually for this sort of thing, it seems to be running into significant headwinds both among the staff and among the local population.

Heartening to see I must say. Where an institution is a new build then it makes sense to name it neutrally. However with these established institutions, where the name has achieved verbal shorthand, and where it calls to mind the huge efforts made to have it built in the first place, why rename?

Thankfully, in the people of Drogheda, the culture warriors seem to have picked an opponent who isn't going to just roll over.

Outrage as Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda proposes name change - Irish Mirror Online

sic transit

Didn't see an existing thread, and not exactly sure this belongs under Health, but will leave further sifting in the hands of the mods.

There is a campaign afoot by the hospital management to rename Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. Unusually for this sort of thing, it seems to be running into significant headwinds both among the staff and among the local population.

Heartening to see I must say. Where an institution is a new build then it makes sense to name it neutrally. However with these established institutions, where the name has achieved verbal shorthand, and where it calls to mind the huge efforts made to have it built in the first place, why rename?

Thankfully, in the people of Drogheda, the culture warriors seem to have picked an opponent who isn't going to just roll over.

Outrage as Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda proposes name change - Irish Mirror Online
There is not as much outrage as people might imagine. It is a pretty logical step to rename it. I see Ged Nash in the middle of it, good politics on his part. Regional is a reminder to locals that it is the only one. They'll still call it the Lourdes regardless of its name.

fat finger

In case you hadn't noticed, Christianity is under attack again in Ireland, nothing new about this of course - most of our ancestors will have been educated in hedge schools - but this time the attack is vicious and it is sustained and they will not be happy until the Faith of Our Fathers has been fully eradicated and you have been turned into a communist loving zombie and yes, they are communists but the mistake you are making is expecting them to tell you they are communists, but commies don't operate like that, they always wear a caring and reasonable face but their hearts are dark and their motives not for a better Ireland which is why we fight them all day every day

ruman

fat finger

Why on earth you would want to preserve the name of a hospital with the shameful reputation Lourdes has i have no idea.

The Michael Neary hospital ? a fitting tribute to the man and the staff who deliberately removed all those medical records to cover up for the butcher

Bulldozing that sh*thole to the ground would be the best outcome for patients

Surgeon of shame - Independent.ie

Man allegedly abused by doctor received €70,000 from Drogheda hospital

One rogue medic does not define any hospital, especially one with such a long history serving its community with devotion and honour. By keeping the hospital's name, we pay tribute to the thousands of staff who have worked and work at the hospital in tough conditions under huge pressure, many paid little, and for nuns there was no pay at all, just the daily satisfaction of doing God's work, and we should never forget them, instead we should thank God for everything they did and continue doing for the thousands of families who have benefited from their care

wombat

Personally, I think all abortion factories should drop any religious reference

the secretary

It is now a baby murdering factory that the Nazis would be proud off.
The name is completely irrelevant.

brigg

I was delivered by Neary, and I admit I was bemused by the footage of a protest march during the week. Bit of a mystery to me. It's always been referred to as
the lourdes or the lourdes hospital.
I can only speculate that people above a certain age simply don't like change.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It's just so boring, all this 1950s style bumlickery of a nonsensical cult. I don't know any ladies in Lourdes so what the whole 'Our' is about I have no idea.

Should change its morbid death cult bulllshyte name to 'Wardie McWardface' or at least something that isn't redolent of the national mental servitude of the past.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Or at least something that would make sick people smile, FFS. There's enough pomposity in the world as it is.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The woman they are on about in Lourdes hasn't even the cupla focal and as far as we know has absolutely no connection with Drogheda.

Only elderly mad people think Lourdes is something Irish-related. But then they were carefully trained to think like that and they weren't overly bright or well informed otherwise.

Call the sodding thing 'Bernard'. Or 'Oscar' or something. It would be nice if we could stop using 'Massa' naming conventions from the old slave-pool.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Obviously doesn't like anything above the Arctic Circle. Not keen on Scandinavia either I see. Wonder if she gets a sort of celestial air-miles arrangement?

Couple of visitations to some young and impressionable teenage girls in Belgium and hey, ho, she has enough points racked up for the Immaculate AirBnB Weekend in Ecumenical Dubrovnik.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Either name the hospital with something like the word 'hospital' in the title or at some point in the future ambulance drivers who've lost the ability read at all will be circling around the area or trying to offload an appendicitis case onto the despatch ramp of the local sausage factory or something.

Or stop being such milksops and go hyper on the whole thing if it is so important to be named after something to do with a death cult-

'Our One Holy True and Apostolic Velvet Lined Ecumenical Big Hospital of Jesus Where You Can Get the Mammie's Pelvis Smashed in Honour of St Michael and Other Equally Mental Stuff' or something respectful of local history.

Estragon

The woman they are on about in Lourdes hasn't even the cupla focal and as far as we know has absolutely no connection with Drogheda.

Only elderly mad people think Lourdes is something Irish-related. But then they were carefully trained to think like that and they weren't overly bright or well informed otherwise.

Call the sodding thing 'Bernard'. Or 'Oscar' or something. It would be nice if we could stop using 'Massa' naming conventions from the old slave-pool.
Yes, it's obvious looking at Ireland today that has been massively successful.

Catalpast

Another underhand attempt to wipe out Our Identity !

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yes, it's obvious looking at Ireland today that has been massively successful.
Long as you don't look back at the era of the high tide mark of Holy Flying Mab's influence in the state you can remain myopic. Surely we can do better than our past.

The thing about the past is that you should actually move away from the mistakes when thinking about the future. And there was some seriously sick stuff presided over with a plaster statue in the room or a psychologically morbid image on the wall in the Irish past.

And there are some seriously negative associations with this hospital and that gothic social past.