Repeal the 8th (Second Thread)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Keeps the mad old fart element of the population where we can see them I suppose. Quite the irony really as the Romans had much the same idea when they came up with the idea of crucifying people in public.

I suppose arranging matters so that the lunatics still carry crucifixes around is a nod to a very old and wise tradition.

Herr Rommel

So when you said exactly the opposite, do we have to assume you were lying?

Also, in your view, is it possible for the opinion that abortion should be legal up to birth to be a principled (albeit possibly mistaken) position?
I’d say it would take nothing out of you to abort an 8 month old fetus as a lifestyle choice.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Seems to be a marked lack of 'visionaries' around these days. There were some mad bastards around up to about twenty years ago who used to cultivate some public profile of being a 'visionary' for reasons of money, notoriety or ego but they seem to have disappeared from the dwindled ranks of the 'O'Murphahideen these days.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I’d say it would take nothing out of you to abort an 8 month old fetus as a lifestyle choice.
Personally my view under certain qualifying circumstances is that there is a lot to be said for allowing abortion up to the age of 80 for certain foetuses who may have actually made it onto the Council of State.

petaljam

You do realise that ending an 8 month pregnancy just means a barely-premature baby being born, right?

I've no idea why anyone would go 8 months of a pregnancy and then decide that they'd had enough - in my experience of pregnancy (BTW, how many pregnancies have you had, dear? :roll:) it's the first few months that are awful. Plus, a naturally-occurring labour is usually quicker and less painful than one that's been induced - but even assuming that's a thing, the only consequence would be a slightly smaller baby than a month later.

Poster really do show an ignorance of these "women's issues" as well as a deep mistrust of women when they come out with nonsense like this. And it is always male, "prolife" posters who post this rubbish.

MsDaisyC

Love Both ( and the rest of the Pro Life Movement ) will work together to rebuild a culture
that values life at all stages, day by day..... :cool2:
And then promptly forget about it once it's exited the vaginal canal.

midlander12

God on their side? Irelands moral minority rise up - Independent.ie

- Seven outside Lourdes lasted three hours.

- Peadar Tobin doesn’t want sex education in schools
Very interesting about the sex education issue - I had been under the impression that the abortion issue was a 'one-trick pony' for Toibin in terms of these 'moral issues' but it seems not. This is a quote from him in the article:-

'Implementing a uniform sex-education programme in schools has proved difficult until now. How do Catholic schools teach pupils about artificial contraception and gay relationships when the Church itself believes both are inherently sinful?

'"There is a big push to have uniform sex education in schools, but there is a danger that we create an orthodoxy that is a mirror image of the past. We should have a plurality of views," says Peadar Tóibín.'

What would this 'plurality of views' include, I wonder? Schools still teaching that homosexuality is a 'sin' in a society that had voted for both gay marriage and the right of gay couples to adopt? (I doubt a single person under 50 believes that at this stage). That life is sacred from the moment of conception in a society that voted 2/1 for abortion in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy?

Ironically, as far as I can remember Toibin actually supported the SSM referendum. In my view he's on a hiding to nothing in the Republic if he's pursuing this ultra-Catholic agenda. I'm not so sure about the North but I imagine Brexit and border issues will still predominate.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I recall the day the Fianna Fail Parliamentary Party got caught out by the times a-changin'. A group of them were photographed at Leinster House on the steps with 'Save the 8th' posters.

Bet you would have some difficulty in tracking them down for their thoughts on the vanished 8th today. They'll have run for cover.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Very interesting about the sex education issue - I had been under the impression that the abortion issue was a 'one-trick pony' for Toibin in terms of these 'moral issues' but it seems not. This is a quote from him in the article:-

'Implementing a uniform sex-education programme in schools has proved difficult until now. How do Catholic schools teach pupils about artificial contraception and gay relationships when the Church itself believes both are inherently sinful?

'"There is a big push to have uniform sex education in schools, but there is a danger that we create an orthodoxy that is a mirror image of the past. We should have a plurality of views," says Peadar Tóibín.'

What would this 'plurality of views' include, I wonder? Schools still teaching that homosexuality is a 'sin' in a society that had voted for both gay marriage and the right of gay couples to adopt? (I doubt a single person under 50 believes that at this stage). That life is sacred from the moment of conception in a society that voted 2/1 for abortion in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy?

Ironically, as far as I can remember Toibin actually supported the SSM referendum. In my view he's on a hiding to nothing in the Republic if he's pursuing this ultra-Catholic agenda. I'm not so sure about the North but I imagine Brexit and border issues will still predominate.
All part of the taught bipolarity of that cult's psychology. They tend to put everything in 'duality of opposites' categories (which actually is a known psychological trait in catholicism since the times of Augustine who was mostly responsible for introducing it).

Hell/Heaven, God/Satan, Good/Evil, Madonna/Whore, Agin us/With us etc. It isn't a psychology which allows for grey areas or nuance. So to Peader if modern life isn't catholic enough then it must be satanic :)

He can't describe anything in the middle so anything that departs from dogma is evil altogether- that is what he referencing when he attempts to describe an 'opposite orthodoxy'.

midlander12

All part of the taught bipolarity of that cult's psychology. They tend to put everything in 'duality of opposites' categories (which actually is a known psychological trait in catholicism since the times of Augustine who was mostly responsible for introducing it).

Hell/Heaven, God/Satan, Good/Evil, Madonna/Whore, Agin us/With us etc. It isn't a psychology which allows for grey areas or nuance. So to Peader if modern life isn't catholic enough then it must be satanic :)

He can't describe anything in the middle so anything that departs from dogma is evil altogether- that is what he referencing when he attempts to describe an 'opposite orthodoxy'.
Whatever, but Irish society prefers grey areas, and has done for a long time. Any party promoting pure Catholicism is finished before it starts. Plus Toibin was trying to claim at the start that other than being 'pro-life' he was not interesting in a 'churchy' party.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Whatever, but Irish society prefers grey areas, and has done for a long time. Any party promoting pure Catholicism is finished before it starts. Plus Toibin was trying to claim at the start that other than being 'pro-life' he was not interesting in a 'churchy' party.
Aye. Another one coincidentally following the church dogmatic line but apparently not at all linked to the church ;)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ronan 'Mullah' Mullen I am sure would have an array of explanations how his views on the 8th aren't at all religious but then that was part of the assertion from the O'Taliban crew during the 8th debate.

Mainly because they knew that the religious dogma approach wouldn't float these days. And Ronan having spent a considerable amount of time being secretary to a Bishop would know all about that!

midlander12

Aye. Another one coincidentally following the church dogmatic line but apparently not at all linked to the church ;)
Combine that with the personality of a dead cabbage - I don't think SF or FF have much to worry about. It's a bad day when one actually prefers FF or SF to something!

Telstar 62

Dishonesty is at the heart of all efforts to promote or advance the acceptance of abortion.

'Abortion is a normal part of 'healthcare'' (even if most doctors want nothing to do with it,
and many would leave their profession, rather than perform such a procedure).

making waves

I didn't know Proborts were the only ones who cared for human babies
after birth.... :roflmao:
Those who support the right of a woman to choose certainly wouldn't try and justify shooting a 14 year-old boy in the face by calling him a savage.

mjdav

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the actual breakdown of results from each Electoral Division from the referendum? Would this information even be freely available to the public? I know some local newspapers used to publish results but in my own county I didn't see any this time around? Would the county registrar's office be the best place to obtain this information?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Notice that the Referendum turnout was a new record by quite a large margin- 150,000 people more than the marriage referendum.

Bit of a surprise for me there as I thought the viciousness and divisiveness of the campaign would have resulted in a lower turnout but apparently not.

Pleased to see my own county went two thirds in favour of a 'yes' vote which is definitely landslidey territory.