Responsibility for outbreak of TB

richie268

Although no single person is responsible for any given outbreak of TB it would appear that some in the media would like a Witch hunt to begin and encourage a stigma to be placed on those who test positive for the illness.
"AS many as 336 people have been screened for Tuberculosis, half of them twice, in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak of the disease in a Cork primary school where 48 people have been infected"

" All 170 children who took part in the second round screening were offered the BCG vaccine. The vaccine was not routinely available to newborns in Cork city until two years ago, at odds with national HSE policy"

Read more: 336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak | Irish Examiner

It makes great headlines and puts the fear of humiliation into young children and their families for no reason other than the newspapers prime directive.
Welcome back to the 60s

richie268

Does this mean the return of 'showbands' :eek::eek::eek:

Give me TB anyday !

Come to think of it , Dickie Rock may have a lot to answer for .
Jokes aside for a minute as TB is no joke especially MDR-TB which is extremely hard to treat,
MY point is the way the Jurno chose their wording.
" in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak"

I find the news paper in question guilty of promulgating the view that the spread of this disease was some kind of a plot and somebody is behind it cloak and daggers,

quote"336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak"

I THINK WE HAVE REACHED A NEW LOW!

DaveMc

Local radio in Cork ‘identified’ the source of the TB outbreak and had the source ‘confirmed’ by HSE.
Suddenly, a large carpet seemed to be found under which the report could be swept (if needed) to appease the PC brigade.

Ulster-Lad

Jokes aside for a minute as TB is no joke especially MDR-TB which is extremely hard to treat,
MY point is the way the Jurno chose their wording.
" in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak"

I find the news paper in question guilty of promulgating the view that the spread of this disease was some kind of a plot and somebody is behind it cloak and daggers,

quote"336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak"

I THINK WE HAVE REACHED A NEW LOW!
The fact of the matter is that the source must be identified. If we fail to identify the source then it will continue to be spread. TB is an airborne disease spread by inhalation of the contagion.

TB has killed thousands of people in the past.

richie268

The fact of the matter is that the source must be identified. If we fail to identify the source then it will continue to be spread. TB is an airborne disease spread by inhalation of the contagion.

TB has killed thousands of people in the past.
Yes it is the source or the host that needs to be identified not the
"WHO IS BEHIND IT" as stated in the Examiner.
I am just commentating on the media spin! and the affects it may have on those children and their families, because when their sputum tests positive and they see the headlines they may feel guilt for their existence and be burdened with a stigma that is no fault of their own as happened in the 60s to many a family in this Country thanks to ignorance.

Last edited:

Odyessus

Yes it is the source or the host that needs to be identified not the
"WHO IS BEHIND IT" as stated in the Examiner.
I am just commentating on the media spin! and the affects it may have on those children and their families, because when their sputum tests positive and they see the headlines they may feel guilt for their existence and be burdened with a stigma that is no fault of their own as happened in the 60s to many a family in this Country thanks to ignorance.

While it is true that the source is obviously a "who", I agree the report is badly phrased, and implies the the "who" has some sort of moral culpability, when it may be some child who has not been vaccinated through no fault of his or her own.

However, I think the phraseology of the report is more likely to be the result of the usual journalistic ignorance than malice.

Cruimh

There are still cases of M bovis in Cork - which can be spread through food, though that is nothing like as common as it used to be.

Richie has a point - but the media are notoriously bad in presenting health issues.

DaveMc

Politicians are to blame for allowing non EU nationals into the country without health screening.

Like I posted earlier; the source was identified, but to run with the story would have ensured that the PC brigade would bombard the local radio station with anti racist comment.

Better to waste taxpayer’s money looking for an answer that suits rather than deal with the real cause.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Would it not make more sense to make entry into the state conditional on a medically certified all clear being submitted by those how are coming in? The other answer is to have health screening at points of entry. On way or the other though we pay. At least in the second scenario prevention and treatment would be budgeted for annually rather then sliced from existing and diminishing HSE resources pegged for other purposes.

Odyessus

Would it not make more sense to make entry into the state conditional on a medically certified all clear being submitted by those how are coming in? The other answer is to have health screening at points of entry. On way or the other though we pay. At least in the second scenario prevention and treatment would be budgeted for annually rather then sliced from existing and diminishing HSE resources pegged for other purposes.

People coming from countries with endemic levels of infectious diseases should be screened. And that includes people who "forget" where they come from.

richie268

People coming from countries with endemic levels of infectious diseases should be screened. And that includes people who "forget" where they come from.
I agree but wish to remind those that put the premise of TB down to non nationals is just pure stupidity.
TB holds no borders and no boundaries and has the ability to spread like wildfire and humans host the disease and there is no point in starting a blame game when the horse has bolted.
And remember it was the county of Cork that refused to vaccinate against TB despite the advice over numerous years from the department of health and only began doing so recently.
I feel sorry for any child that tests positive especially those with positive sputum although it appears that the strain is treatable (thank God or whoever) lets not point the finger!

Ulster-Lad

Last I heard, TB was/is NOT endemic to Ireland. It stands to reason therefore that it was introduced by non-nationals. Screening should be required from endemic countries.

Ulster-Lad

That is what the science says.

. TherecentincreaseinIrelandisassociatedwithnewimmigrants.
A World Health organisation survey of more than 67,000 TB patients in 77 countries, published in Brussels, identifies three new member states – Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia – as among those in eastern Europe and Central Asia where multi drug-resistant TB, known as MDR-TB, is rampant. (Anonymous, 2004b)
Although Africa has only 11 per cent of the world’s population, it accounts for more than a quarter of the nine million active TB cases and two million deaths caused every year by the disease. It is also the only continent where infection rates are increasing every year. (Anonymous, 2005)
The HPSC reports provide figures on place of birth of tubercu- losis patients. These indicate that the burden of tuberculosis falls more heavily on the foreign-born population – i.e. there is a higher incidence amongst the foreign-born (24.8 per 100,000 as compared with 8.3 per 100,000 for the Irish-born in 2005). This may reflect poorer living conditions amongst the foreign-born within Ireland, but given the extent of the differences in incidence rates between different immigrant groups (which are not reflected by corre- sponding differences in living conditions), it is more likely to indicate that they are already infected when they arrive.
Full article here.

http://www.nuim.ie/staff/dpringle/ssm09.pdf

Cruimh

From your own linked article ulster-lad

I show that the recent increase in tuberculosis incidence in Ireland is less than is popularly perceived. This increase is largely associated with economic immigrants attracted to Ireland by the ‘Celtic Tiger’ economic boom, but there is little evidence to suggest that this has had a negative impact on the Irish-born population.
Popular Perception vs reality - and the reality is that there is little evidence of a negative impact on the Irish-born population.

Ulster-Lad

Popular Perception vs reality - and the reality is that there is little evidence of a negative impact on the Irish-born population.
reread what you cited.

This increase is largely associated with economic immigrants attracted to Ireland by the ‘Celtic Tiger’ economic boom, but there is little evidence to suggest that this has had a negative impact on the Irish-born population.
This is what the science is showing in this matter. TB is on the rise again in Ireland mainly due to economic immigration. Of course there is also Bovine TB but that is not relevant to the discussion (unless you are a farmer).

There are multiple sources for this information from a variety of medical information sources.

Odyessus

Absurd nonsense. Of course an increase in the incidence of TB has a negative impact on the native population. I've rarely heard a more imbecilic statement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies