• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Reporting Social Welfare Fraud: Your Opinion?

Druidess

I have noticed a huge shift in attitudes in Ireland over the last decade. In the Ireland I grew up in, informing on people to the authorities for fraud and petty theft was considered an awful thing to do. Shame attached to 'grasses' and 'rats' as they were known.

Now, when I return to Ireland I noticed a markedly different attitude towards things such a tax evasion and welfare fraud. Whereas before it wasn't considered such a reprehensible things to do, now it seems there is no tolerance for it. I see Dept Social Protection has found fraud worth over 500 million.

Social welfare probe finds fraud worth over €500m - National News - Independent.ie

I wonder how much of the above was uncovered through tips from the public?

I personally know of 2 women who claim One ParentnFamily Allowance while having their partner living with them, partner working, children's fathers contributing (partner different to Dad). I am sure other people are aware of this also. So it seems there is reluctance on the part of people to tell the authorities of such things.

What is your attitude? Would you inform if you knew the state was being deprived of revenue by someone not entitled to it, but perhaps needing it? Please discuss.

neiphin

your a rat , plain and simple

chef35

You say not entitled to but needing it. But there's a difference between need and want. Social welfare fraud is driven by greed, and becomes ingrained. So report the lot of them.

Crazy horse 6

As above your a rat if you do. Put your energy into protesting the bank bailouts at the expense of the less well off in our society.

corporal punishment

your a rat , plain and simple
Would you inform the gaurds if someone you knew, stole from you. Would that make you a rat?

Eire1976

I have noticed a huge shift in attitudes in Ireland over the last decade. In the Ireland I grew up in, informing on people to the authorities for fraud and petty theft was considered an awful thing to do. Shame attached to 'grasses' and 'rats' as they were known.

Now, when I return to Ireland I noticed a markedly different attitude towards things such a tax evasion and welfare fraud. Whereas before it wasn't considered such a reprehensible things to do, now it seems there is no tolerance for it. I see Dept Social Protection has found fraud worth over 500 million.

Social welfare probe finds fraud worth over €500m - National News - Independent.ie

I wonder how much of the above was uncovered through tips from the public?

I personally know of 2 women who claim One ParentnFamily Allowance while having their partner living with them, partner working, children's fathers contributing (partner different to Dad). I am sure other people are aware of this also. So it seems there is reluctance on the part of people to tell the authorities of such things.

What is your attitude? Would you inform if you knew the state was being deprived of revenue by someone not entitled to it, but perhaps needing it? Please discuss.
I have no time for rats who steal the nations money, keeping everyone in a state of high taxation to pay for them.

It's bad enough that we have always had a class of underachievers who think nothing of basically stealing form the nation while giving back nothing.

Imagine the damage to a child who grows up in that atmosphere, what goals can they have, what self respect?

Then we have the added bonus of people from other countries coming here to do the same.

I'd phone the hotline and donate any reward to rescuing the kids from the clutches of these scum.

firefly123

Theft is theft. To say otherwise is cute hoorism just like the bankers etc but on a smaller scale. It all needs to stop. Got a lad on the ambulance recently in his mid 20's who proudly told me how he never worked as he has a disability allowance since he was 18. I was bringing his 23 year old girlfriend to the hospital to have their 3rd child. He skipped into the back of the ambulance no bother. His dad did the same apparently.

neiphin

Would you inform the gaurds if someone you knew, stole from you. Would that make you a rat?
it depends who , why, and what
if it allows a family unit to keep their heads above water, i have no problems what so ever

Eire1976

Theft is theft. To say otherwise is cute hoorism just like the bankers etc but on a smaller scale. It all needs to stop. Got a lad on the ambulance recently in his mid 20's who proudly told me how he never worked as he has a disability allowance since he was 18. I was bringing his 23 year old girlfriend to the hospital to have their 3rd child. He skipped into the back of the ambulance no bother. His dad did the same apparently.
Monke see, monkey do.

Tea Shark

I have no time for rats who steal the nations money, keeping everyone in a state of high taxation to pay for them.

It's bad enough that we have always had a class of underachievers who think nothing of basically stealing form the nation while giving back nothing.

Imagine the damage to a child who grows up in that atmosphere, what goals can they have, what self respect?

Then we have the added bonus of people from other countries coming here to do the same.

I'd phone the hotline and donate any reward to rescuing the kids from the clutches of these scum.
Agreed.

Eire1976

if it allows a family unit to keep their heads above water, i have no problems what so ever
Theft is disgusting, they can ask or do some work for any money they need.

corporal punishment

No I agree with you. For me it would be case by case. If the people involved we're simply sponging and working the system then I'd have no problem picking up the phone, but if it was a case off feeding the kids or even giving them some semblance of a normal life then that would be ok, not ideal, but ok.

EUrJokingMeRight

The problem is that if a person doing a nixer is reported something gets done.
On the other hand if the government shoulder a debt, a private debt, that we have no legal, contractual or other obligation to pay, such as Anglo Irish Bank, onto the shoulders of Irish citizens then nothing gets done.

Both are indirect theft.

There is no difference.

corporal punishment

Theft is disgusting, they can ask or do some work for any money they need.
Politicians past and present, bankers, developers etc are stealing from the taxpayers because the system has set it up for them.

Thats not fair or right.

Catalpast

So what happens if a woman and her partner have say 2 kids and live together

Both are claiming SW and the man gets a bit of part time now and again

Its generally accepted its just not worth signing off for a few days work

- it can be literally be more than its worth to do so

If SW insist that the couple live apart

- then the kids will be deprived of the presence of their father in the family home

In cases like that I would leave them alone

- while decrying the wisdom of allowing such a system to come about in the 1st place..

carruthers

Politicians past and present, bankers, developers etc are stealing from the taxpayers because the system has set it up for them.

Thats not fair or right.
It's not, but two wrongs and all that.

White collar crime and political corruption should meet with huge fines and stiff sentences.

If you commit welfare fraud though you are as good as stealing from others on Welfare. There is only so much to go around and it's the State who decide how much welfare folk are entitled to. Any other way cannot be tolerated.

Eire1976

So what happens if a woman and her partner have say 2 kids and live together

Both are claiming SW and the man gets a bit of part time now and again

Its generally accepted its just not worth signing off for a few days work

- it can be literally be more than its worth to do so

If SW insist that the couple live apart

- then the kids will be deprived of the presence of their father in the family home

In cases like that I would leave them alone

- while decrying the wisdom of allowing such a system to come about in the 1st place..

It's all wrong and shouldn't happen.

When you say it's not worth it to work as you would earn as much on the dole, then the dole is too high or the wages too low.

It should always pay to work and the system should be angled to encourage it. Not just for the financial part but the mental wellbeing of the whole nation.

You can never have a sense of self worth if you exist off the back of others.

Eire1976

Thats not fair or right.
No it's not correct. All of them should become employees of the state if bailed out and made to earn all the money back for the people then be released from their contract.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies