Residents Group Campaigns Against Sectarian Flegs

between the bridges

South Belfast Residents Against Flags (SBRAF) has hit out at slap ball fleggers...

"A bit of sensitivity wouldn't go amiss. There are residents who perceive GAA flags as sectarian and there really is no reason why supporting residents can't hang them from their own property or indeed from GAA 'grounds'.

"Can't be one law for one and another for everybody else. SBRAF does not support any flags hanging for any reason from public utilities. Hang your legal flags from your own property."

Some of the group's supporters criticised its stance on GAA flags.

However, the group stood its ground and said that it was important to adopt a consistent approach.

"SBRAF is against all flags on public property regardless of what they are supporting.

"No issue with flags being flown on private property," it said.

Residents hit out at GAA flags flown on Belfast lamp-posts - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

So folks were do ye stand, loads of flegs, no flegs or some flegs some of the time?

Personally moi'd like to see some regularization, an outright ban on all paramilitary flegs and a permit and time limit on others...

hollandia

South Belfast Residents Against Flags (SBRAF) has hit out at slap ball fleggers...

"A bit of sensitivity wouldn't go amiss. There are residents who perceive GAA flags as sectarian and there really is no reason why supporting residents can't hang them from their own property or indeed from GAA 'grounds'.

"Can't be one law for one and another for everybody else. SBRAF does not support any flags hanging for any reason from public utilities. Hang your legal flags from your own property."

Some of the group's supporters criticised its stance on GAA flags.

However, the group stood its ground and said that it was important to adopt a consistent approach.

"SBRAF is against all flags on public property regardless of what they are supporting.

"No issue with flags being flown on private property," it said.

Residents hit out at GAA flags flown on Belfast lamp-posts - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

So folks were do ye stand, loads of flegs, no flegs or some flegs some of the time?

Personally moi'd like to see some regularization, an outright ban on all paramilitary flegs and a permit and time limit on others...
No flegs on public property. Full stop.

Permit system yes. Time limit yes.

Aside from the sensitivities, they start to like like sh1t after a while, though local agreements can be made. There is a town in Co. Antrim where for a couple of years (don't know if it is still the case), the OO were asked to keep their bunting up for Civic Week. The arch and the flegs came down of course. But there's certainly scope for local agreements.

CastleRay

I don't mind street decoration of legal emblems. However, I'd like to see some permit system with a time limit relating to whatever event they are being erected for. I hate seeing flags left up long after events have passed or just put up to mark territory.

Se0samh

I don't mind street decoration of legal emblems. However, I'd like to see some permit system with a time limit relating to whatever event they are being erected for. I hate seeing flags left up long after events have passed or just put up to mark territory.

I knew it would happen...one day...:cool:

AhNowStop

Hmmm, would Unionists on here consider the UVF 1912 fleg to be "legal" ..... it seems its "somehow" currently being classed as that, but thats really a bit of a scam isnt it?.. what do youse think ?

in response to the OP, ban all flegs from public property and set time limits for the rest..

Paddyc

Hmmm, would Unionists on here consider the UVF 1912 fleg to be "legal" ..... it seems its "somehow" currently being classed as that, but thats really a bit of a scam isnt it?.. what do youse think ?

in response to the OP, ban all flegs from public property and set time limits for the rest..
Surely any UVF flag from any era would be a "paramilitary" flag?

Aindriu

Paddyc

Same as the Republic of Ireland flag then.
No.

The Irish flag is the flag of a nation as set out in the constitution of Ireland and recognised in every forum on the planet. The UVF are not a nation. They are in their current incarnation and were in their original incarnation, a paramilitary organisation.

One of these things is not like the other.

CastleRay

No.

The Irish flag is the flag of a nation as set out in the constitution of Ireland and recognised in every forum on the planet. The UVF are not a nation. They are in their current incarnation and were in their original incarnation, a paramilitary organisation.

One of these things is not like the other.
The uvf of 1960s onwards are not the uvf of 1912. Their flag did not become the Northern Ireland flag but the origins of the ROI flag are the same, just one now is historical and the other is current.

Se0samh

The uvf of 1960s onwards are not the uvf of 1912. Their flag did not become the Northern Ireland flag but the origins of the ROI flag are the same, just one now is historical and the other is current.

Post #15.........:)

former wesleyan

Given the contrary nature of the Northern Irish maybe there should be a law passed requiring everyone to fly a flag.

hollandia

Did the French gift the flag to the UVF as well? cute hoors, playing both sides...

Presented as a gift in 1848 to Thomas Francis Meagher from a small group of French women sympathetic to the Irish cause,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland

theloner

Crikey.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies