• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Tuogid

Speaking on Newstalk this morning, the head of Retail Excellence Ireland has said that a number of international retailers have privately told them that they will be pulling out of Ireland in early 2012. He also said a number of smaller retailers are insolvent and will be going bust.

Not looking good folks.

Aindriu

As I predicted upon hearing of the budget. There will be tumbleweed blowing down our high streets. Baldy, far from improving conditions for retailers in this country, has made things far, far worse! Budget for jobs my hole! :mad:

dizillusioned

Speaking on Newstalk this morning, the head of Retail Excellence Ireland has said that a number of international retailers have privately told them that they will be pulling out of Ireland in early 2012. He also said a number of smaller retailers are insolvent and will be going bust.

Not looking good folks.
Have been speaking to a few friends in a few trades and they are of the same opinion. One name keeps coming up as a major loss to the city. It is only a matter of time before only major international chains are left in Ireland. The rent problem is a major one. Rates are too high. No cash left in the system means that retail in Ireland dying.

Yet not a damned thing is being done to maintain the jobs that are lost, all in the interest of Insurance companies etc.

Berty

Not looking good folks.
Well believe it. consequences of government blindly following crazy instructions. Yeah yeah I know they are signed up to this but raising VAT etc is NOT in the interest of the common good.

daveL

Have been speaking to a few friends in a few trades and they are of the same opinion. One name keeps coming up as a major loss to the city. It is only a matter of time before only major international chains are left in Ireland. The rent problem is a major one. Rates are too high. No cash left in the system means that retail in Ireland dying.

Yet not a damned thing is being done to maintain the jobs that are lost, all in the interest of Insurance companies etc.
got to protect NAMA

Clanrickard

As a retailer I may wellining the exodus. I feel like I am working for the government

Tuogid

Will we see another 10,000 jobs gone?

fuque

when the looting starts, at least we know the salaries of our government and who to target.

Aindriu

"when the looting starts" Burning and sacking Leinster House would be far more productive surely?

Tuogid

Increased fuel prices will cause the prices of goods to go up, as will the VAT increase. High rents still going up, high rates, why would any retailer want to stay open? My bet is that a lot of small retailers will get as much cash is possible before Christmas and go belly up in the New Year, leaving the revenue short on tax and lots more people on the dole.

Clanrickard

when the looting starts, at least we know the salaries of our government and who to target.
Start with the NAMA businesses.

Tuogid

"when the looting starts" Burning and sacking Leinster House would be far more productive surely?
Not if the traitors in there are still able to meet somewhere else. Leinster House aint the problem, its the goons that occupy it that are the problem.

Aindriu

Not if they are locked inside Tuogid.

fuque

Its a very well protected building :(
the gardai wouldnt risk personnal injury for those overpaidunderworkeduneducatedgombeentreasonisticfocks

Crazy horse 6

Will we see another 10,000 jobs gone?
It will be far worse than that i'm afraid. Personally i think the government are trying to encourage people to emigrate as at present it's the only reason we are keeping our heads above water. without it we would be looking at upwards of 700,000 on the dole.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
There is a definite retail bllodbath on the cards if what I am hearing on the grapevine in Cashel is true for January. Whole clusters of business are simply waiting out the Christmas period, and then preparing to go to the wall. This is especially prevalent in things like hairdressing, where the business can be moved "off street", and into the individual hairdressers homes, where they will be dropping down into the black economy. Also, the small chain local shops, they simply cannot compete anymore with the Tescos and Dunnes, never mind the effects of Aldi and Lidl... pubs also on the list for a major hit.. whole local economies are being slowly broken down and destroyed

Tuogid

Its a shame that the Irish wont ever grow a backbone and fight back.

Aindriu

We are led by cowards and traitors elected by the sheeple. What else do people expect??

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies