Residents Group Campaigns Against Sectarian Flegs

GDPR

:shock: See this is why I don't want to go to NI despise assures on here I would be safe!
I gave you no such assurances and I wont now.

That said if you "play safe" and keeps your wits about you most probably you would be alright.

Blokesbloke

Tea Eggs have a weird obsession with Larne in much the same way that Prods have one about Ardoyne.
What kind of obsession? They like these places or dislike them?

CastleRay

I don't have a problem with GAA flegs but a lot of decent Prods would see them as "marking territory", I think they should be reasoned with.
Whether it's marking territory or not, if there's a parade or a festival in an area it's reasonable to have streets decorated so long as the emblem is legal. People can put whatever they want on their own properties but there should be some sort of permit and time limit if lamposts and public property is to be used. Surely that's reasonable?

mac tíre

Tea Eggs have a weird obsession with Larne in much the same way that Prods have one about Ardoyne.
Funny, most of the Prods who live in it happen to have the same views. A bit like Portadown. (Did you know that Portadown is an anagram of A Prod Town? - Ye learn something stupid everyday, eh?)

vivabrigada

Perfectly safe, BB. Areas like that are generally a city thing - and even then it's not the norm - and even then it's mostly a Unionist thing - and even at that you would still be OK.

Except Larne. No-one normal goes there, except to escape by ferry. Even the seagulls stay away from Larne.
Chuck Norris wouldn't go to Larne, and not because he's a chuck.

GDPR

Funny, most of the Prods who live in it happen to have the same views. A bit like Portadown. (Did you know that Portadown is an anagram of A Prod Town? - Ye learn something stupid everyday, eh?)
Larne has it's charms, it is an acquired taste but I like the place, but it is not the nightmare that a lot of people paint it as. I have never been to Ardoyne but my waters tell me it is nothing like the Loyalist imagination of it.

Portadown though has a really ugly energy about the place.

Se0samh

Indeed. The southern state adopted the republican movement's flag as their state's flag. I've no problem with that. But in the context of flying of UVF 1912 flags from a commemorative POV, I see it as no different from that of a republican tricolour in validity when republicans commemorate things.
I see no ships.......:rolleyes:

Mickeymac

GDPR

Why do the people of Larne put up with that monstrosity? If that was my town it'd be burnt to bits within a week.
I'm opposed to the Windsors as you know (though not to Monarchy as such- and for the record the Rurik Tsars were among the greatest Christian rulers ever while as the Romanovs were among the two with one or possibly two or three exceptions) however I think that Crown is brilliant. It is a monument to Ulster Scot over the top-ness which I adore as long as it isn't destructive of self or others (which sadly it often is due to the influence of certain Anglo-Irish types).

vivabrigada

Indeed. The southern state adopted the republican movement's flag as their state's flag. I've no problem with that. But in the context of flying of UVF 1912 flags from a commemorative POV, I see it as no different from that of a republican tricolour in validity when republicans commemorate things.
Ray, the British decked out Windsor with tricolours because it was a STATE visit.
Comparing it with a UVF fleg (c'mon Ray, we all know who put those flegs up and why) is ludicrous.

Se0samh

Strawberry

I'm opposed to the Windsors as you know (though not to Monarchy as such- and for the record the Rurik Tsars were among the greatest Christian rulers ever while as the Romanovs were among the two with one or possibly two or three exceptions) however I think that Crown is brilliant. It is a monument to Ulster Scot over the top-ness which I adore as long as it isn't destructive of self or others (which sadly it often is due to the influence of certain Anglo-Irish types).
Its an eyesore. Monument to Ulster Scots blindness, more like.

GDPR

Ray, the British decked out Windsor with tricolours because it was a STATE visit.
Comparing it with a UVF fleg (c'mon Ray, we all know who put those flegs up and why) is ludicrous.
On serious level an argument can be made that the original UVF were actually worse the Troubles UVF in certain respects. A lot of white washing of them goes on though so that very many genuinely moderate unionists will defend those scum. The Tan War/War of Independence could have been avoided have been avoided but for them, just like the Troubles could have been avoided- which begs the question about the future if the likes of between the bridges are not dealt with....

Anyway any one interested in Ulster history should read this book which was written by a life long Protestant from Tyrone in 1913 who was a "Pro-Empire Home Ruler" (meaning he wanted Home Rule without Ireland leaving the UK) which goes into detail about the original UVF, it is very sober though obviously written in anger, and unintentionally funny though in a dark way given what was about to unfold;

https://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Ulster-Centenary-Classics/dp/1906359954

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom