• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Reports of another shooting in a Texus college

theObserver@hotmail.com

A college in the US state of Texas is on lockdown amid reports of a shooter on the campus.

Gunfire reportedly rang out on the campus of Lone Star College in the north of Houston.

Jed Young, a spokesman for the college, said students had been warned to take shelter.

There are unconfirmed reports of people injured. News helicopter footage showed ambulances at the scene and police swarming over the campus.
BBC News - US college alert amid 'shooting'

Early reports indicated that there were two gunmen. One gunman is believed to be in police custody and the other is on the run.

Paramedics are on the scene and are treating several victims. Students could be seen being led out of the sprawling campus with their hands on their heads. At least person being put into an ambulance. Police SWAT teams were searching the campus.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/22/multiple-shots-reportedly-fired-at-lone-star-college-in-houston/

Last edited:

neiphin

god bless america

Analyzer

I have never been to Texus. Sounds like they have a problem with gun violence.

Similar in ways to West Dublin, and indeed Limerick, I suppose.

neiphin

I have never been to Texus. Sounds like they have loads of gun violence.

Similar in ways to Limerick.
why be a pedantic ass hole ?

jwallz96

Republican logic: "Too many guns you say? Well there's a simple solution to that! More guns!"

APettigrew92

Surely you all mean "Texas", right?

And hate to say this but this is merely a direct by-product of their laughable laws on Gun Possession.

Laws stemming from the Indian Wars and fighting the Brits clearly hold no context nowadays.

jwallz96

I do find it amazing that people are still going to come out in defence of guns, after so many school shootings. It's gone beyond ridiculous now. Any word on what kind of weapon it was yet?

APettigrew92

I do find it amazing that people are still going to come out in defence of guns, after so many school shootings. It's gone beyond ridiculous now. Any word on what kind of weapon it was yet?
Most likely some semi-automatic or fully-automatic assault rifle, submachine gun or pistol. They seem to be favoured by the killers usually.

Texas is a notoriously gun-loving State.

Guaranteed you don't hunt with any of the above. Traditional hunters usually use some form of Bolt-Action Rifle, which doesn't suit your average maniacal sociopathic Teen killer.

jwallz96

Most likely some semi-automatic or fully-automatic assault rifle, submachine gun or pistol. They seem to be favoured by the killers usually.

Guaranteed you don't hunt with any of the above. Traditional hunters usually use some form of Bolt-Action Rifle, which doesn't suit your average maniacal sociopathic Teen killer.

It will be interesting to find out, as you say there's no need for anyone to have an assault rifle, unless you're a Navy SEAL. If they are so attached to their guns, fine, but small handguns should be the max. allowed.

Assault rifles are designed for killing, not for "self-defence" as the pro-gun lobbies like to so often claim

Radix

Poster amazed at those who express inordinate interest in defending gun culture, nonetheless ponders about the killer "weapon" himself.

Hmmmmn.

jwallz96

Poster amazed at those who express inordinate interest in defending gun culture, nonetheless ponders about the killer "weapon" himself.

Hmmmmn.
Good old conspiracy theorists

What kind of gun was used could prove a big point against pro-gun lunatics, because they say assault weapons are pretty harmless

R3volution_R3ady

You have to ask yourself a question.

Why don't these maniacs ever go on a rampage in a police station or an airport?

Oh yeah, that's right....I almost forgot. Because there are other armed men at those places. :roll:

Let the teachers carry guns and hire security. That will be the last school shooting you ever heard of from these cowards that are afraid to engage with other armed people.

Amnesiac

It will be interesting to find out, as you say there's no need for anyone to have an assault rifle, unless you're a Navy SEAL. If they are so attached to their guns, fine, but small handguns should be the max. allowed.

Assault rifles are designed for killing, not for "self-defence" as the pro-gun lobbies like to so often claim
First, most gun crime involves handguns. I don't know how "small" would make them acceptable for you.

Second, NRA-heads want to be able to defend themselves from the government. That's what they read in the second amendment. Handguns aren't gonna do it for them.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
You have to ask yourself a question.

Why don't these maniacs ever go on a rampage in a police station or an airport?

Oh yeah, that's right....I almost forgot. Because there are other armed men at those places. :roll:

Let the teachers carry guns and hire security. That will be the last school shooting you ever heard of from these cowards that are afraid to engage with other armed people.
And then they will go on on a rampage in a bowling alley. Or a department store. Or a Montessori school. Or a car showroom. Or a church. Or an industrial estate. Or a hospital. Or a Town Hall. Or a factory. Or a cinema (again). Or a monastery. Or a library. Or a theatre.Or a football ground. Or a racetrack. Or a bus station, or railway station. Or an airport. Or ...Or....................

Last edited:

jwallz96

First, most gun crime involves handguns. I don't know how "small" would make them acceptable for you.

Second, NRA-heads want to be able to defend themselves from the government. That's what they read in the second amendment. Handguns aren't gonna do it for them.
I accept that, but most if the shootings with high death tolls involve semi-automatics, and recently they've been becoming worryingly common.

The fact is you're never going to be able to completely ban guns in America because of the culture over there, which is why I think the guns that will do less damage or allow a shooter to be subdued if he attempts fire at a large contingent of people (because its much harder to disarm a person with a gun that will rapidly fire 30 odd bullets, than a person with a gun that has a comparatively small mag/slow firing rate) should be the only guns allowed.

Crazy horse 6

Americans are beyond ridiculous.

Analyzer

The NRA should set up a branch in West Dublin.

Bill

I was at a work location in Austin last year, while I was signing in at the security desk I noticed a sign stating that the carrying of concealed weapons was not permitted under state law, a while later I went to get a cup of coffee and was quite surprised when a guy walked past me with a gun holster on his belt

jwallz96

I was at a work location in Austin last year, while I was signing in at the security desk I noticed a sign stating that the carrying of concealed weapons was not permitted under state law, a while later I went to get a cup of coffee and was quite surprised when a guy walked past me with a gun holster on his belt
You need a permit, but they're not exactly hard to get by all accounts, which sort of defeats the purpose