Residents Group Campaigns Against Sectarian Flegs

Paddyc

The uvf of 1960s onwards are not the uvf of 1912. Their flag did not become the Northern Ireland flag but the origins of the ROI flag are the same, just one now is historical and the other is current.
Were the UVF of 1912 a paramilitary organisation?

Yes

or

No?

Blokesbloke

I don't think any flegs should be hanging from lamposts, full stop.

vivabrigada

So how are its origins different to the UVF flag of 1912?
Yo, Ray, have a word with the British royal family, they had Windsor decked with tricolours a few years back.
I can't see them kitting the place out with UVF flegs, old or new.

GDPR

I don't have a problem with GAA flegs but a lot of decent Prods would see them as "marking territory", I think they should be reasoned with.

Aindriu

I don't have a problem with GAA flegs but a lot of decent Prods would see them as "marking territory", I think they should be reasoned with.
The problem is that the Protestants have an issue with GAA games because the Irish National Anthem is played/sung before all games. Also, a lot of grounds are named after IRA men - especially in the north. They see the GAA as an attempt to undermine NI as part of the UK and their Britishness.

vivabrigada

Fly a fleg from your own property if you must and leave it at that.
However, if any local sports team achieve something memorable, flegs and bunting for a few days would be fine by me.

GDPR

Fly a fleg from your own property if you must and leave it at that.
However, if any local sports team achieve something memorable, flegs and bunting for a few days would be fine by me.
What if someone is flying a UVF or UDA fleg from their house when they live across the road from a Catholic and/or Nationalist family?

I'm ambiguous about things like flegs and painted curb stones because they let people know which tribal territory you are entering if you aren't from the city which if you are wearing something that let's people know what tribe you are from can be very useful. However I don't think anyone can rationally see GAA flegs as in any way tribalist if looked at objectively, but at the same time I can understand decent Prods seeing them so subjectively (the indecent Prods of whom we are cursed with by some here are a lost cause). I really like the way that the Haredi anti-Zionist Jews go to people who or try to go to them who are actually anti-Semitic and explain things from their point of view.

redneck

It is good the UVF flags were taken down. It is also good that Irish tricolours are not flown near Unionist areas.
N.I must become a flag free zone in my opinion.

GDPR

The problem is that the Protestants have an issue with GAA games because the Irish National Anthem is played/sung before all games. Also, a lot of grounds are named after IRA men - especially in the north. They see the GAA as an attempt to undermine NI as part of the UK and their Britishness.
When I say Prods I don't mean Protestants, I mean the "PUL" tribe. Yes there is no denying the links between the GAA and Irish Separatism however you do have plenty of people who could be called "West Brits" easily in the GAA. It isn't "themuns" version of the Orange Order.

mac tíre

Same as the Republic of Ireland flag then.
FFS, Ray!

So going by your logic, the Union flag is a paramilitary flag?

And the Scottish flag?

Have you gone into head staggers' mode in solidarity with your beloved Tories?

Blokesbloke

What if someone is flying a UVF or UDA fleg from their house when they live across the road from a Catholic and/or Nationalist family?

I'm ambiguous about things like flegs and painted curb stones because they let people know which tribal territory you are entering if you aren't from the city which if you are wearing something that let's people know what tribe you are from can be very useful. However I don't think anyone can rationally see GAA flegs as in any way tribalist if looked at objectively, but at the same time I can understand decent Prods seeing them so subjectively (the indecent Prods of whom we are cursed with by some here are a lost cause). I really like the way that the Haredi anti-Zionist Jews go to people who or try to go to them who are actually anti-Semitic and explain things from their point of view.
:shock: See this is why I don't want to go to NI despise assures on here I would be safe!

Strawberry

:shock: See this is why I don't want to go to NI despise assures on here I would be safe!
You would be safe. Neither tribe is going to be annoyed by the presence of a visiting Englishman, its each other they get agitated at.

mac tíre

Perfectly safe, BB. Areas like that are generally a city thing - and even then it's not the norm - and even then it's mostly a Unionist thing - and even at that you would still be OK.

Except Larne. No-one normal goes there, except to escape by ferry. Even the seagulls stay away from Larne.

GDPR

Perfectly safe, BB. Areas like that are generally a city thing - and even then it's not the norm - and even then it's mostly a Unionist thing - and even at that you would still be OK.

Except Larne. No-one normal goes there, except to escape by ferry. Even the seagulls stay away from Larne.
Tea Eggs have a weird obsession with Larne in much the same way that Prods have one about Ardoyne.

CastleRay

Yo, Ray, have a word with the British royal family, they had Windsor decked with tricolours a few years back.
I can't see them kitting the place out with UVF flegs, old or new.
Indeed. The southern state adopted the republican movement's flag as their state's flag. I've no problem with that. But in the context of flying of UVF 1912 flags from a commemorative POV, I see it as no different from that of a republican tricolour in validity when republicans commemorate things.

Top Bottom