• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Restoring the Latin Mass

zacchy

I'm only 17 but watching videos like this gives me pangs of nostalgia in my stomach:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... sa+cantata

I converted out of the Church of Ireland last Easter, and was received into the Catholic Church. When I was in the CoI, I always identified with the traditionalist Anglo-Catholic, high church wing. We used much of the traditional liturgy in worship. Although I am very glad to be Catholic now, I still miss the traditional liturgy. Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX. I am not bashing the Novus Ordo Missae, but it doesn't really float the boat for me.

That's why I'm very excited about the recent news that the Holy Father may be allowing wider use of the Missae Cantata(tridentine mass), although I only half believe it. But while he was Cardinal Ratzinger he criticized the ban on the old missal. A few groups like the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter are allowed to say the mass in pre-Vatican II form and they are still in full communion with the Holy See, but there's none near me :(

Here's another nice video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxh_SpPb ... ed&search=

So whattya think? Should Pope Benedict bring back the Latin Mass?

factual

zacchy said:
I'm only 17 but watching videos like this gives me pangs of nostalgia in my stomach:

I converted out of the Church of Ireland last Easter, and was received into the Catholic Church. When I was in the CoI, I always identified with the traditionalist Anglo-Catholic, high church wing. We used much of the traditional liturgy in worship. Although I am very glad to be Catholic now, I still miss the traditional liturgy. Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX. I am not bashing the Novus Ordo Missae, but it doesn't really float the boat for me.

That's why I'm very excited about the recent news that the Holy Father may be allowing wider use of the Missae Cantata(tridentine mass), although I only half believe it. But while he was Cardinal Ratzinger he criticized the ban on the old missal. A few groups like the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter are allowed to say the mass in pre-Vatican II form and they are still in full communion with the Holy See, but there's none near me :(

Out of curiousity, why did you convert?

zacchy

factual said:
zacchy said:

Out of curiousity, why did you convert?

For many, many reasons. I am fairly conservative in my theology, and the CoI seems to be rejecting many of the traditional Christian positions on matters like human sexuality, and women priests as well as other matters. Also, I re-orientated my theology towards Rome, mainly because of my studying of the writings of the Church Fathers.

I always find it funny when I hear Catholics going on about how 'out of touch' the Catholic Church is with the 'modern world'. I think they should join the Church of Ireland. They'd fit in well with the theological anarchists there.

Catalpa

I always liked the old 'latin' Mass a lot better than the modern form. It gave the Church a Universal format in which to celebrate the Mass.

TBH I think the Catholic Church should allow married priests and women priests.

I think that to do so would lead a lot of people back into the Church simply because a lot more priests would be ordained or return to the fold.

Indyjoe

Website
www.efrafa.org
I think the mass is probably better in lingua franca so that the people can participate and understand what is going on. But I am not in favour of reducing the wording of the Mass to the bare essentials and replacing a poetic phrase with a plain word, which a number of priests seem to do. Latin can aid an sense of mystery and cermony to the Mass that is often missing. But I think latin should only be used at certain masses.
I would like to see a greater use of Irish in Masses. There was a time when every parish had an Irish Mass on Sunday.

Gunnungagap

zacchy said:
I don't think one can experience nostalgia for something that predates one's birth, and I don't think your adopted theologies allow for past-life experiences.

zacchy said:
Problem is, I live in rural Donegal and the only traditionalists are ones in schism with the Holy See like the SSPX.
There are a number of priests who celebrate thetraditional Mass in Donegal and are not in schism. See http://latinmassireland.org. For example, I see they have a gig coming up at Rosnowlagh in May.

zacchy said:
Are you a Free P in disguise?
Such a move would only alienate people and discourage them from going to church. Church services should be conducted in a language that the congregations understand.

Shankill Browser said:
zacchy said:
Such a move would only alienate people and discourage them from going to church. Church services should be conducted in a language that the congregations understand.
I think what would be required would be pluralism. Restore the traditional Mass for those (many) people who want it, but keep the more contemporary Mass available for people who enjoy woeshipping God in that fashion>

baldur0300

Shankill Browser said:
zacchy said:
I think the problem is that VII eleminated the latin mass entirely rather than giving individual parishes a choice to hold both. Of course there should be masses in the language of the people but that doesn't mean that there can't be latin masses as well.

dubsthcentralboy said:
I think what would be required would be pluralism. Restore the traditional Mass for those (many) people who want it, but keep the more contemporary Mass available for people who enjoy woeshipping God in that fashion>
Sounds like a sensible option.

zacchy

Actually Indyjoe, pretty much everything you need to know is translated on the missal.

There's a debate going on among the clergy about whether the Polish masses should be mixed with English, to promote the intergration of Poles. The Polish Chaplaincy in Ireland(www.polish-chaplaincy.ie) provide extensive information on masses for the Polish community. Some masses are in Polish, some are in English. There's a danger of Poles becoming isolated from the rest of society. My local church has the whole English mass translated into Polish for the local immigrants.

On the priests issue, I am opposed(very strongly) to the idea of women priests. I refuse to even take communion from female eucharistic ministers. Just after getting back from a Novus ordo missae, and most of the eucharistic ministers were women. I took communion from the priest though. However I have nothing against women playing limited roles in the church, like helping with baptism(like St Phoebe, the deaconness, in Cenchreae).

factual

Latin mass isn't democratic. I can't believe how reactionary people are.

baldur0300

factual said:
Any chance you might explain that a bit. How is it undemocratic?

baldur0300

factual said:
baldur0300 said:
factual said:
Any chance you might explain that a bit. How is it undemocratic?
Inaccessible.
That's a reason against forcing it on people not a reason against allowing a parish community to decide that they will have some masses in latin

Wolverine

Maybe someone should develop one of those universal translator thingies that are in use in Star Trek.

Then you could just pop one in your ears and listen away to mass in whatever language you like.

factual said:
WHat are you talking about? Since when did rendering on to God the worship that is proper to Him about democracy?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies