• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Repartition - a Plan B?

British Citizen

So, I had a spare few hours a few months back and went through the election results from the 2005 Local Council elections on a ward-by-ward basis and my statistics showed that around 65% of votes cast for Sinn Fein and the SDLP in Northern Ireland came from the wards to the south and west of the black line below. (Most of the 'green' wards to the north and east are sparsely populated)

Is Repartition a potential future Plan B in the event that the Nationalist community never reaches the much talked about 50%+1?

Could financial incentives be offered to Nationalists in west Belfast, Moyle, north Armagh, etc and Unionists in Fermanagh, Tyrone, Dundrum, etc if they wished to relocate to the 'right' side of a new border?

Instead of resorting to the tired old P.ie cliches can we actually have a grown up debate about this?

After all, it's one plan that seems to get support from both Unionists and Nationalists (though not in any great numbers yet). Surely that is something that should be looked at in greater detail?

murf13

So, I had a spare few hours a few months back and went through the election results from the 2005 Local Council elections on a ward-by-ward basis and my statistics showed that around 65% of votes cast for Sinn Fein and the SDLP in Northern Ireland came from the wards to the south and west of the black line below. (Most of the 'green' wards to the north and east are sparsely populated)

Is Repartition a potential future Plan B in the event that the Nationalist community never reaches the much talked about 50%+1?

Could financial incentives be offered to Nationalists in west Belfast, Moyle, north Armagh, etc and Unionists in Fermanagh, Tyrone, Dundrum, etc if they wished to relocate to the 'right' side of a new border?

Instead of resorting to the tired old P.ie cliches can we actually have a grown up debate about this?

After all, it's one plan that seems to get support from both Unionists and Nationalists (though not in any great numbers yet). Surely that is something that should be looked at in greater detail?

So the penny is finally dropping with you all.
The inevitability of a Republican majority is sinking in and once again you (loyalists) resort to the gerrymandering of boundaries to achieve your gaol?

Estragon

The inevitability of a Republican majority is sinking in and once again you (loyalists) resort to the gerrymandering of boundaries to achieve your gaol?
Hey, go with what ye know!

YoungLiberal

:lol:

The vast majority of the Nationalists get left in NI and none of the Unionists get stuck in the ROI. BC, you're a barrell of laughs.

British Citizen

You must have missed the bit where I said 'forget the tired, old P.ie cliches'.....

SideysGhost

50%+1 = end of Norn Irn forever. Get over it, stop being a pack of bollixes and start learning to get along with the people you are going to have to spend eternity sharing this island with FFS.

British Citizen

:lol:

The vast majority of the Nationalists get left in NI and none of the Unionists get stuck in the ROI. BC, you're a barrell of laughs.
Erm, you're wrong. Did you miss the bit where I said 65% of SF/SDLP voters are on the Republic side of the line?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Never. The peoples of the Six and 26 Counties have spoken by referenda. If a majority North and South vote for a UI it happens. You can't change the goalposts because you fear losing. Accept the people(s)'s decision BC.

British Citizen

50%+1 = end of Norn Irn forever. Get over it, stop being a pack of bollixes and start learning to get along with the people you are going to have to spend eternity sharing this island with FFS.
You sound like someone 'easy to get along with'...

British Citizen

Never. The peoples of the Six and 26 Counties have spoken by referenda. If a majority North and South vote for a UI it happens. You can't change the goalposts because you fear losing.
I don't fear losing. I know NI's position is safe within the UK.

Just interested in a debate. It seems most Nationalists are more intent on 'punishing' Unionists for the past - rather than creating a workable United Ireland.

British Citizen

oboe

BC - I think you have been a bit kind to yourself there.
If we were to consider this then the line would need to be pushed further East up till the Lough. This would place more Unionists on the 'wrong side' but would be fairer in the long run.

All rights regarding identity (passport etc) would also need to be guaranteed.

(Hypothetically speaking of course)

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I don't fear losing. I know NI's position is safe within the UK.

Just interested in a debate. It seems most Nationalists are more intent on 'punishing' Unionists for the past - rather than creating a workable United Ireland.
I think most of us would be prepared to make reasonable concessions with respect to questions like autonomy for unionist areas in a UI, Irish language in Six Counties etc. But all the reserved powers currently at Westminster would have to come to Dublin, and there would be a Federal Dail, and you would have to accept Irish taxation policy, immigration-policy, and the Euro.

British Citizen

BC - I think you have been a bit kind to yourself there.
If we were to consider this then the line would need to be pushed further East up till the Lough. This would place more Unionists on the 'wrong side' but would be fairer in the long run.
To move the line from where it is to the Lough would actually move more Unionists than Nationalists (in that area) into the Republic. Those dark green areas in the middle of Tyrone are virtually empty and give a false impression of the population there.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
When the border was drawn up 90 years ago it was thought to be a temporary arrangement and that it would be re-drawn in order to maximise the number of Irish nationalists in this country and pro-union people in Northern Ireland. However the border has proven to be such a success in its current position, I don't expect to see it moving one inch.

British Citizen

How about everything on under the black line and everything west of Loch Neagh, sound fair? You'd defo have 65% of current Unionists in that state, heck you'd even get a few Nationalist areas.
Another option perhaps?

YoungLiberal

Another option perhaps?

Grand, that'll do*.

*God love any Nationalists the wrong side of that line if such fantasy ever came to pass.

EDIT: You seem to have split Derry in half there for some reason, that was sneaky BC. I can't believe I did that. Actually, I want the tip of the Ards Peninsula. Fair is fair. Also, North Antrim around Cushendall, and that nice Island off it. It can be our West Berlin. West Belfast is a hole, you can keep that.

Last edited: