Replication when it suits. Licence Fee to watch RTÉ player suggested.

ruserious

You may soon have to input your TV licence number to watch RTÉ online

According to the above article, Denis Naughton is considering replicating the UK system with regard to the Licence fee and BBC. In order to watch something on the BBC iPlayer, one must input their licence fee number which will only allow tv shows to be played if you've paid the fee.

The current non-compliance rate is running at over 13% according to Naughton and this is apparently too high and so he believes that replicating the above with regard to the RTÉ player may be an option.

My problem with this is, you cannot compare RTÉ with the BBC. The BBC for a start produce some excellent home grown content such as nature documentaries, Top Gear (which sells around the world) and many more.
Furthermore, the BBC is advert free in a nod to their funding which not only makes for a better viewer experience, but allows the State Broadcaster not to be influenced and dependent on private interests.

It seems that it is a case of replication when it suits. And it suits RTÉ to take in more cash to pay the ludicrous salaries of a very mediocre talent pool. I'm looking at you here, Miriam.

Speaking of Miriam. I believe she is one of a growing number of broadcasters at RTÉ to start a company and get hired on a contractual basis rather than being directly employed by RTÉ. Are these contracts put to tender and are they publicly available online?

Anyway, back on topic, recent discussions suggest that iPad and laptop users will also need to pay. How long before the iPhone owner has to?

NYCKY

I love this notion of all this "talent" at RTE taking to the hills and fleeing cruel Ireland. Where do they think all this "talent" is going to go?

All of a sudden BBC and France 24 are going to snap up hordes of underpaid RTE talent.

sic transit

Can't really put a show out to tender as it's more of a commission by the broadcaster or pitch by a production company. It is also a cheaper model than direct employment.

milipod

I love this notion of all this "talent" at RTE taking to the hills and fleeing cruel Ireland. Where do they think all this "talent" is going to go?

All of a sudden BBC and France 24 are going to snap up hordes of underpaid RTE talent.
[video=youtube;-AxW9MQ2qPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AxW9MQ2qPI[/video]

realistic1

According to the above article, Denis Naughton is considering replicating the UK system with regard to the Licence fee and BBC. In order to watch something on the BBC iPlayer, one must input their licence fee number which will only allow tv shows to be played if you've paid the fee.

The current non-compliance rate is running at over 13% according to Naughton and this is apparently too high and so he believes that replicating the above with regard to the RTÉ player may be an option.

My problem with this is, you cannot compare RTÉ with the BBC. The BBC for a start produce some excellent home grown content such as nature documentaries, Top Gear (which sells around the world) and many more.
Furthermore, the BBC is advert free in a nod to their funding which not only makes for a better viewer experience, but allows the State Broadcaster not to be influenced and dependent on private interests.

It seems that it is a case of replication when it suits. And it suits RTÉ to take in more cash to pay the ludicrous salaries of a very mediocre talent pool. I'm looking at you here, Miriam.

Speaking of Miriam. I believe she is one of a growing number of broadcasters at RTÉ to start a company and get hired on a contractual basis rather than being directly employed by RTÉ. Are these contracts put to tender and are they publicly available online?

Anyway, back on topic, recent discussions suggest that iPad and laptop users will also need to pay. How long before the iPhone owner has to?
The BBC is actually great value for the Licence fee. I use their website to download fantastic podcasts and the quality is excellent in comparison to RTE. If RTE goes down this road of limiting access to TV Licence owners they may actually lose revenue from advertisers.

TedHankey

That's the main part imo, talk about having your cake and eating it! For RTE the irish public is both a endless pool of funding thru the licence tax AND a product to be sold to private interests. We love a good flagellation, don't we?

NaivePlastic

i watch a fair amount of international player content like soccer republic, allianz league mass on sunday (occasionally) etc

so this will likely mean some sort of catch all gaa go type payment to gain any access at all

not worth it tbh i'd miss it but the content isn't good enough

paying to watch tubridy awkwardly bumble through an interview nah i can't do it

mr_anderson

Who watches bbc?

It's all about content.
You may not watch BBC TV, but you may watch what it produces.

The 30 best TV shows on BBC Store

The BBC has produced some of the greatest TV ever.
Luckily for everyone, some of it is available (for free) on youtube, re-affirming my point that you don't have to watch BBC TV to watch BBC programming.

[video=youtube;pq61jstTApk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq61jstTApk[/video]

This is where RTE falls down.
It lacks content.
It's title is state broadcaster, but in reality it's nothing more than a regional re-broadcasting station.
Every so often it produces a show that can be exported, but most of it is amateurish at best.

I think Pat Kenny is probably one of the best broadcasters it had (although he wasn't suited to the chat show format).
Solid command of the subjects he discussed, especially when politics and economics were on the agenda.
Although not a favourite of mine, Gaybo was also immensely professional, especially as he arrived on the scene when RTE was in it's infancy. There was no mentor for him, yet he outshone the station.
Nighthawks was also a little gem, but axed for reasons *ahem* 'unknown'.

Both Kenny and Byrne would have topped the bill at UK stations.
But who of the current crowd would ?

I often wonder if they halved salaries in RTE and put that money into trying out new talent and content, would it be a lot better ?
Or do we simply have a population too small to really make an impact ?

Lara2

But, according to the Journal article Naughton's plan goes further than being a replica. In the UK you just declare when prompted whether or not you have a tv licence, you don't need to input your licence number:

"New TV licensing rules in the UK came into effect last September, making it illegal for viewers to watch catch-up shows on BBC iPlayer without paying the licence fee. However, rather than inputting their licence number, viewers are prompted to declare if they have a TV licence when they try to watch any content on the BBC iPlayer.

Note this, he also wants to tax any device screen over 11 inches:

"In a bid to boost licence fee revenue, the minister recently announced that a charge could also be applied to electronic devices with screens that are bigger than 11 inches, which will include PCs, laptops and larger tablets. Smaller items such as mobile phones and standard tablets will be exempt."

ruserious

It's all about content.

Luckily for everyone, some of it is available (for free) on youtube, re-affirming my point that you don't have to watch BBC TV to watch BBC programming.

It lacks content.
It's title is state broadcaster, but in reality it's nothing more than a regional re-broadcasting station.
Every so often it produces a show that can be exported, but most of it is amateurish at best.

I think Pat Kenny is probably one of the best broadcasters it had (although he wasn't suited to the chat show format).
Solid command of the subjects he discussed, especially when politics and economics were on the agenda.
Although not a favourite of mine, Gaybo was also immensely professional, especially as he arrived on the scene when RTE was in it's infancy. There was no mentor for him, yet he outshone the station.

I often wonder if they halved salaries in RTE and put that money into trying out new talent and content, would it be a lot better ?
Claire Byrne is probably the only RTÉ-er who I would describe as excellent.
She far outshines Miriam by a country mile.

Hunter-Gatherer

RTE....over-rated, overpaid, overly politically correct and multicultural, and these days themselves and their sponsors are boycotted by myself.

gijoe

I watch the iplayer online via an unblocker and it only asks if I have a licence, to which I tick Yes, and away I go. No number required.

im axeled

as i never never used it, it does not bother me

im axeled

The BBC is actually great value for the Licence fee. I use their website to download fantastic podcasts and the quality is excellent in comparison to RTE. If RTE goes down this road of limiting access to TV Licence owners they may actually lose revenue from advertisers.
their over sized egos cannot accept that they are only tadpoles in an ocean

im axeled

That's the main part imo, talk about having your cake and eating it! For RTE the irish public is both a endless pool of funding thru the licence tax AND a product to be sold to private interests. We love a good flagellation, don't we?
is beginig to both hurt and pi$$ us off

im axeled

It's all about content.

It lacks content.

kenny tried it with itv, byrne tried it in both the uk and us, how come byrne had to be bailed out more than onece by rte, kenny is like he is on a rollercoaster, rte, utv, tv3

New Threads

Most Replies