Renua Goes Pro Life

Socratus O' Pericles

Golly another abortion thread... we have so few, this is going to alter perspectives and change minds.

Clanrickard

I don't agree with you much, but I do agree that it is important that all strands of opinion get political representation.

Time will tell the degree to which Renua's position is supported by the general public.
I think it is a clever move. There is a hard core group out there who are anti-abortion and they are not all wrinkly old bead rattlers. In most polls there is 30+ opposed to abortion and who want to keep the 8th. No one represents these people. If there is an election following the presumed vote on the 8th Renua will have a potential reservoir of support.

Sister Mercedes

And in your case, you're fine with this "murder" up until implantation. Which by your own logic is exactly the same as 12 weeks or 24 weeks or 30 weeks. So you're not prolife either. Just smug about your own form of pro choice. :rolleyes:
Ah now she's just a little bit pregnant.

'orebel

MjrMarv

"Fine Gael is socially liberal", claims Renua!
And less than a year ago they were describing themselves as liberal democrats.

Party councillor Pat McKee says that while the party is a broad church with members of different political persuasions, many within its ranks would consider the term ‘liberal democrat’ to be an accurate description of their beliefs.

“I think it’s representative of a significant portion of members,” he says, adding that some right-wing policies in the party’s manifesto were not.

Renua Ireland is going to change its name · TheJournal.ie

Cdebru

Pro-abortion people.
I'd say the amount of people who are pro abortion is even smaller than the support for Renua, pro abortion would be people who think abortion is great and every pregnant woman should have one.
Living in the real world and recognising that abortion is sometimes necessary doesn't make you pro abortion.

petaljam

Ah now she's just a little bit pregnant.
Or, alternatively, "pro life" people who are fine with pre-implantation destruction of human life don't actually care about protecting human life at all, but they do care about controlling women using pregnancy as the means to do so. So when the woman's pregnant (even just a little bit! ;)) suddenly their "care" for the unborn kicks in. Oddly.

It's not a coincidence that the same people who put the 8th into the constitution were traditionally very much against allowing women access to contraception too.

In fact you can even see the same views peeping out here from time to time, despite frantic efforts to keep that embarrassing atavism out of sight.

Cdebru

I think it is a clever move. There is a hard core group out there who are anti-abortion and they are not all wrinkly old bead rattlers. In most polls there is 30+ opposed to abortion and who want to keep the 8th. No one represents these people. If there is an election following the presumed vote on the 8th Renua will have a potential reservoir of support.
Potential but very few people vote on a single issue, abortion or anything else.

'orebel

I was going to say RenWHOa? but then I saw stats post and figured it would just look like I was copying him.
It's actually a good question. Just had a peep at there website and there is no mention of any actual people/representatives.

Who are Renua?

TheField

Sure, we always knew this. Renua just weren't honest enough to state their position openly. I suppose there's a few votes in the pro lifers and Renua may as well mine them. I'd be thinking this electorate might be the wrong profile for them though. Not much Renua in them.

statsman

I'm amazed it took 32 posts before anyone asked. Beat me to it.
I was going to say RenWHOa? but then I saw stats post and figured it would just look like I was copying him.
To be fair, thanks to this thread they may well have picked up three new votes. Increasing their FP tally by ~200%

'orebel

An e-mail spambot?
Renua: The long, painful demise of a political party

Though he declined to be interviewed, Eddie Hobbs has said Renua should be “economically conservative and socially liberal” and that it should rebrand as the Liberal Democrat Party. This seems likely to happen.

Translated, this means that Hobbs believes that Renua must shed its association with the anti-abortion cause, though the issue seems to run as an undercurrent in every discussion party members have.
:lol:

Bill

Are their former TD'S still members ?
Haven't got the Flanagan file in quite a while.

Clanrickard

I'd say the amount of people who are pro abortion is even smaller than the support for Renua, pro abortion would be people who think abortion is great and every pregnant woman should have one.
Living in the real world and recognising that abortion is sometimes necessary doesn't make you pro abortion.
It does. It is like saying I am anti-death penalty but I respect the rights of states to decide for themselves whether to have it or not. Either you think it is morally wrong for healthy woman to terminate the life of a healthy baby or it is not. If it is wrong then it should be illegal.

Potential but very few people vote on a single issue, abortion or anything else.
This is true but it does make people more sympathetic to you if your beliefs align with theirs on this issue.

D

Deleted member 17573

asked who wasn't pro-life, you suggested those who want abortion on demand. I am suggesting that pool is very small, as sod all would want it on a 30 week foetus
You might ask some of our more prominent pro-choice posters at what stage in a pregnancy they would favour withdrawing a woman's right to choose!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom