• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Resurrecting extinct species

FloatingVoterTralee

According to the latest issue of National Geographic, scientists are now nearing the point where it will be possible to insert the mitochondrial DNA of extinct species (material is still genetically viable at an age of 10,000 years) into the sequence of existing biological descendants - i.e. there have been proposals to recreate the auroch through modern-day cattle breeding. Once the DNA has been inserted, successive generational breeding will recreate animals genetically identical to their ancestors. Questions worth noting include where it displays an element of hubris for humans to assume the right to recreate animals, having caused their demise, where the altered natural environment remains suitable for species development and, indeed, whether, say, a resurrected woolly mammoth could truly be considered a genuine revival, or merely a genetically-altered modern elephant.

Red_93

Heard a few years ago that the T-Rex's closest living genetic relative is the chicken. No idea how true that is though.

Mountaintop

Precisely the reason I studied biotechnology... had figured by this stage, I'd be building a better tomato, or raising my own personal army velociraptors to take over the world..

Finally!!

They said I was MAD!!....but I'll show them...I'll show them all!!!!...bwahahahaa

zakalwe1

did we learn nothing from Jurassic Park?

(the film, not the seanad)

FloatingVoterTralee

Apologies for putting this in the wrong forum, thanks mods.

Hitch 22

If DNA is taken from the Turin Shroud it should be used to clone Jesus and bring about the Second Coming.

Last edited:

Red_93

did we learn nothing from Jurassic Park?

(the film, not the seanad)
Interestingly, the word senate comes from the latin word senex, meaning old man. It was actually intended that senates have an older age profile to act as a sobering voice. And of course, the Irish word for old is sean.

Narcissist

I've always been amazed by the sheep cloning story. It's amazing to know we've managed to make a clone of a sheep. Just imagine that, a field full of sheep that all look the same...

Al Gebra

I read a great article about this a while back where they were looking at resurrecting the Thylacine (Tasmanian 'Tiger'/Wolf).
They have a preserved pup that they are trying to use as a blueprint.
I want one.

Kev408

Jaysus. They tell us this two days after Thatcher dies. Say it isn't so.

FakeViking

I've always been amazed by the sheep cloning story. It's amazing to know we've managed to make a clone of a sheep. Just imagine that, a field full of sheep that all look the same...
You have to look for the one with the twinkle in their eyes :)

firefly123

[video=youtube;4PLvdmifDSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies