• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Republican Dissidents & Threat Levels.

TruthInTheNews

The British have raised the perceived threat level from Republican Dissidents. What are the chances of a dissident republican attack in England?

Your thoughts?

Ozyedia

There's always a chance, but it seems perfectly clear that the dissidents don't have the manpower or skills of the provos. That said, something must've happened recently to justify the raising of the perceived threat level. There may be intelligence that a particularly proficient ex-provo bombmaker has been recruited, or the intelligence services may have heard chatter about a planned attack.

I doubt we'll see an attack on the scale of Canary Wharf or Manchester. More likely a cowardly killing of some individual or an IED directed at a soft target. Neither option will move anything an inch closer to their goals anyway.

9/11 changed the world and it will continue to prove incredibly difficult for the dissidents to get support.

Irish-Rationalist

I understand the frustration of the so-called Dissidents, and particularly in light of recent NI election results which clearly indicate that partition is not going to terminate any time soon. However, if the PIRA couldn't defeat the British having thrown their entire arsenal at them, then I don't know what makes these guys think that they can. Every periodic murder is just a token gesture, to remind Westminster and Stormont that they haven't gone away. As for achieving the Irish Republican objective, the Shinners are on the only viable path. The long war shall be continued with a long wait.

CastleRay

Whilst O'Donavan Rossa, Patrick Pearse and his fellow travelers' views and actions are revered and idolised, not only by historical romantics and fanatics but also by the Eire state, then there'll always be a threat.

between the bridges

There is only one answer to the nationalist jihadists, nuke the feckers...

Irish-Rationalist

NMunsterman

Irish-Rationalist

GDPR

Like all illnesses, Unionism can be viewed on a continuum, from mild to moderate to Jim Allister.
You have people out there a lot more extreme than Sunny Jim- Alan Campbell is the most extreme Unionist/Loyalist to my knowledge and he makes Honest Seamus look like a fluffy wiberal in comparison. I dont think that "between the bridges" has much politics outside of a confused and alcohol fueled love of evil in general and pomposity in particular.

NMunsterman

Why thank-you Munsterman...
You've got a good sense of humour in general in fairness to you - but your choice of grub at 3 in the morning, even allowing for being totally cabbaged, is almost unforgivable.

Enigma Variations

There's always a chance, but it seems perfectly clear that the dissidents don't have the manpower or skills of the provos. That said, something must've happened recently to justify the raising of the perceived threat level. There may be intelligence that a particularly proficient ex-provo bombmaker has been recruited, or the intelligence services may have heard chatter about a planned attack.

I doubt we'll see an attack on the scale of Canary Wharf or Manchester. More likely a cowardly killing of some individual or an IED directed at a soft target. Neither option will move anything an inch closer to their goals anyway.

9/11 changed the world and it will continue to prove incredibly difficult for the dissidents to get support.
Good summing up.
I suspect that they only issue these warnings when they have intelligence that something might be about to happen, but they're not very sure when or where - sending a sort of "we are on to you, don't even think about it", which is a better outcome obviously than 3 or 4 dead and a few clowns caught and jailed for a very long time.

ardsman

You've got a good sense of humour in general in fairness to you - but your choice of grub at 3 in the morning, even allowing for being totally cabbaged, is almost unforgivable.
I have haven't I....if only I wasn't one of themuns ffs....;-)

NMunsterman

I have haven't I....if only I wasn't one of themuns ffs....;-)
You are who you are and more power to you - no issue whatsoever there.
I would like to think that as much as you are an Ulsterman and British citizen (I am presuming you see yourself as British), you would also see yourself as Irish.
FFS - you greedy knuts have all bases covered - Ulster, Irish, British, Northern Irish :)

ardsman

You are who you are and more power to you - no issue whatsoever there.
I would like to think that as much as you are an Ulsterman and British citizen (I am presuming you see yourself as British), you would also see yourself as Irish.
FFS - you greedy knuts have all bases covered - Ulster, Irish, British, Northern Irish :)
Northern Irish first British second...funny thing is I don't have any beef with the Irish down south. I worked in Swords for a while and lived in Booterstown for over a year and loved it tbh. It's the Republican fckurs up here who we want to kill.....slowly....and over and over again...

Irish-Rationalist

You have people out there a lot more extreme than Sunny Jim- Alan Campbell is the most extreme Unionist/Loyalist to my knowledge and he makes Honest Seamus look like a fluffy wiberal in comparison. I dont think that "between the bridges" has much politics outside of a confused and alcohol fueled love of evil in general and pomposity in particular.
Alcoholism is a terrible illness. When it's mixed with Unionism, inarticulacy and and an incomprehensible Ulster-Scots dialect, it can be deadly.

Irish-Rationalist

Northern Irish first British second...funny thing is I don't have any beef with the Irish down south. I worked in Swords for a while and lived in Booterstown for over a year and loved it tbh. It's the Republican fckurs up here who we want to kill.....slowly....and over and over again...
Okay, enough of the lovey dovey. What do you really think of Republicans?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies