• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Restaurants in Ireland

gayguy2000

Having been out a few times in Dublin recently and having spent a lot of time in London lately, why is it that it is considerably more expensive to eat out here than in London? Is it due to more competition over there or are we being plainly ripped off? Why is a glass of house wine 5 or 6 euros here whereas you'll pay 3.50 or so over there? If we're really in the depths of recession etc, can these prices be justified? Are overheads here just far more expensive?
It's really outrageous that places charge 12/13 euros for a pizza in a restaurant, in this day and age...

redhead101

Having been out a few times in Dublin recently and having spent a lot of time in London lately, why is it that it is considerably more expensive to eat out here than in London? Is it due to more competition over there or are we being plainly ripped off? Why is a glass of house wine 5 or 6 euros here whereas you'll pay 3.50 or so over there? If we're really in the depths of recession etc, can these prices be justified? Are overheads here just far more expensive?
It's really outrageous that places charge 12/13 euros for a pizza in a restaurant, in this day and age...
+1. Cost of eating out in Ireland drives me bonkers.

Restaurants have priced me out of the market. I simply can't afford it.

martino

I like food and I like eating out but prices here are prohibitvely high. Here going out for a meal is more about 'status', 'special occasion' instead of enjoying good food at a reasonable price. Some restaurants do good Early Bird Meuns at competive prices, but it's the wine, as you say, that's a rip off. It must be tough on the restauranteers though, with high rents, costs and VAT. I think that's where the problem lies.

gayguy2000

People go on about early bird specials and lunch specials etc, but even those just bring it down to an almost reasonable price, and i dont think we should have to depend on specials to eat out.
Yesterday at a place on Parliament st, 25.50 for a pizza and a calzone, with tap water. That's shocking, 25.50 for some flour and cheese. And that restaurant is considered cheap.

cricket

I have yet to figure out why many restaurants add on a charge for groups of more than 6 or 8. You'd think it would be the opposite.

johnfás

Getting alot cheaper, you can get mains for a tenner in alot of places midweek both in the city centre and the suburbs. I haven't paid more than 15 for 2 courses in a long time.

SideysGhost

Never understood why pizza was so insanely expensive in the south alright.

In fairness there are some reasonable-ish deals out there now if you look around. Couple of weeks back we had a grand meal for two before the Bill Bailey show in a fine little Lebanese restaurant in Dublin. No drink involved but for a huge 3-course feed, large portions and great food - €43 (before tip). By Dublin standards I thought that was pretty good and a lot better than it would have been 2 years ago.

In NE Donegal, the Firebox Grill in Fahan and the Drunken Duck in Shroove both do great food at reasonable prices.

There's quality and (relatively speaking) value to be had, and I think if you find somewhere like that you should try to save a few shekels to give them a visit once a month to keep them going. What we need this recession to do is clean out all the overpriced tat, but keep the well-run places providing a decent product at a reasonable price going.

But really, somebody has got to do something about the price of pizza...

gayguy2000

Getting alot cheaper, you can get mains for a tenner in alot of places midweek both in the city centre and the suburbs. I haven't paid more than 15 for 2 courses in a long time.
Yes but mains for a tenner isn't groundbreaking. I was in a really nice kind of fancy bar/restaurant in Shepard's Bush last week and the Sunday Roast cost £7. I think a carvery lunch here in Dublin, without service, is about 13e. I wonder if it will be any different in the next few years.

The Caped Cod

I'm spoilt now living in France. €20 you'll get you a quite acceptable (by French standards, and approaching fine dining by Irish) 3 course meal. Throw ten or twenty euroe on top of it and you have a fine bottle of French wine to boot (and none of yer aul' Beaujolais either).
Ireland is, and always was, a rip off for eating out, amongst other things

Last edited:

jacko

Bottle of House Wine in Dunne & Crescenzi in South Fredrick St in Dublin is €15

If they can do it then everyone else is ripping us off !

and the food is great too :D

Schomberg

As long as there are eejits willing to pay stupid prices for meals out, someone will charge them. we all complain about prices yet we continue to pay. go figure.

gayguy2000

As long as there are eejits willing to pay stupid prices for meals out, someone will charge them. we all complain about prices yet we continue to pay. go figure.
well I can afford it, and i like going to restaurants and I'm unfortunate enough to live in Dublin so what choice do I have? Just because i can afford it sometimes doesn't mean I like paying outrageous prices though.

HanleyS

$10 for lunch would be about standard in Sydney. Try getting anything quality for that in Dublin.

The Caped Cod

$10 for lunch would be about standard in Sydney. Try getting anything quality for that in Dublin.
Breakfast roll and a packet of crisps I think.

johnfás

Breakfast roll and a packet of crisps I think.
You can get that in Londis on Grafton Street for less than 3 euro.

You can get a two course lunch for under 20 in both the Merrion and Shelbourne Hotels, two of our few truly quality hotels.

mr_anderson

The two main causes are rent & tax (VAT).
This gets compounded by the collapse in footfall.

As rents fall, so will prices.

The 'rip-off' element of Irelands restaurant trade has essentially ended, as many struggle to survive.
Unfortunately they are trapped by high fixed costs.
Thus, they hit the wall before prices even resemble those from overseas.

Given time, it will adjust.

DeputyEdo

well I can afford it, and i like going to restaurants and I'm unfortunate enough to live in Dublin so what choice do I have? Just because i can afford it sometimes doesn't mean I like paying outrageous prices though.
Seriously?? You can't see any option other than to eat out???
Try this: Grow your own food and/or make your own meals...taa daa!!!

gayguy2000

Given time, it will adjust.
I dont think so. I predict that there'll just be far less restaurants, with the same price setup, where only people who can afford it eat. Suburban areas have little choice when it comes to dining out, must be to do with high costs, and the psyche here that you've to spend a fortune to go to a restaurant. That's not the case in other countries. Such a shame.