Rent Supplement to be stopped for long term users

slx

Well, rent supplement / rent allowance is basically just another way of grubby friends of TDs who own crappy accommodation extracting yet more money out of the tax payer.

In a sensibly run country that didn't have crooks at the helm, they'd have provided proper social housing schemes.

corelli

ballot stuffer

Rents should collapse now. All rent supplements did was create an artificial floor for rents.

They are also looking at changing the rules for people on the dole to take up part time work any hours.

In other words someone working 3 hours per week will be allowed to work with the reduction taken from the dole for the hours they are paid.

hammer

Get rid of the tax credit on rent paid.

Single person €2,000 per annum
So if you have 4 lads in an apartment the cost to the state is €1,600 subsidy :) :)

beamish2010

Another example of the corrupt capitalist gombeens polices of the Irish establishment...

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Hmmm double-speak from a politician. Who'd have thunk it?

Yes rent supplement will be cut/stopped but I'm seeing an increase of people being offered the RAS scheme due to lack of social housing. Under the scheme the state pays full rent (more than they would with rent-allowance in fact) for a period of five years and recoup some of the cost from the tenant(s).

cricket

Rent allowance has been one of FF's nice little earners for their property owning buddies for years.

Franzoni

Well, rent supplement / rent allowance is basically just another way of grubby friends of TDs who own crappy accommodation extracting yet more money out of the tax payer.

In a sensibly run country that didn't have crooks at the helm, they'd have provided proper social housing schemes.
+1

I know quite a few FF supporters who only take people with the rent book into their properties....

I was unlucky enough to work for someone once who did maintenance on some of them and heard the way these landlords and ladys spoke to people with genuine greviences and always the cheapest way of barely fixing something....

Scum.....

ONQ

Lot of book rebalancing but none of this in any way relevant.

We need to stimulate growth and employment and create a banking system that lends.

Out to lunch with a former client today [soup and a water if you musht know] and he told me endless anecdotal stories about people in gainful employment who cannot get loans for anything - cars, extensions, you name it.

People can only pay out of current expenditure/savings in the range of say €20- 20,000.
Anything more and they need a credit facility - and that's the one thing we don't have.

All this nit-picking savings nonsense - load of rubbish.
You cannot stimulate an economy by savings!!!

That's not the way out of a recession!
We need a landing bank!

ONQ.

Ireland_sucks

Get rid of the tax credit on rent paid.

Single person €2,000 per annum
So if you have 4 lads in an apartment the cost to the state is €1,600 subsidy :) :)
Not until you abolish mortage interest relief (much more generous than the palty rent credit).

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I don't know what it is either
Rent supplement is a scheme whereby the government subsidises private landlords by paying them a portion of the rent and getting the tenant, usually an applicant for social housing, to pay the balance.

It arose due to the lack of social housing across the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies